Repair kits and how to use them?

On 11/7/2023 at 7:50 AM, mikerl said:

It activates construction mode which is denoted by nearby inventories shown in a panel on the left.  To drop something just pick up an item and then click on the ground.  Do not use drag and drop as the click-drag method is for KAS and not the Stock method.

I've done that. I single click on the item from stock inventory, the mouse cursor "picks it up", and then clicking on the ground does nothing. Near, far, doesn't matter, nothing. The only place where clicking does anything is in the original inventory slot, which puts it back.

Also, even when I prepare by freeing up an inventory slot in the VAB, I still can't find any option to pick up the kit to use it. Clicking and right clicking and double-clicking all do nothing, even when I'm practically on top of the kit.

Activating construction mode also allows the transfer of items between inventories and can only activated when the Kerbal is on EVA and the focus is on the kerbal.

@TokamakSecond, the option to repair only shows up on the PAW of the broken part, not on the repair kit itself.  This part is probably the most confusing part of it all.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:39 AM, mikerl said:

Activating construction mode also allows the transfer of items between inventories and can only activated when the Kerbal is on EVA and the focus is on the kerbal.

@TokamakSecond, the option to repair only shows up on the PAW of the broken part, not on the repair kit itself.  This part is probably the most confusing part of it all.

I managed to get "I" to work to enter construction mode. It was doing nothing, but I went into the settings and re-did the key mapping (even though it was already set to "I") and now it seems to work. Thank you for the help. I didn't even know construction mode was a thing before this thread, because it was added after I stopped playing.  >.< Apparently they added a lot of new things!

I assume it's supposed to only be engineers that can use construction mode?

I'll have to see if I can find a document/tutorial on stock inventory and construction. I've only used KAS. It's a little confusing having functionality replicated like that, but that's what happens when you use mods.

I appreciate the help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.