Relativity Space (future launch provider)

tater

I know there was talk about how Terran R would be reused a few years ago in this forum, but I think it should be revisited. We are a week away from Terran 1's first launch, and next year is 2024 (Terran R's debut launch). I just am concerned we haven't seen any news on this from Relativity. My concerns are:

1. The lack of landing legs or any other recovery methods on Terran R's first stage.
  2. The Aeon Vac being the only engine on the 2nd stage.
  3. No heat shield on the 2nd stage.
  4. No landing legs/flaps/grid fins on the 2nd stage.

I don't know if maybe I missed a statement by Tim Ellis/Relativity regarding this, but it would be interesting to know! :D

On 3/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, Kerballlistic07 said:
  • The lack of landing legs or any other recovery methods on Terran R's first stage.
  • The Aeon Vac being the only engine on the 2nd stage.
  • No heat shield on the 2nd stage.
  • No landing legs/flaps/grid fins on the 2nd stage.

Part of that is we've only seen basic renders of what the overall vehicle will look like, so I'm sure the specifics are still being hammered out. That said.

1. Depending on how much room they have, it could work like Starship where they're in the skirt, and drop down. Or they've just yet to show their designs.

2. That's a good point I think, maybe it'll have an adjustable nozzle that can extend or retract in vacuum or atmosphere. 

3. All we've seen are basic renders, so I'm willing to wait and see on this one too.

4. Starship started out this way, they started adding flaps with later versions, and legs were more variable.

Edited by Spaceception

I don't think I'll be able to see it, if the window just opens at 1, I have a class at 1:30, and it would be rude to watch the livestream even in the background since my classmates are presenting today. Good luck to them though! Hoping for Max-Q, fingers crossed for orbit! I'll definitely be watching the replay.

Edited by Spaceception
Took a closer look at the launch window

Ach, another hold at less than a minute.

Edit: we're back on!

Edit edit: aaany minute now...

...least there's no music so I can background the stream.

Edited by AckSed
Please hold...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.