The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (4th)

2 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

could someone help me please?

You should probably make a thread about it elsewhere. Troubleshooting on linux gets complicated and could easily add another page or 2 to this challenge if it were done here. I'll leave you with some advice though.

if you've run an update and haven't rebooted since, try that. Nvidia drivers can come unloaded after a kernel update and the easiest way to load them again is to reboot.

Run glxinfo from a terminal. Your system may not have it by default, I don't know what package it comes from on ubuntu. You'll want to see your graphics device mentioned by name in it's output, and the correct driver. For nvidia it's nvidia, for AMD and intel it's mesa. If you see llvmpipe that means your system isn't using it's graphics card at all.

Try running ksp through a terminal. You can do it through steam, but the easiest way is to navigate to your ksp folder from the terminal (usually ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program) and then type ./KSP.x86_64 It should spit out a bunch of messages and, if it fails to run, an error message

Also, all installations of KSP are portable. The game has no DRM, you can just copy it into a folder straight from the steam install and run it on a pc without steam or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

Can i eva attach wheels?

Yes.

Keep in mind that the Elcano mission has to be launched and flown from KSC (or any launch site on Kerbin), including all support missions.  Bringing extra wheels would be considered a support mission, which is allowed.  As long as you do not cheat the parts to your rover- you have to actually fly them to your rover from Kerbin.

If you are having traction issues, have you tried adjusting the wheel settings?  In particular, the friction control defaults to automatic.  You can adjust the friction value of the wheels.

@Sp1f, nice job on your Minmus run!  I really enjoyed reading the reports!  I still like your upside-down rover cabin, that's awesome.  I've added your Minmus run to the leaderboards.  Also, I originally had your Mun run listed as 'Stock Craft', but after re-reading your reports it looks like both Mun and Minmus were in a 100% stock game?  I changed your Mun entry to 'Stock', just let me know if that's not accurate..

@Watermel00n, looking forward to seeing your progress!  Your rover certainly looks more that capable of going the distance.  

My Mun entry was technically "Stock Craft".  I am pretty sure the only mod I had installed at the time was Trajectories, so it didn't really affect much, though.

@Watermel00nGood luck! The Mun is my favorite so far. Mun gravity seems like a sweet spot where you can do fun stunts but still feel like you are driving with decent control.

I am making preparations for my next circumnavigation and will post more soon.

Vall circumnavigation complete! This was the first part of a three-part mission in which I plan to do an Elcano for Vall, Bop and Pol using the same rover. 

Launch of the “Micronova” (basically a scaled down version of the absolutely ridiculous Kilonova, but named “Micronova” because just naming it “Nova” seemed cliché). It will use only chemical rocket engines.

tWMI3eu.jpg

tXnnnnS.jpg

The mission was sent to Jool as part of a fleet of ships, most of which were bound for Laythe.

Vall arrival and landing 

UZlwwRY.jpg

kDxZy1u.jpg

BoLIJ5h.jpg

Bivouac and Fortitude Lite rover landed at ~1°S, 83°E

zrjpr6e.jpg

Undocking the rover (the docking port is mounted on a retractable piston that allows it to be re-attached for ascent and transport to another world)

titltgS.jpg

Flag planting and science setup

X8vjIK2.jpg

kTVuRHD.jpg

I actually thought of a way to work around the problem of Kerbals only carrying one flag by default: it turns out that you can get as many flags as you want by just planting the flag your Kerbal is currently carrying and going back into the lander, which replenishes the flag. By doing this over and over again, I was able to get a total of 12 flags for the mission before I got bored. I then had Jack Kerman go and pick up all of the flags to use later on.

k6fYslS.jpg

From there, it was off to the South Pole. (I did another polar circumnavigation for this mission, and I’ll probably be doing one for Bop too. Although dangerous, the poles in KSP are simply intriguing to me, and as you’ll see, Vall did not disappoint in this regard.)

Some Screenshots:

Spoiler

XhEOtou.jpg

xGOcfts.jpg

j7IlGP2.jpg

Seismic scanner got set off when one of the front headlights exploded (not that it was really needed anyways, the kerbals’ EVA suits provide plenty of light).

