Science News Thread (for articles that don't relate to ongoing discussions)

On 1/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I read that - but aside from 'dramatic claims require dramatic proof' - the guy at the end of the article saying,  "we don't know exactly what we are seeing - but we do agree that we are seeing something - and maybe in 10 years we will know what"... That guy is who I'm hearing. 

Agree earth's core is huge as in the size of the moon,  Now the moon is slowing down and moving away from earth at 3.8 cm/ year. That creates the tides and also slow down earth rotation. Have fun measuring that inside the earth. Granted volcanism and plate tetonic is an stronger force than tides 

The balloon over Montana, is from China, said by Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson

Over lunch I saw that the balloon thing was the top one trending on Twitter. After the Foreign Ministry 'claimed' it, it's now the top one trending on weibo...

But to be honest, it was also the first time today that I knew that something hanging from a balloon could be designed to look like a satellite. Everyday learn something new

7 hours ago, farmerben said:

What are the current retirement plans for the ISS?

Russian segment is only funded until 2024, ESA and NASA have received an okay to continue until 2030, nothing has been done on JAXA’s part but presumably they will continue until 2030 too. Nauka is supposed to become part of the ROSS (Russian ISS replacement). For NASA, probably ESA, and presumably JAXA, commercial space stations will replace it.

The original idea was to use a modified Progress spacecraft to push it out of orbit. It’s unclear what is going to happen with that though.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:03 PM, steve9728 said:

The balloon over Montana, is from China, said by Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson

Over lunch I saw that the balloon thing was the top one trending on Twitter. After the Foreign Ministry 'claimed' it, it's now the top one trending on weibo...

But to be honest, it was also the first time today that I knew that something hanging from a balloon could be designed to look like a satellite. Everyday learn something new

I think that is not uncommon, you want solar panels for power and it need to be light weight. The common and smaller weather balloons does not but they are designed for pretty short term use. Bu this is more common for huge science balloons. 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:58 AM, steve9728 said:

obsidian-handaxe-makin.jpg

Obsidian hand axes workshop from 1.2 million years ago

https://cosmosmagazine.com/history/obsidian-handaxe-workshop/

I say its a bit hard to see that they has been created unlike later stone tools. 
But 600, are these defects who are discarded? 

39 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I say its a bit hard to see that they has been created unlike later stone tools. 

But 600, are these defects who are discarded? 

They are known as Acheulean Handaxes and have been found in many places, often in large collections. As far as I understand, in many cases they show no sign of wear or actual use. The numbers they find are often such that it goes way beyond "having a few spares in case this one breaks". This has made some evolutionary scientists suggest that the initial fabrication/collection of them may have been a form of what is called "costly signalling". This is something that can be seen in many creatures, typical examples are the exaggerated plumage of peacocks and the crazy jumps gazelles make when fleeing from a predator. They are a way of signalling "look at me, I'm so strong and healthy, I can afford all of this, you better mate with me / try to catch someone else".

The suggestion is that initially, these collections may have been just a way for humans to signal those same things. Like "Hey babe, wanna see my hand axe collection? I've got tons of them!" Some might have seen use, but having an exaggerated collection of them was just a way to show you could afford more than the one with the smaller or less shiny pile.

Jupiter takes back the crown. I never doubted it of course, the bringer of jollity has always been my favourite! https://phys.org/news/2023-02-jupiter-moon-solar.html

Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.

That's more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons

2 hours ago, farmerben said:

Stone tools were probably items of specialized labor and long distance trade.  This would help to explain sites with extraordinary production.

So they are unsold inventory? I'll give you 20 hand axes for a mammoth carcass? 100 for your hot daughter? A bunch ready for the whole tribe to use when they drag home a mammoth? Obsidian is pretty sharp, maybe they used them to shave (j/k)?

2 hours ago, Beamer said:

They are known as Acheulean Handaxes and have been found in many places, often in large collections. As far as I understand, in many cases they show no sign of wear or actual use. The numbers they find are often such that it goes way beyond "having a few spares in case this one breaks". This has made some evolutionary scientists suggest that the initial fabrication/collection of them may have been a form of what is called "costly signalling". This is something that can be seen in many creatures, typical examples are the exaggerated plumage of peacocks and the crazy jumps gazelles make when fleeing from a predator. They are a way of signalling "look at me, I'm so strong and healthy, I can afford all of this, you better mate with me / try to catch someone else".

The suggestion is that initially, these collections may have been just a way for humans to signal those same things. Like "Hey babe, wanna see my hand axe collection? I've got tons of them!" Some might have seen use, but having an exaggerated collection of them was just a way to show you could afford more than the one with the smaller or less shiny pile.

