The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (4th)

Mun circumnavigation complete! This will be a "stock craft" entry with only a few visual mods.

In this career mode playthrough, I am trying to savor the early game by really exploring the Mun properly. To that end, in the weeks before destiny showed me this forum topic, I built a nice orbital station, complete with a general purpose rover for science collection and missions on Mun or Minmus. I call it the Gnat.

Spoiler

9z2k4cl1sbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

For the purposes of the challenge, here are some screenshots of the Gnat launching. I did launch from the KSC and fly it properly to the Mun - that just happened a week or so before I heard of the Elcano challenge. I originally intended the Gnat to just be used for light duty science collection and career contract running on the Mun and Minmus. It had already made one landing and 20km rove and I liked how it had handled. So when I heard of the Elcano challenge, I decided to give it a try with the rover I already had.

Spoiler

hz78yactubj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

launching from KSC

ebsd61e4vbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

upper atmosphere

0mafkbzovbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

burning for mun

The Gnat was intended as a part of the whole Mun/Minmus exploration package I called the Munar Gateway Station. Here she is docked at her berth before the mission.

Spoiler

zqhonmiuvbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Arriving on the Mun:

Spoiler

6l6noxe2wbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Leaving the Space Crane at the landing site and proceeding to the start line:

Spoiler

5834ey3jwbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Placing a flag at the start line:

qza456etwbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Some fun pictures of milestones on the way:

Spoiler

49r8lmi1xbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

getting started

rvyjjn2axbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

paying our respects

12foe599ybj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

care package near the south pole, repair parts and some minor modifications to the rover.

uxanl21mybj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

found this by chance. weird spatial anomaly is visible that i see sometimes on the mun

After 27 days of driving when I could find the time, Bill and Dofrod finalled arrived at the finish line by the great arch. All the other Kerbals had come to celebrate.

01zp4sduzbj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

Circle of flags:

Spoiler

2yht7mjrlcj71.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Heading back home to the Munar Gateway Station to repair and prep the Gnat for Minmus:

Spoiler

093umyu10cj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

1y1jhbo80cj71.png?width=1280&format=png&

21 hours ago, Sp1f said:

Mun circumnavigation complete!

Leaderboards have been updated, congratulations!

Spelling 'Yay Bill' on the panels of the lander was a nice touch.  I have found docking rovers to rockets on the surface to be very challenging.  Your delivery and recovery sky crane setup looks great.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Alright, enough procrastination!

Minmus Elcano, aka Fast on a Blue Moon

Spoiler

TQszXEL.png

We're back to an Elcano, with the brand new Centipede Mark Two! As expected it's much sturdier than the mark one, but you go so fast on Minmus, the fore is a weakness anyways.

fuk0qx0.png

Touchdown in the Great Flats

GQ6mzuA.png

Our team:

wQzezEg.png

Let's get going!

xgYQ2E4.png

Casually jumping higher than the Empire State Building...

1Evwm2s.png

In a Flat, an old flag is found.

rgmsVyc.png

Pushing the wheels to their absolute maximum, I reach one third of the orbital speed, not bad...

JK6CAYb.png

From the Flats to the Highlands, let's find that monolith!

we3n3Ow.png

The Greenolith conveniently spawned close to the Equator.

nKdEyHZ.png

We are moving much, much faster than Minmus spins, so it's not suprising we end up running out of light.

CpTOSMh.png

We still find the fixed monolith.

4GiPOfG.png

Another flat, another flag.

zDKYb6P.png

Uh... how did that happen? Did I accidentally destroy all light in the Universe?

434oCvo.png

One sixth of Minmus to go

jQVTfJD.png

Just a bit further!

xfDJkKq.png

Done!

qoviGlE.png

Obligatory photo:

Ty60Y3N.png

And now we get going.

S1iD9Wn.png

This will never get old...

tzF3mb8.png

Not that much science was left, but hey, not gonna complain. The real science is the rocks you've treaded on on the way, or something like that, dunno.

mxIiJse.png

Ring of flag! No Elcano 5 because I am a derp who cannot count.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

38 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Ring of flag! No Elcano 5 because I am a derp who cannot count.

That made me laugh!  If I had a nickel for every time I’ve done that...

At some point in the past, the game stopped providing me with an unlimited supply of flags.  So I started marking progress with KerbNet markers.  I still like flags better.   But it did cause me to change how I name waypoints.

I label my waypoints now with the basic lat/long (ex. 05N060W).  That has reduced the number of waypoints I mis-label, but I still think dropping flags as you go is a more elegant way of doing it.

I’ll get your latest run added to the leaderboards soon, great post!