2me5Xat.jpg

Cryovolcano Alley:

q77CNtX.jpg

j2h7Xfb.jpg

hY6JMPL.jpg

Wyoming

kEz2vwU.jpg

Climbing a mountain range:

IBfMQ02.jpg

lCPb0xh.jpg

Joolrise!

nQGDszY.jpg

Nearing the South Pole (see other spoiler for screenshots of the pole itself)

c6dQBGt.jpg

RmyOpj3.jpg

D’oh

xSNC9CH.jpg

IDalKPP.jpgFloating Kerbal

rRk4LUT.jpg

urhKJ0I.jpg

ni3YIPW.jpg

Cool view 

z1Z8ZjB.jpg

qX329nm.jpg

r5A96HH.jpg

I feel like Vall has some pretty underrated scenery.

EmzBxyi.jpg

Somehow the grip pads got moved forward when I flipped the rover. Once Bill Kerman sat back down in his seat, they teleported back into position.

Eb0g6Dd.jpg

Wy1arvA.jpg

Almost there

O8JQ6Si.jpg

0qPirOK.jpg

BIR3zmY.jpg

The Finish Line

bOcT1ie.jpg

O4bcF7I.jpg

ktDr6G4.jpg

Reattaching the rover

titltgS.jpg

Liftoff!

ftMT6Gj.jpg

MMFrCw0.jpg

Docking

tNYtJyP.jpg

PK5FTON.jpg

Vallhenge:

Spoiler

The reason I landed at precisely 83°E longitude is that that is the longitude of the Vallhenge Easter egg, which I had only visited once before this mission (also with a rover).

lw5vlog.jpg

5HXyY2H.jpg

Mja0EQL.jpg
I could have sworn that some of these pillars were floating off the surface last time I was here. I guess they’ve since been lowered so that they’d all be in the ground.

Jack Kerman climbing up the pillars:

BF1tDzQ.jpg

GEIif9f.jpg

5RymgO3.jpg

Leaving Vallhenge:

lwgqIDt.jpg

The Poles:

Spoiler

When I said the poles did not disappoint, I was not kidding. Vall’s poles are probably the most extreme I’ve seen so far other than the infamous Mohole. The South Pole was located at the top of a gigantic cliff face, which made getting to it difficult, and leaving it took several attempts of driving off the cliff and trying to land successfully without blowing up.
kB5IGEU.jpg

And once I actually got there, I still had to tightrope my way to the exact pole to plant the flag.

xGVRGwu.jpg

Which was because jetpacking resulted in this:

mpCjlSu.jpg

After carefully tightroping his way to the pole, Jack Kerman planted the flag and jetpacked back to the rover.

WVqtpDq.jpg

Which I then messed around with for a bit before I drove it back down.

YzodDCU.jpg

Broke a wheel for the first and only time, all repair kit uses apart from this were to fix the scanning arm that kept breaking.

GEpoUoZ.jpg

The North Pole was also located on a mountain, although the cliff face was less steep.

2z57hzP.jpg

Actually getting to this pole was a little bit easier, however, as I could actually jetpack there without falling off. At one point I tried to drive the rover up there, but this failed as its brakes could not hold it in place on the near-vertical terrain.

rp0Xk8Q.jpg

9BYotbp.jpg

(Jack looks over at Tylo and remembers the north pole there)

Getting down from the north pole took way longer than it should have, and even ended up corrupting my save file after I closed my laptop after a failed attempt at getting down. Luckily, I was able to fix the issue by deleting the quicksave that had been corrupted and exporting another save to a new game.

Ring of flags:

s3R79b5.jpg
It’s off to Bop for me next!

vXZbfRJ.jpg

wKocTrk.jpg

Bop circumnavigation complete! This was by far the quickest I've ever been able to complete an Elcano challenge, with me doing the entire circumnavigation in the span of just a few hours. This was the second part of a three-part mission in which I will circumnavigate Vall (just finished), Bop, and Pol. 

