Smallest Functioning Space Shuttle

Vostok

The task is to create a shuttle (Not necessarily an SSTO) that has a orbiter that uses the least number of parts (or smallest mass), and that can be put into orbit and then safely land on Kerbin (like a plane, not with a parachute)

I tried this myself, and I've tested an orbiter that uses 6 parts. I've yet to send it into orbit however. It can't do any manoeuvring, since it is a pod with wings and wheels, so in orbit it will need some form of RCS stage that detaches before landing. When landing, it probably can land without the chute, but I can't make it do that yet.

screenshot930.png

The other one I've done, I made it look a bit nicer and also gave it an OMS, so it can de-orbit itself, and perform basic orbital manoeuvres. This is 16 parts (Pod, 3 wheels, 4 RCS, rcs fuel, 5 wings, cone section, landing chute) It flies really nicely on landing and, done properly, can land entirely without the parachute.

0343D9A2812E4C9E878695AEA30229341DBB6473

So, challenge outlined, a few examples, go to it!

I'll make a leaderboard here for further entries.

Special Commendation:

Have fun, and good luck!

(as requested, craft files added)

Edited by Vostok

Oh, I like this. Very cute shuttles! I'd like to see some without such an abundance of canards, though, because those can magically add energy ("infinite glide glitch").

On a tangent, I wonder if we'd ever see a parasail part?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.