• 2 weeks later...

So, literally years after my mun circumnavigation, I've finally done a Duna one.

This is with modded KSP 1.11 in my career game, with a bunch of mods - notably SSPX and most of near-future. There are a few screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/WYWog6i .

The trip includes a 200-meter-long interplanetary ship, carrying 6 kerbals, plus a 16-ton rover with a SSPX greenhouse and a 20-ton crew land/ascent ship in a coaxial configuration (with help of some 5m annular saddle trusses). The rover lands by itself, then the crew land on the land/ascent ship, rover goes rendezvous the lander, all 6 crew transfers to the rover. All 6 crew then go on to visit all of Duna's anomalies and most of its biomes, ending up at the ascent ship to get back to the 200-meter mothership in orbit.

My SCAN BTDT shows the path taken quite nicely:

H6igumO.png

• 1 month later...

Eeloo circumnavigation complete!  The last one!  

Well, this has taken a very long time, but I have finally completed a circumnavigation of every stock celestial body in KSP.   Since @Fengist posted the original Elcano challenge, in March of 2015, only two players have completed a circumnavigation of every stock CB- I'm the third.  It's not quite 5 pm, but I'm having an adult beverage anyway.

Getting There:

Spoiler

The delivery ship in the VAB.  Taking two rovers, although I only need one.

6Cqhzjn.png

Sitting on the launchpad.  It's a night launch because that's when the first window to Minmus was, I like to launch directly into Minmus's inclination.

yrFrsC5.png

Refueling on Minmus.

90S8OxG.png

Not sure what I'm doing here- looks like I'm in solar orbit, burning to get to Jool, where I'll refuel again.

rlEVOmP.png

Refueling on Pol.

zlEK9i0.png

After two refueling, I finally reach orbit around Eeloo.  And have plenty of fuel.  I probably could have skipped the refuel stop at Bop.

4gaN7Tr.png

De-orbit burn at Eeloo.

QAqTJW1.png

Obviously not the most efficient descent, but I have a lot of fuel, and am being extra careful.

jwZCgWM.png

On the surface of Eeloo.  Sliding across the surface at 0.1 m/s.

V3Xy28B.png

The Drive:

Spoiler

Starting out.  To get the rovers to the surface, I just decouple them, and let them plop down.  The rovers are pretty sturdy.  They should handle a fall from 20 m no problem.

ArP1b8j.png

54 m/s was workable, although at 3X warp I usually traveled at 30-45 m/s.

KIXnhHa.png

Here's a shot at 3X physics warp.  For me, bad things seem to happen at 4X warp, so 3X is as high as I normally go.

zw2IPUN.png

I think this was my first flat tire.  The two containers on the back of the rover are full of repair kits.

78mcxYv.png

Shot showing my progress.  I drop a KerbNet marker every 30 degrees of longitude to mark my path.  I traveled along the equator, +/- 5 degrees latitude.

z2FY4cc.png

Might as well collect some science while I'm here.

UGltbII.png

Another shot of my progress.  I'm a little over halfway around.

JY8S9T5.png

Here's a shot of the front of the rover.  It's very basic.

1FuuQ8r.png

Almost there!  I'm within 55 km of the mothership, and got a flat tire.  In case it's hard to tell in the screenshot, the left rear tire is broken.

cxqsocq.png

So, the engineer got out and used a couple more repair kits.

qL16Rhm.png

Getting real close!

Zn4sKGf.png

Back where I started.

xD7JRHo.png

Here's a shot of the markers I left:

uKeqcjd.png

• 3 weeks later...

My Tylo circumnavigation is complete, and I've written an extensive mission report about it in this thread: 

The thread isn't currently completely finished. but I plan to write the remaining log entries in the next couple of days.

The craft is completely stock and no visual mods were used. Only took me 22 days of driving to complete, as it turns out that while big rovers look cool, they're not particularly practical. :D 

cmbYxJA.jpg

A little album I made showing the highlights of the mission:

Spoiler

Launch of descent stage

gcB4KQL.jpg

Launch of Odyssey proper

9x9xDHW.jpg

Transfer

ycbcm3r.jpg

Rendezvous

iiApbSG.jpg

Docked!

qEnQxtu.jpg

The planting of the first flag after landing

AiU5HZE.jpg

SCIENCE!