Getting to Bop was easy, as I just had to perform a transfer with my mothership, the Micronova, to get it from Vall to Bop, although Bop's high orbital inclination meant that the insertion burn delta-V was greater than I would have liked, especially considering that I'm running low on fuel.

vXZbfRJ.jpg

Once at Bop, it was a pretty straightforward undocking and landing sequence, as is typical on any low-G world.

c4Sziuf.jpg

Psoaev6.jpg

2MUILlI.jpg

Once landed, however, I decided to make some modifications to the Bivouac, seeing as I was running low on delta-V and there were many parts that were not entirely necessary. I would later do the same thing to the Micronova. I embraced my inner Mark Watney and removed a bunch of fuel tanks, struts and science equipment from the lander in order to lighten the load a little.

kwDpTHQ.jpg

N816bhD.jpg

Once the flag was planted and all of the mass reduction stuff was sorted out, it was time to begin the circumnavigation. Driving a rover on Bop was certainly off the beaten path for what I was used to driving rovers on, and as such I was not prepared for the nearly constant air time that I would be getting throughout this Elcano run. In fact, I went airborne almost immediately after leaving the landing site thanks to the low gravity. The low gravity also meant that it was easy to flip over, but the reaction wheels meant that this wasn't really a huge problem, and for most of the drive I could easily do 30-40 m/s safely.

7bnMc7r.jpg

More Screenshots:

Spoiler

Jack Kerman tumbling down the hillside after being ejected from his command seat from the first of many roll-overs.

2wQ7nRi.jpg

Jool and the three large moons looming far away

RwnRSox.jpg

Gravel pile

d17rMk8.jpg

Got flung 550 meters into space during a joyride

9ClB9uV.jpg

H5IQR62.jpg

Peaks (which reminded me of the first time I ever landed on Bop and had to send a rescue mission to solar orbit)

ZyQBgkr.jpg

Got flung almost 1 km off the surface during an uncontrolled high-speed jump. I hit the ground at over 80 m/s, and, needless to say, that didn't end well when the RTGs exploded.

ClJebfm.jpg

Ribrim getting flung 1.4 km away from the rover after being ejected from his seat

eWVwn5y.jpg

?!?

w67PQ5L.jpg

6Ie6uUN.jpg

A rift in the terrain which I later called the "Great Wall of Bop" due to it obstructing my path and me having to drive several kilometers downwind in order to find a suitable place to corss

ZDIj9bf.jpg

Wk3nWN2.jpg

Jumping the Great Wall of Bop

18LXRtn.jpg

??!?!?!!?

Yeah, being ejected from command seats and being smeared against the ground can do some pretty weird things to a Kerbal, apparently.

uoT5JLT.jpg

The glitch even persisted when I got Ribrim back into the rover, which made me laugh pretty good.

tnXqCeA.jpg

Almost there

PHww70U.jpg

Finished!

NZViWdT.jpg

Reloaded rover

kDAQWMc.jpg

Liftoff!

LNMY4eM.jpg

Docking

lWel5jQ.jpg

UI2flyg.jpg

Kraken!:

Spoiler

As you may have guessed, I decided to visit the Kraken easter egg during my Bop Elcano. I specifically chose a landing site that would bring me near to it over a polar trajectory, and planned to intersect it by the time I got to 60 degrees south. However, upon checking the wiki for its location, I then realized that it was instead at 60 degrees north latitude. By the time I realized this, I had already passed its location, and as such I decided to have Ribrim Kerman use his EVA pack to fly over there and investigate.

74ryv3e.jpg

During the descent to the location, I spotted a strange flickering dot among the otherwise dark terrain, which I thought must be the Kraken.

vC96IgX.jpg

My suspicions were later confirmed when Mission Control reported an interesting discovery of "the corpse of an unknown lifeform" on Bop.

EHlBDRc.jpg

Ribrim then landed next to the fallen beast, and proceeded to plant a flag in its proximity. Maybe one day I'll build a base here for fun.

KRIAr8T.jpg

BPcaaMK.jpg

tRmbs2x.jpg

Once this was complete, Ribrim flew back to the Fortitude Lite using the remainder of his EVA fuel.

F45AMQF.jpg

The Poles:

Spoiler

The poles on Bop were a little bit lackluster compared to the crazy nature of those on Tylo and Vall, but the South Pole still ended up being a little fun to explore.

