Old Mk.1 command module

Tornado77

@Tornado77 That’s not really an Easter egg. In the process of revamping parts, they’ve usually created a new part with the new textures, and hid the old one. There are a couple of ways to get the old parts back, and you’ve found one. The old parts are still in the game to ensure backward compatibility with people’s save games - which might still have old-style parts in flight.

How is it that the old one looks better? Look at it, it's got good contrast, with definite features. The new one looks muted, it looks like something you'd find in a mod 

Just now, Tw1 said:

How is it that the old one looks better? Look at it, it's got good contrast, with definite features. The new one looks muted, it looks like something you'd find in a mod 

IMO, the new looks better than the old. The old one is rather low-res, without much detail. The new one is much more detailed - you can even see the corrugated metal surface, just like the real Mercury capsule.

Mercury_MA7_CMSI_RK_2008_6.jpg

It's not bad, and I don't dislike it. The detail is nice up close partially, but further away and  it just doesn't quite pop out visually like the old one. 

Edited by Tw1

It is a slightly different shape too. It's another thing that still slightly bugs me about the new one, it's much closer to a  flat cylinder, it looks less like it's own thing than the old one which had that bottom curve, being done before we had heat shields. 

Edited by Tw1

5 hours ago, Lokachop said:

For me, they are both fine but i think the new one is kinda bigger than the old one.

That's why the old pod wasn't directly overwritten — to avoid breaking extant craft in saves. Well, they won't break but there would be clipping (eg. through heatshields) that could cause problems. In cases where they keep the same mesh or the part is small and radially attached (eg. Puff engine) the replacements are direct.

I'd like to see them make new alternate parts with the old meshes someday, so five years down the line the game isn't still loading unused content. Or will they remove them completely after a point?

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:07 AM, kerbiloid said:

Feeling old myself.
I was sure, the "old Mk1 capsule" is this.

Am I seeing things or are we still using the same parachute part?!? THAT has to be the oldest part in the game that hasn't been overhauled yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.