What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Launched a giant Duna mission in one go; 

Launch stage was 7x Mammoths & 12 of the big SRBs. 

All graphics at max, except for water.

Was a little chunky, but honestly not terrible - no worse than KSP1 would have been with my old setup. On launch it was *very* susceptible RUD if you did anything, including zoom in / zoom out really fast, almost like the physics calcs were stuttering and taking too long to finish, so the next 'frame' would start before the prior had resolved. Hard to explain it. 

IF I left things alone, till it gained some altitude it got much less likely to explode. Not very steerable; felt like the main engines had no gimbal control; even with big reaction wheels and RCS it was iffy. Felt like it needs verniers maybe, something I *never* used in KSP1

After SRB separation, framerate was good. 

My orbit was really inclined due to the poor steerability

SAS felt useless to me.

On the whole, though - I had a lot of fun; saved game and will plan on doing the Duna burn tonight

Yesterday Tim C.  stuck his Duna landing.  I tried a build with a hydrogen core stage, solid boosters, and a methalox lander, engines and separators in separate stages.  Different fuels in each stage seems to have defeated the fuel crossfeed bug.

New Duna looks fantastic all the way in to landing and the music sounds great. 

Tried to make Virgin galactic style rocket with Mun landing but encountered for 3h so many bugs and illogical VAB design decisions that at the end I did it in  KSP1, with a lot more ease, stability and information. What to say we have 5+ years of polishing to do

40 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I managed to fly this little plane under three bridges in one run.

It's very maneuverable but it still took quite a few runs.

img]https://i.imgur.com/OHJaBRl.png[/img]OHJaBRl.png

Happy landings!

Are you using something to get analog sensitivity for control? Using WSAD is a nightmare. Lol

Nice work. :D

37 minutes ago, B15hop said:

Are you using something to get analog sensitivity for control? Using WSAD is a nightmare. Lol

Nah.  Just old-school keyboard and mouse.  I have an old joystick in a box in the basement that I may try to get working at some point.

Happy landings!

45 minutes ago, B15hop said:

Tips for flying planes with WASD (yes it sucks lol):

-Turn off reaction wheels

-Caps Lock toggles fine controls when you want to make small/smooth adjustments

-Toggle camera (V key) until you get to “capture” or “body”. These lock the camera to your vehicle, then you can orient it to the rear of the plane and it stays there. (“Chase” works but it recenters everytime you make a control input which is annoying)

On 2/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, magnemoe said:

Hardware update first, ordered an 4070 ti today. an nice update from my 980 ti. skipped 3 gpu generations. 

Then stuff get very pear shaped or rater bananas. Upgrade graphic card  Wednesday 1.3, Thursday 2.3 shutting down PC to strap down some cabling and system did not start up, I assume the graphic card had came loose. fail, installing old card did not help. Its probably the PSU, orders new PSU and bring computer to office on Friday, found that the motherboard is dead and so is the PSU, I assume the PSU killed the motherboard dying. 
New motherboard a ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PRO arrived Tuesday  7.3 and also got the option to upgrade my cpu from an Ryzen 9 3900X to an Ryzen 9 5950X, who then overheated and shut down. Found that the Corsair iCUE H100i water cooling lies about cpu temperature, it said less than 40 centigrade but the real value was over 80, had to underclock to get an somewhat stable system. Today the new cooler an ASUS TUF GAMING LC 240 ARGB CPU cooler arrived and it looks like things is fine. 
The motherboard and cooler is still under guarantee  so the only loss was the PSU. 

But I say my system is KSP 2 qualified. 

Edited by magnemoe

I got jealous of all the videos of people doing great aerobatic feats flying under bridges at the KSC, so I wanted to do it too. Because I'm not so good at piloting, I built a small plane that's really slow! 

Then I hooned around the KSC at around 30 m/s and flew under all the bridges! It was fun! Even when I crashed no kerbals died! :joy:

Flew a smallish craft (8 km/s):

Direct escape trajectory from Kerbin.

Raised Apoapsis significantly beyond Eeloo. 30 years away.

When my velocity dropped below 1 km/s, cancelled it out to 0.0 m/s. I couldn't be bothered waiting for the actual apoapsis.

Fall, and fall.

Make sure not to timewarp below 600 km altitude, as the craft will instantly blow up.

Hit the surface of Kerbol at 90 km/s... only there isn't a surface or a kill sphere.

Fall to the centre of Kerbol. 4x physics warp is fine once you're below the surface.

Reach the effective singularity and get slingshotted into deep space at 10% C by the Kraken.E2-C0-F30-A-72-C1-4108-8872-E05973-A982-

For some reason the fuel tank blew up on the way out of Kerbol.

Just now, lemon cup said:

Very nice take on EUS.

We need some tank domes/hemispheres so you can really sell the look!

Thanks! EUS and ICPS were definitely inspirations here. I've been tentatively referring to the crew module as Korion, but at this point the name might just stick despite not really being a replica. 

Personally I'd love to see bare variants for the methalox and hydrogen tanks in general, would be great for radial placement in vacuum and use in cargo bays (if they were slimmed down just enough to fit inside a cargo bay of the same form factor).

I loaded a save game to find my craft shaking uncontrollably - doesn't seem to be a physics problem with the craft/SAS, but with the entire universe. Nothing got broken tho, it stopped on its own after a few seconds. Anyone experienced something similar. Searching the forum gives me a mixed set of KSP 2 and KSP 1 results...

Here's a vid anyway.

Good lord I love the rings on Dres.

As for what I did...landed a rover on Duna.  And as I state in the post in the Duna Mastery Challenge, this is the first rover I've ever landed anywhere other than Mun.  And at that, it's only the second rover I've ever landed anywhere.

Fresh start today.  Setting up a polar comms relay to manage my upcoming swarm of probes...

tJ13nYS.jpg

Still fine-tuning the north polar elliptical.  Thanks Obama Maneuver Nodes.

fCibb9G.jpg

A lonely comms satellite doing it's job out in the void.  I need to remember to radio it around Christmas.