The North Pole was pretty much just a small ripple in the terrain and was almost entirely normal. Pretty surprised by this, to be honest.

s10y58W.jpg

QqKtHTw.jpg

The South Pole, however, ended up being a little more fun to explore. It had the same sort of terrain glitches as those on Vall and Tylo, which allowed one to get under the terrain and explode.

rWVtiCQ.jpg

Unlike the poles of Vall and Tylo, however, I was able to drive the rover right up to the pole without falling off a cliff.

vtoQ0Oz.jpg

Which felt kind of eerie...

z5uKiJx.jpg

At one point, I tried to plant a flag on the exact pole, but it was somehow teleported over 500 meters away (ignore the mistake where it says "North Pole" when it should be "South Pole".

SEsEwP4.jpg

So that warranted a replanting, especially after the flag got deleted by me quickloading after Ribrim fell into the void.

GfpkJ6W.jpg

3CQCGOP.jpg

l3RhFgr.jpg

Flags around Bop (or most of it, I didn't screenshot the full ring after I finished)

I kind of like how in this screenshot it looks like I planted a flag on Jool.

NuHv4JP.jpg

So that's it for Bop. Definitely the quickest circumnavigation I've ever done, but that was to be expected, seeing as it is so much smaller than any other body I'd done an Elcano on up to this point. 

I guess it's off to Pol now!

99lNHEL.jpg

c77mHlM.jpg

IRstbL7.jpg

Just need @18Watt to verify please!

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

Pol circumnavigation complete! This was the final Elcano of the three-part Micronova mission to Jool, in which I circumnavigated Vall, Bop, and Pol using the same rover, the Fortitude Lite. As with my Bop circumnavigation, I was able to complete the Pol Elcano in only a couple of hours, thanks to Pol's small circumference. Before I left Bop for Pol, however, I had to make some modifications to the Micronova using the EVA construction menu, as I needed to remove parts to make it light enough to be able to come home. So Ribrim Kerman got to work removing everything that wasn't absolutely necessary, such as excess lights, struts, empty fuel tanks, antennas, and even one of the three parachutes on the command pod, as two would be plenty to slow us down safely. Bill originally protested this move, but it was deemed safe by Mission Control.

ipo6YnY.jpg

Once that was done, it was off to Pol!

c77mHlM.jpg

8nz6Yud.jpg

Upon arriving at Pol, I detached the Bivouac from the Micronova and began my descent.

YUM1x5X.jpg

Landing was easy, as it is on any body with as low a gravity as Pol.

7uJLVbU.jpg

Once landed, I detached the Fortitude Lite rover, planted the flag, and began the journey!

Rco6QT8.jpg

TP2NmBS.jpg

The trip itself was pretty short, so I didn't bother to take too many screenshots. I'll include them in a spoiler anyways, though, just to save some space.

Spoiler

Jumping over a rock spire

L2GNoVI.jpg

MrAhND1.jpg

Ribrim and Bill apparently thought that the rocks on Pol were made of gold. Upon closer inspection, however, it was revealed that they were made of space cheese aged over millions of years.

p58zhIs.jpg

rpQVPBy.jpg

Jool way off in the distance. Even this green behemoth of a planet looks pretty small in the sky from the nearly 200,000 kilometers distant Pol. Its other moons were merely specks upon the backdrop of the galaxy. 

GK5cr1d.jpg

bxkulW6.jpg

Spring Valley (I'm having allergies as I write this)

CNEZ1bt.jpg

Broke a wheel and one of the RTGs after a pretty hard fall from several hundred meters up. We'll be alright as long as we don't lose the other one. That'd spell big trouble, seeing as I've lost all of the batteries apart from the one in the probe core.

q0r1KJz.jpg

Towards the end of the trip, I went through an extremely rugged mountain range, one which I called the "Tartarus Mountains" for the frustration it inflicted upon me passing through them. I would constantly lose all of my speed to a bad landing, and building up speed is not easy somewhere with gravity as low as Pol. Here's the Fortitude Lite doing a Jump through the mountains.

hT58lh3.jpg

gdhKbPg.jpg

Almost there (the rover's steering has now stopped working for some reason, meaning that I'm turning entirely on reaction wheels)

RvJmDdG.jpg

Totally didn't fly straight over the lander..

QXFG6bb.jpg

Had to drive backwards a bit to make my way back, as the steering was busted.

