Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

also the G11 was too complex probably as it needed the 3 round burst before recoil function.

Which wasn't an unreasonable requirement. At the time everyone was exploring how to increase effectiveness of short bursts, and the Soviets ended up with AN-94 precisely by the same logic. It's just that by then they'd largely stopped chasing new cartridges (for assault rifles, specifically - the contemporary attempts at replacing the 7.62x54R were wild, like the 10x54R discarding sabot flechettes, but they never involved a new gun).

Shuttle (and Apollo?)* astronauts were all trained to drive their emergency escape M113, to their absolute delight

* I believe the Shuttle crew just left no space for a driver, but this wouldn't be an issue for Apollo

Edited by DDE

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Shuttle (and Apollo?)* astronauts were all trained to drive their emergency escape M113, to their absolute delight

* I believe the Shuttle crew just left no space for a driver, but this wouldn't be an issue for Apollo

It could be an safety issue, why put an extra driver at risk then the astronauts could drive. Its not like they needed to be expert drivers, just to handle it and driving using the vision slits. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Shows empty values and a world map with the orbit line for me.

(JavaScript is on)

Were it working, you'd see the active values flashing yellow as they change. Urine level now 22%.

My browser is Waterfox G6.0.2, a Firefox fork. Yours?

Edited by AckSed

1 minute ago, AckSed said:

Then I have nothing. Maybe newer version changed something?

Maybe Win 7 is too old. Google Chrome also has empty values, and there is no NoScript on it at all.

The fastest morbid amputation had a 300% mortality rate. 2 people got sepsis, and one guy fainted and hit his head.

17 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Some of the fun facts are scientific. 

Yes, but this probably fits with the lounge more as not all are. But it's up to you and the other mods.

Speaking of science, here it is: The Recurrence Inversion of the rotating objects at the Space Stations is the Gyroscopic Effect

The analytical approaches of the new gyroscope theory enabled the description of the physics of the phenomenon of the rotating object in the weightless conditions of space flights. On the rotating object, at the free flight, are acting the inertial forces generated by its circular motions around the earth and its rotating mass.

Fun Fact: due to the Trade Winds in the South Pacific, 'sea level' is 1.5 feet higher in Indonesia than near Peru. 

https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/tropical_stuff/enso/enso2.htm

This also is an explanation for the late colonization of New Zealand, Samoa, Hawaii, etc. etc.  The combination of the currents and prevailing winds made it extremely difficult for anyone to go East of Indonesia.  (Early Chinese maps had the equivalent of 'here there be monsters' for anything past the Indonesian archipelago.)  

ALSO... 

earthhasless.jpg?f=webp

According to Phys.org, that is the comparison of all of the water on Earth and the planet itself (and they mean ALL - including vapor and the water in our bodies). 

https://phys.org/news/2012-05-earth.html

17 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

This also is an explanation for the late colonization of New Zealand, Samoa, Hawaii, etc. etc.  The combination of the currents and prevailing winds made it extremely difficult for anyone to go East of Indonesia.  (Early Chinese maps had the equivalent of 'here there be monsters' for anything past the Indonesian archipelago.)

Okay, I was wondering about that. Before the politics of that era (1400s) made my alternate history where China reaches the Americas first implausible, I had no idea if there was even a reason for them to go there in the first place. I was thinking maybe they thought they could reach Europe by sailing that way, kinda like a reverse of how Columbus tried to sail west to reach India... but with China going east to reach Europe, which they would have known about.

But I didn't even realize it was simply beyond the capability of non-European ships of the day to go too far east.

Just now, SunlitZelkova said:

Okay, I was wondering about that. Before the politics of that era (1400s) made my alternate history where China reaches the Americas first implausible, I had no idea if there was even a reason for them to go there in the first place. I was thinking maybe they thought they could reach Europe by sailing that way, kinda like a reverse of how Columbus tried to sail west to reach India... but with China going east to reach Europe, which they would have known about.

But I didn't even realize it was simply beyond the capability of non-European ships of the day to go too far east.

I think reaching the Americas by sea from China could have been done easiest by taking a more northerly route and coming down the coasts of current day Alaska and Canada using currents and seasonal winds, but without modern knowledge of those various local seasonal weather and current patterns and real time meteorology it would have tested those big junk rigs and their Captainsthoroughly and rigorously. 

On the other hand, Polynesians accomplished a heck of a lot along these lines by combining novel sailing craft and techniques, knowledge of local current, wind, and natural cues as each generational wave gradually learned the new area explored and being pumped by an incredibly exploratory impulse

Polynesian vessels with outriggers are inherently faster than European ships with ballast.  They discovered Hawaii and Easter Island some time before 1200 AD.  If they made it to the mainland, they did not leave evidence like introduced species.