0.17 concerns

spikeyhat09

That finally explains why my personal laptop never ran the demo faster than 1 fps and runs Minecraft fine.

minecraft is very memory intensive but needs very little CPU and GPU

on the other hand KPS needs lots ram and CPU power and not much GPU

[frustrated rant]

How about the rockets simply ceasing to respond when you are trying to operate them?

I had a Mun landing lined up... touched down and the game froze.

NO PROBLEM!!! As a long-time save whore, I have just quicksaved mid-descent!

Boot up the quicksave, start my braking burn and THE ROCKET WILL NOT FIRE!!!!

I reload, same problem.

I reload, go out to the tracking station, re-select the craft (which usually fixes this) and the same thing happens.

I quit the game, reload from scratch, start the quicksave over and IT HAPPENS AGAIN!!!

I'm not worried about seeing any NEW features- I'll settle for having all the features in this version working solidly in the next one? ANY idea why things simply decide to stop working at random intervals? Or where in the save files I can go and turn them back on again?

[/frustrated rant]

Well one issue I have is that often the rocket simply isn't strong enough without lots of structural supports e.g. strapping on 3 side tanks requires 5 supports per tank. So very quickly, instead of having 6 parts (3 tanks + 3 side decouplers), you have 21. And as the rockets get bigger, you need more and more just to keep it controllable. Thus by making the standard connections more rigid and stronger, it would be easy to reduce the part count by requiring less struts. Similarly, as others have said, taller tanks would allow stacks of like 5 tanks to become 1 part.

But my pet peeve is that if I'm using time warp on approach to Kerbin re-entry, it doesn't automatically reduce the simulation rate when approaching the atmosphere. That is, if I'm near Minmus in an orbit with a periapsis of say 20km, at normal speed this will result in landing on Kerbin. But if I crank up the simulation rate to full, it just keeps orbiting and orbiting.

[frustrated rant]

How about the rockets simply ceasing to respond when you are trying to operate them?

I had a Mun landing lined up... touched down and the game froze.

NO PROBLEM!!! As a long-time save whore, I have just quicksaved mid-descent!

Boot up the quicksave, start my braking burn and THE ROCKET WILL NOT FIRE!!!!

I reload, same problem.

I reload, go out to the tracking station, re-select the craft (which usually fixes this) and the same thing happens.

I quit the game, reload from scratch, start the quicksave over and IT HAPPENS AGAIN!!!

I'm not worried about seeing any NEW features- I'll settle for having all the features in this version working solidly in the next one? ANY idea why things simply decide to stop working at random intervals? Or where in the save files I can go and turn them back on again?

[/frustrated rant]

Go to the bug report section and fill out the form so the devs can fix it so you no longer have to rage here. Be proactive not reactive.

Hmm, so I have 4GB of RAM, 2.2GHz and a... triple-core processor? Sorry, not sure what the CPU's are really... All I know is that compared to your numbers, my specs definitely seem like a big problem if I want to get to another planet. Sometimes my Munar rockets lag too much to fly manually, sometimes even MechJeb can't, and my rockets are pretty well built with a minimal amount of parts...

Go to the bug report section and fill out the form so the devs can fix it so you no longer have to rage here. Be proactive not reactive.

No offense- there is no crash report.

There is no logfile.

There is nothing to put into the bug report forum.

Last crashfile is from the day after I bought the game in August.

If I had a report, I would have transmitted it.

Barring that, I came with a concern to the area where concerns were supposed to be welcome.

I'm just saying that stuff like that gets more dev attention in the bug forms, if you still had the quicksave you could always attach that to the bug report so they can see what they can do. Plus this is 0.17 concerns not general concerns. Plus you don't need a crash report to file a bug report you just need to fill out this form:

Title: [bug 0.12 x3]: Escape Trajectories reverse directions when resuming physics

What happens: When resuming real-time flight, hyperbolic orbits (escape trajectories) have their directions reversed.

How to reproduce:

* From orbit, accelerate into an escape trajectory.

* Increase Time warp factor to a minimum of 5x.

* Decrease Time warp factor back down to 1x.

* Orbital direction should have become reversed at this point.

Notes:

* Happens regardless of the planet/moon being orbited.

* Particularly noticeable on Mun capture trajectories.

for the full post check out here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/3610-Bug-Reporting-Guidelines

I know- it's my concern that the Devs find and fix this before the new version comes out.

Others have voiced their concerns, I have voiced mine.

Critique them and thank you... reply no more.

You seem very hostile for someone who knowingly paid for a BETA version of a game.