Souptimes art gallery

Souptime

10 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Great job! The last one is quite nationalist, but still neat. When I draw, I never shade in the void of space, mostly because it's a lot of work, but also because of the pencil smearing on my hands, on the drawing, etc.

Thank you! I felt much the same about the last one. I wouldn't say "offensive" (the internet ruined that one anyway), but I feel it may overwhelm anybody who isn't American (and people who are). As for the shading of the background, you really need to get the smearing out of your head. It's time consuming, yes, but in the end it makes the picture come out a lot better.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus
Ay, new page!

3 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

As for the shading of the background, you really need to get the smearing out of your head. It's time consuming, yes, but in the end it makes the picture come out a lot better.

I do actually shade my drawings, but that much just, I feel like, smears all over the unshaded parts. When I color in large parts of space, I prefer to do it with a gray colored pencil instead.

Also, colored pencils are my favored coloring tool. Markers just bleed through everything, and crayons have super inconsistent coloring, get dull in five seconds, and if you want to do fine detailing, you may as well forget about it.

10 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

And ending it all, a drawing celebrating all of American space flight, as well as a message of hope for the future. I will admit, this one is aggressively American. I’ll take it down if people are too unhappy about it.

It has Orion in it, so I guess it's also a little European...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 4:59 PM, Ben J. Kerman said:

I'm a pretty big flag nerd. 

Wouldn't say I'm a flag "nerd," but I do enjoy quaint anecdotes about all flags, everywhere. Once, a peer in a history class asked when the Confederacy switched to the flag always used in movies and paintings, which was only ever their battle flag. I responded (cutting off the teacher) with a brief history of Confederate flags and he looked almost a little annoyed about me having answered it for him. (But in a good-natured way)

I'm currently tied over Utah's (the new one) or Antarctica's flags being the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.