Planet Creation

Ok, so, I'm asking for a bit of help here.  But not a whole lot of help, just a finger pointed in the right direction.

When KSP2 comes out, the Interstellar portion of our regularly schedule program will be slightly delayed while the mods make sure the code is ready for prime-time audiences.  Until that happens, I want to spend some time working with KSP to work on crafting a few planets that I think really should be part of the game for when interstellar becomes a thing.  Including them in KSP will be fun for me, and will at least get me jump-started (even if only a little bit) on how to at least look at the code here and work on modding for KSP2.  But I digress here a bit.

The question:  What's the best way to go about crafting planets in KSP?  Is there a tutorial on how to deal with textures and applying them to planets?  Is there a particular planet pack I could look at to see how it's done the right way?

Again, I want to spend time doing this now so I'm not behind the Kerb-ball when KSP2 drops, so any help here would be keen!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.