Read about that theory before and it makes some sense and don't see other good reasons and people still show off wealth or an illusion of it. 
Now flint workshops are pretty common finds but then just flakes removed and broken stuff. Many times the only thing found at site as stones break down slowly. 
But its mind boggling how long hand axes was in use, yes later versions looks better but the idea of putting the ax head on an shaft was late. 

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

But its mind boggling how long hand axes was in use, yes later versions looks better but the idea of putting the ax head on an shaft was late. 

Innovation is exponential. The first million years is a horizontal line at 1. The last 100 years is almost vertical.

17 hours ago, farmerben said:

What are the current retirement plans for the ISS?

Details:
https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Затопление_МКС?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

8 hours ago, Beamer said:

Jupiter takes back the crown. I never doubted it of course, the bringer of jollity has always been my favourite! https://phys.org/news/2023-02-jupiter-moon-solar.html

Astronomers have discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter, putting the total count at a record-breaking 92.

That's more than any other planet in our solar system. Saturn, the one-time leader, comes in a close second with 83 confirmed moons

Do we realise that the rings of Saturn are just 100..200 mln years old, and both Jupiterand Saturn probably were ringed and unringed from time to time in the past?

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So they are unsold inventory? I'll give you 20 hand axes for a mammoth carcass?

20 pieces give you a 10% discount and a floor lamp made of bear skull as a gift.

P.S.
Just on the axes and so on (certainly, of more then-future times).
https://www.youtube.com/@primitivetechnology9550/videos

https://anyflip.com/drysv/eycm/basic

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Do we realise that the rings of Saturn are just 100..200 mln years old, and both Jupiterand Saturn probably were ringed and unringed from time to time in the past?

Jupiter is still ringed in fact, they were visible in the Webb image:

2f49e13300958bf3c904-244cc099d7e5cf57.jp

On 1/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, kerbiloid said:

Good news, it's up and running again. The cause was bit-flip from a high energy particle. They fixed it by turning it off and on again. Classic tech support solution.

57 minutes ago, Beamer said:

Good news, it's up and running again. The cause was bit-flip from a high energy particle. They fixed it by turning it off and on again. Classic tech support solution.

Spoiler

So,  at the special closed NASA meeting it was explained to the JWSTelescope, that his intentions to look more informed in cosmology than the whole scientific community is, and to disprove the basement of the modern picture of the Universe, are selfish, futile, and can significantly decrease the estimated lifespan of the JWST equipment.

JWST has promised that he will take into account the community interests, stop showing off with its extravagant results, and adjust the picture of the early Universe to make it matching the theoretical predictions.

Not sure whether this belonged here or in the Fun Fact thread, as it's not very closely related to science per se, but I ultimately decided that the subject matter was so decidedly un-fun that the other thread would be inappropriate. Still interesting, though:

The seismic waves of today's Turkey/Syria earthquake, passing through Japan:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1622436401299226626

Edited by Codraroll

47 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

Not sure whether this belonged here or in the Fun Fact thread, as it's not very closely related to science per se, but I ultimately decided that the subject matter was so decidedly un-fun that the other thread would be inappropriate. Still interesting, though:

The seismic waves of today's Turkey/Syria earthquake, passing through Japan:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1622436401299226626

Crazy that you could see the waves! 

This is not _quite_ a moderator request, but a personal request from somebody who is a moderator.   

I do like this thread cause it induces people to post articles that they might not otherwise post.    But I also don’t want to see discussion muted on a topic because it’s in this thread.  A lot of people skip these threads cause they’re multi topic and somewhat confusing at times.   

So, using your best judgement, if you think your post might generate some meaningful discussion,  however small (like 3 or more replies or abouts), feel free to post it in its own thread.   Or if a topic has garnered some good discussion in this thread, feel free to report the original post and we’ll peel it off.  And of course, if we already have a thread on a topic, it is much better to post it there than here.  And if you do post a new thread, and it doesn’t get the replies, don’t worry, no big deal.   

These aren’t rules or anything like that, just a small request to see more topics in the S&S sub that have some good discussion.  

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

report the original post and we’ll peel it off

While I don't want to get to a situation where we are creating more work for you all... This might be the most elegant solution. 

It's almost impossible to guess which articles might grab our fellow forumites' attention and imagination.  I've dropped stuff in here I thought was cool - only to see it garner zero response and seen things that just seem of passing interest get a page of discussion.  But for the most part three to six responses seems like the most an article gets. 

So maybe we can just do as you suggest and if we discover a topic that merits it's own thread we can break it out?