CKUaJEt.jpg

n6wHXyC.jpg

EKwMrGB.jpg

It's now time to leave the Fortitude Lite to rest on the surface of Pol, as it would be dead weight back in orbit. It's served us nicely, but its purpose has been fulfilled now. Also, its steering is busted and it's been damaged anyways, so there's that.

teZtcX2.jpg

Liftoff!

tSRVtoH.jpg

Docking

IH4DxpO.jpg

Now that the mission had been completed, it was time to move all of the science samples from the Bivouac to the Micronova. The lander would be left in Pol orbit for any potential future mission that may want to land there. After the science had been transferred, it was time to plot a course back to Kerbin, one which would utilize a Tylo gravity assist to reduce the fuel requirements.

CUhvqYL.jpg

qChXTcM.jpg

Tylo flyby. All three crewmembers of this mission (Jack, Bill, and Ribrim) were veterans of the Odyssey Tylo Elcano mission, which was my first Elcano Challenge. A bit sentimental, I guess. I can still recognize some of the surface features on Tylo that I visited during that mission, such as Blackhead Plateau and Mare Nadir.

mw9TYxh.jpg

The Micronova will return to Kerbin in about two years' time. I'll probably do a Minmus Elcano next, as I feel that I should have gotten to it a while ago now.

Just need @18Watt to verify

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 3:19 AM, 18Watt said:

That also means you can't intentionally remove wheels or pontoons when they are no longer needed.  The vehicle needs to complete the entire circumnavigation as-is.  If parts blow up or get knocked off, well, that's the Kerbal way, and that's

Does that mean that if i leave 2 landing struts detached by eva construction, im disqualified?

I got into an accident where the middle section of the car was broken and i had to eva repair it but the landing struts were in the way and i couldnt attach it, so i threw them off.

I think from the previous Elcano threads it's very much about respecting the spirit of the rules and whether you intended when you set out to leave parts behind. Sail across Kerbin on something with a wheeled vehicle docked on its deck, undock at the edge of the ocean and drive away - not OK. Take off two struts because they're in the way of repairs - absolutely OK.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:52 AM, Watermel00n said:

Does that mean that if i leave 2 landing struts detached by eva construction, im disqualified?

On 4/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, damerell said:

Take off two struts because they're in the way of repairs - absolutely OK.

What @damerell said.  EVA repairs are absolutely OK.  Intentionally reconfiguring your rover during the circumnavigation is not really allowed.  However, stuff breaks, and EVA construction can be finicky.  I don't see a problem with what you described.

Sorry about the late update folks.  Been busy at work, and had limited access to the internet the past few weeks.

I've added THREE entries from @Jack Joseph Kerman to the leaderboards, for Vall, Pol, and Bop.  You're on your way to completing them all!  

On 3/28/2022 at 2:36 AM, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I actually thought of a way to work around the problem of Kerbals only carrying one flag by default: it turns out that you can get as many flags as you want by just planting the flag your Kerbal is currently carrying and going back into the lander, which replenishes the flag. By doing this over and over again, I was able to get a total of 12 flags for the mission before I got bored.

Pure genius!

Also, @DunaManiac completed a run around Minmus, with a very capable-looking rover.  Nice work!

Kerbin circumnavigation complete! This circumnavigation was done by sea in a vessel that I’ve named the K.E.L.P (Kerbin ELcano Propeller boat), as it is powered by propellers. 

f3ofpJP.jpg

In addition, I also made a custom flag just for this mission:

OLQYOct.png

Image album

Spoiler

KELP on the runway ready to go. The rotors were a bit finicky to set up, as I wanted to be able to at least use 2x time warp during the mission. As such, I had to limit their RPM to 235, as anything above this would cause the fan blades to glitch out and explode.

t9ajldc.jpg

Planting the starting marker flag

Af5LNaI.jpg

Getting our feet wet

PLF9c7q.jpg

Operating on water with a top speed of 51-52 m/s

svwzgLV.jpg

loGWvfZ.jpg

Sunset

yOOMsTw.jpg

First land crossing over the peninsula east of the KSC

65bl6tJ.jpg

Tree

j2DqYAl.jpg

Heading back out to sea

jauBpU6.jpg

dFpv7s2.jpg

Jeb watching the sunset on the high seas

98KJDc4.jpg

Nearing the main land crossing up north (the area with the two lakes)

HNi22dk.jpg

Underwater tree??