YAuXzVT.jpg

Uphill battle

caSHZYN.jpg

Visual bugs

hHhOI51.jpg

Climbing Mt. Kerlington

0uSlq2k.jpg

9D0Bn79.jpgMore driving

YPMTxOW.jpg

XgCzy5b.jpg

Fixing wheels

NEiUrsO.jpg

The North Pole

tC1qHIt.jpg

YYhGTFA.jpg

Party!

a7LvNui.jpg

G4m43LH.jpgFbOd0I9.jpg

Leaving North Pole

8JXhI6t.jpg

PUaP38w.jpgeDN5cWZ.jpg

Picking up some serious speed

ex3kEiA.jpg

Casually breaking half my power supply

YahcEze.jpg

Landing of the Tylo Ascent Vehicle, which I forgot to screenshot the launch of...

HCeQe03.jpg

ZSPAjqn.jpg

qL9SNa9.jpg

More rolling hills

7AUHCaQ.jpg

Jump

4H4TWeh.jpg

Taking a rest for the night

NgyFegf.jpg

Entering the dark spot where the Tylo Cave is located

mQKTQPv.jpg

First visual on the cave

BTD8yBF.jpg

sNIaYtc.jpg

PvIAtCo.jpg

Preparing a probe to send more repair kits to the Odyssey, which is running low on them

nLvxJES.jpg

Launch

Jip335r.jpg

ArxxlWh.jpg

Launch of extra crew module for the KSS Hampton, a ship that I used to capture a class D asteroid to build a space station around. The Hampton will be used to take the crew home from Tylo once their mission is complete.

JWNFRxV.jpg

Reconfigurations

4KxsO6L.jpg

UOF48at.jpg

Refueling

K5jhCHr.jpg

Exploring the cave!

01CHtXD.jpg

Placing science experiments did not go as planned..

vyn61JQ.jpg

9eSDvGt.jpg

And.. teleportation?

5JEBDLs.jpg

More cave photos

yDu4ynf.jpg

5Nk0Nsy.jpg

Ground science

3FnBXF0.jpg

Leaving Tylo Cave

J9DYb3T.jpg

Driving around a crater rim

ViTzW9L.jpg

MflBI0S.jpg

Another dark spot, located near the point on Tylo facing directly away from Jool

nOYVGRD.jpg

Halfway there!

Kg1e9s5.jpg

More boring hills

E6F7yFJ.jpg

B5yMQK8.jpg

Almost out of repair kits

NpPHgm8.jpg

Ditching the Mountaineer to save weight

CZCENGA.jpg

gDXuVRM.jpg

Casually got flung several football fields away

bTUXZ0t.jpg

The back is looking pretty jacked up now

YZCjZKw.jpg

Putting the mission on hold to deliver the repair kits and get the Hampton to Tylo

gm3ay3W.jpg

32c0Ndp.jpg

Gravity assist

4xGNUaa.jpg

Landing the resupply probe

VxA14mQ.jpg

OMV3ZHo.jpg

Continuing on

bHsbeaX.jpg

Valley with some pretty nice scenery

AglIN20.jpg

Mountaineering

JjaMCv7.jpg

6zX2kaI.jpg

DI23IvM.jpg

g4prLxK.jpg

fVjFBpK.jpg

10,000!

S8noaP7.jpg

Back downhill

xkSYpeh.jpg

Joolrise

5qP9Ro4.jpg

vXfK8Ue.jpg

The South Pole

pkYpqVb.jpg

gQBuFhS.jpg

seMWF0S.jpg

AcuNqVH.jpg

LGnkAn1.jpg

HF6SynT.jpg

NrpFgBV.jpg

North again

YxPiDoy.jpg

The interior of the Odyssey has suffered some pretty serious structural damage by this point.

9DkYSMe.jpg

Lost a bunch of wheels going up a mountain, meaning I now only have 23 of the originally 28 wheels.

MoPiqy9.jpg

500 km left

wN3OYFn.jpg

Powering up a steep hill

xxAANXz.jpg

NMnoxr3.jpg

wwExMsW.jpg

Picking up SERIOUS speed!

NchLfMH.jpg

200 km to go

6yHnRrb.jpg

HojiCKZ.jpg

The final obstacle: the crater rim

N3NDqwY.jpg

XBz3WU2.jpg

SiAemgS.jpg

nypKU6R.jpg

tYwrpHP.jpg

Ascent vehicle in the distance

W5nJhRw.jpg

The Finish Line!

BuKAiFJ.jpg

pIQbnMV.jpg

Final parking

TaEg3Xc.jpg

The Hampton approaching Jool

X5Fm1sy.jpg

Tylo orbit insertion

uqapcUQ.jpg

Boarding the Ascent Vehicle

OI9ltp0.jpg

5K49q6i.jpg

Powering down the Odyssey for the last time

bTigk6m.jpg

Liftoff!

xaaGmn7.jpg

688Jkei.jpg

cuZYsdz.jpg

Rendezvous

HnRDYLR.jpg

g67F5dq.jpg

Boarding the Hampton

0Jm0VTB.jpg

Kerbin return trajectory

NNz2sAt.jpg

Ejection burn

lGldF8X.jpg

knb7sJh.jpg

yILmW9j.jpg

Kerbin orbit insertion

KYNNjFI.jpg

Detaching the crew module with the Odyssey crew

Ce7auFi.jpg

Re-entry

h4iHs95.jpg

FvWqKJl.jpg

54KXF0e.jpg

Splashdown!

MQIQKKN.jpg

That is truly amazing!  That's not a rover, that's a Walmart Supercenter on wheels!!!  Getting something that big to the surface of Tylo is epic!

1 hour ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

as it turns out that while big rovers look cool, they're not particularly practical.

Yeah, but sometimes looking cool takes priority over practicality.  

Visual bugs

That made me laugh right out loud!  I get that bug sometimes too.  At first it was annoying, especially when it was messing up my screenshots.  Now I just shrug.  Glad someone else is getting that visual bug too.

The North Pole

Oh boy, I should have put a warning in the challenge rules to be careful at the poles!  It appears you were familiar with the hazards of operating at the poles, and lived to tell the tale!

2 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Jump

I gotta ask, how does a Walmart Supercenter handle jumps?

Almost out of repair kits

For the tiny rovers I use I usually get away with 4-8 repair kits.  I imagine you used repair kits like my kids use ketchup.

The interior of the Odyssey has suffered some pretty serious structural damage by this point.

I think using physics warp accelerates the distortion.  For me, as long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the rover I'm fine with it.  When part placement is critical it becomes a problem.  The rotors/propellers I used on Eve started sagging, in danger of hitting the ground or water.  Just one of those things that happens on an Elcano run.  Elcano runs are truly brutal on rovers.  And shopping centers.

Lost a bunch of wheels going up a mountain, meaning I now only have 23 of the originally 28 wheels.

Just think of the weight you saved!  And you'll use less electricity too!

Powering down the Odyssey for the last time

Nice run!  I propose the Odyssey be designated a national landmark.  That was really impressive!

It looks (to me) like that was a 100% stock entry?  That's how I'm planning on entering it.  Please advise if it should be in a different category.

27 minutes ago, 18Watt said:

That made me laugh right out loud!  I get that bug sometimes too.  At first it was annoying, especially when it was messing up my screenshots.  Now I just shrug.  Glad someone else is getting that visual bug too.

Yeah, that big was pretty amusing at first but it later got annoying. However, I later discovered that you can fix it by just opening the EVA construction menu again,

I gotta ask, how does a Walmart Supercenter handle jumps?

It handles them surprisingly well, actually. As long as I didn’t go face-first into an uphill slope, no wheels broke at all up to 50 m/s. Above that speed, though, and you’re playing risky games. I did crash the Supercenter pretty hard a few times and had to reload the save.  

For the tiny rovers I use I usually get away with 4-8 repair kits.  I imagine you used repair kits like my kids use ketchup.

Yeah, about the repair kits.. hoo boy. I stacked an entire 2.5m container and a half full of them thinking that would be plenty, but it turns out wheels sometimes just do whatever they want and break, Of course, I was responsible for the damage most of the time. Including the extras brought by the resupply probe, I easily used over 100. Probably somewhere in the 120-150 range.

I think using physics warp accelerates the distortion.  For me, as long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the rover I'm fine with it.   Elcano runs are truly brutal on rovers.  And shopping centers.

I didn’t actually use any physics warp at all for the entire mission, as I couldn’t; doing so caused the wheels to gib out and break, so that was a no-go. The distortion didn’t affect the Odyssey’s functionality in any way except for the fact that it eventually sealed the rover garage shut, meaning that I had to get rid of the Mountaineer as it was dead weight. By the end of the trip, the Odyssey had pretty much had it. I made a newer version that I posted on KerbalX which has more struts to avoid this problem. 
https://kerbalx.com/MythicalHeFF/Odyssey-3

Just think of the weight you saved!  And you'll use less electricity too!

It looks (to me) like that was a 100% stock entry?  That's how I'm planning on entering it.  Please advise if it should be in a different category.

I guess I saved weight, but in doing so my already abysmal uphill climbing abilities were severely compromised. Wasn’t fun. 
This entry was 100% stock; I had no mods installed whatsoever for the entire duration of the run. Thanks for the compliments by the way, I’ve been really eager to get this mission finished so I could post it here.