FBCV2Qx.jpg

JJcL14T.jpg

TPgQQpC.jpg

I have now seen everything.

o1nQVgu.jpg

Starting the long land crossing. Only exploded the front nose cones and had to reload the game about 6 times. I really should have moved the front landing gear farther forward or used shorter nose cones. 

Bs8nCF8.jpg

hhaAqQb.jpg

In the lake

W38FBSg.jpg

Wu3lGN9.jpg

Pr4xk0B.jpg

Back out to sea again

PqXkY08.jpg

Later on, I saw that I was headed towards a small island. Normally, I would have steered away to go around it, but this island had very smooth terrain, and as such I decided to just drive over it.

aY9wvO8.jpg

IVA view

ykpcXfQ.jpg

A few beauty shots of the Mun on the horizon 

HUf68jZ.jpg

My8PWeR.jpg

Going pretty far south in the ocean west of the KSC in order to utilize geodesics and cut down the distance I would have to travel versus just staying near the equator.

XBtIYNX.jpg

Another Mun shot. Since sea circumnavigations are pretty boring in comparison to land-based ones and require less maintenance, I often found myself just zooming in on stuff with Bill Kerman in the upper MK1 cockpit IVA view. 

yUIlntV.jpg

100 km to go

cbhZiKk.jpg

o2vpLvZ.jpg

I see the KSC!

NSE9g4m.jpg

Leaving the ocean for the final time

YUaVDMO.jpg

Celebratory finish-line flag planting

d2HTQcG.jpg

n1IjLKj.jpg

Now that its mission had been completed, I decided to park the KELP in front of the Astronaut Complex instead of just recovering it. Might make for a good target if I ever feel like destroying it for whatever reason.

NzShZfG.jpg

n1IjLKj.jpg

Map of the approximate route I took:

XxlZdju.jpg

8 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Kerbin circumnavigation complete!

Wow!  You've been busy!  Nice job!

8 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

The rotors were a bit finicky to set up, as I wanted to be able to at least use 2x time warp

That's one challenge with propellers I haven't overcome.  I've used props successfully on Kerbin, Laythe, and Eve.  In all cases, I found it difficult or impossible to go beyond 2X.  Even at 2X strange problems arose.  I found them most useful on Eve, where they work extremely well.

Great boat!  Propellers are challenging, especially on a boat where you need to mount them above the COM to keep the blades out of the water.  

Hi! I'm new to the forums but here is my first entry:

Long story short i drove a six-wheeled rover around the mun. I documented the adventure in my mission report 
around the mun in hopefully less than 80 days

but for fast reference here is the rover and rute
bIhoBzg.png

Ks2Pbqu.png

Ooh Forgot to mention This is a stock craft in a modded game

Click thru blocker
Module Manager
Toolbar Controller
Kerbal Engineer
Zero Mini AVC
Better Timewarp
Camera tools
EVE
KAC
Kerbal Engineer With KER for all
and Scatterer

5 hours ago, CapPenguin said:

Hi! I'm new to the forums but here is my first entry:

Leaderboards updated, and welcome to the forums!  I enjoyed reading your mission reports, nice run!

My rovers are too big...

I'm constatly redoing them.

Takes a while since I can't really play KSP because of driver issue etc.

I have an idea to play the game: play on another computer, just so I can do stuff.

15 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I'll do something small.

Smaller is usually better in this challenge, as the less wheels you have, the more you can use time warp without having to worry about kraken attacks. (I.e. the run takes a lot less time). Having less mass also makes it easier to climb up steep slopes.

I’ve done seven Elcano runs so far, and, usually, the smaller my rover was, the less time it took.

In chronological order:

Tylo: Odyssey 2, 70 tons. Took easily over 50 hours.

Duna: Fortitude, 7 tons. About 10 hours to complete.

Mun: Fortitude, about 7 hours 

Vall: Fortitude Lite, 2 tons. 8 hours

Bop/Pol: Fortitude Lite, about 2 hours each.

Kerbin: KELP(sea), 12 hours.