EDIT: By the way, how do I put badges and things on my profile that people can see on my posts? (i.e.the Tylo Circumnavigator badge) I’ve been on the forums for 4 and a half years and never bothered to ask.

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

7 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

By the way, how do I put badges and things on my profile that people can see on my posts? (i.e.the Tylo Circumnavigator badge) I’ve been on the forums for 4 and a half years and never bothered to ask.

Paste a link to the image to your signature in account settings.  It's not in your profile info, which is where I thought it would be.

• Find the badge you're looking for- most challenges have them displayed in the first post.
  • Copy the link to that image.  For me (Mac) I right-click on the image, and look for 'copy link' or something similar.  
  • Click on your user-name in the top right of the forum page, and select 'Account Settings'.
  • In Account Settings, you'll find the 'Signature' menu item, on the left somewhere.
  • With your cursor in the signature box, Paste (Ctrl-V) the link.
  • Profit!

Note that the KSP forum does not actually store images.  Any images displayed are links to sites like Imgur.  The badges for Kerpollo are stored on Imgur, you just need to copy the link to that image and paste it to your signature, not the image itself.  If that makes sense.

Here's one to practice with..

YEOH8Qz.png

28 minutes ago, 18Watt said:

Paste a link to the image to your signature in account settings.  It's not in your profile info, which is where I thought it would be.

• Find the badge you're looking for- most challenges have them displayed in the first post.
  • Copy the link to that image.  For me (Mac) I right-click on the image, and look for 'copy link' or something similar.  
  • Click on your user-name in the top right of the forum page, and select 'Account Settings'.
  • In Account Settings, you'll find the 'Signature' menu item, on the left somewhere.
  • With your cursor in the signature box, Paste (Ctrl-V) the link.
  • Profit!

Got it working, thanks! I see it's basically just like posting a screenshot, which I've done literally hundreds of times now, but in Account Settings. I didn't know where to look before, I thought maybe I could just search my profile but didn't think about the account settings themselves.

• 1 month later...

And here we go with the start of my entry into the Elcano Challenge.  Hitting up Minmus first; I posted my progress through today in the "What Did You Do In KSP Today" thread, which I have linked here.  I'll be adding posts here as I get more progress.

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And here we go with the start of my entry into the Elcano Challenge. 

Nice start, and welcome to Elcano!

I like the lander arrangement, you have a ship to take you home too!

One note- I see you are headed north.  If you are really brave, and try to visit either of the poles, QUICKSAVE a lot.  The poles are worth seeing once, but there is a very high risk of getting destroyed there.  That applies to all CBs- stay away from the poles unless you’re really brave.  Cue ominous music…

1 minute ago, 18Watt said:

Nice start, and welcome to Elcano!

I like the lander arrangement, you have a ship to take you home too!

One note- I see you are headed north.  If you are really brave, and try to visit either of the poles, QUICKSAVE a lot.  The poles are worth seeing once, but there is a very high risk of getting destroyed there.  That applies to all CBs- stay away from the poles unless you’re really brave.  Cue ominous music…

Why must I go to the poles?

science-thomas-dolby.gif

41 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Man is this slow.  Like, painfully slow.

Yup.

Couple of tips for speed:

• First, speed isn’t always a good thing- becomes more likely to explode.
  • The TR-2L Ruggedized wheels are capable of speeds up to almost 60 m/s.  Not that you want to go that fast, especially on Minmus.  The wheels you are using only drive up to about 25 m/s.  That’s probably a safer speed on Minmus..
  • Not sure if you knew this or not, but you can activate Physics Warp while rovering. 

Physics Warp is not the same as normal warp.  As it’s name implies, physics still happens during physics warp.  It can be activated by holding the Modifier key (Option key on Macs, Left Alt key on PCs I think) while pressing the Warp increase button.

Physics warp is either 1X (normal), 2X, 3X, or 4X.  A word of caution, traveling under physics warp greatly increases the odds of your rover exploding.  The higher the warp, the worse things get.

I actually design my rovers specifically to be somewhat resistant to using physics warp.  Even so, I often find that I can only safely use 3X physics warp at max.  And I back off my speed a little too.  
QUICKSAVE before trying physics warp!!!

I am now about half-way through traversing Minmus.  Very slow going.  I cannot use physics warp any longer on Minmus; I have found that the game will randomly turn the wheels sharply, causing me to spin uncontrollably until I land completely upside down, spilling Bob from the rover and then the rover exploding - or, in one odd case, spinning off into space.  This means that I have to literally sit here FOR HOURS watching the rover move.  Sigh.