[Request] Please don't bury the KSP1 subforums

Nazalassa

The KSP1 subforums are like buried under a ton of stuff, and seem like they are almost unused.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the KSP1 subforums be buried?

• No (I want them to come back before community and international)
    • Yes (I want them to stay where they are)

With the release of KSP2 in EA, the forums have been reorganized. Even if globally I like the new organization of subforums, I think that putting all the KSP1 stuff at the very bottom (after KSP2 stuff, community stuff, and international stuff) makes KSP1 a bit "the thing nobody plays which therefore gets all the way to the bottom". Even if it's probably wrong, as a lot of, or at least some KSP1 players will keep playing KSP1; also it is extremely impractical for these players.

So I humbly request (to the forum administrators) that the KSP1 subforums be no longer buried under all that stuff, and come back after KSP2 stuff, but before community and international stuff.

Thanks!

Edited by Nazalassa
Fixed ambiguous answers in the poll, sorry Also fixed ambiguous question.

The question "Do you want the KSP1 subforums to no longer be "buried"?" is a bit confusing. WOuld it be better to phrase it "Do you want KSP1 subforums to be burried?"

We here talking amongst the DMP regulars and most of them dont even have a computer that can run ksp2 at its best. So KSP wills till be the game of choice for all who cant run KSP2 or want to play with mods/features that dont exist in KSP2.

I do however understand that its all about getting people to move to and buy ksp2.

I agree.

KSP2 is going to take some time to get traction - we will get a burst of downloads, then a lot of fuzz about, and then some (probably most) people will get bored and will probably go back to KSP1 for "real playing" - or play something else, if they perceive KSP1 as a "dead game".

KSP1 is not dead yet. It eventually will be, but not yet. Until there, I think it's wise to give it some attention and care - it will be still be played by lots of people in the near future - or none of them will be played at all, to tell you the true.

Keeping people interested on KSP1 will help KSP2 on the long run.

Was just about to make my own thread about this :joy:. Seems kind of strange to upright put KSP 1 on the bottom of the screen when it will still be the predominantly used version of the game for the foreseeable future (if for no other reason than an extensive modding community.). I get putting KSP 2 up top, but KSP 1 should be right next to it, not regulated to the basement.

I think then order should be

General
KSP2
KSP1
KSP2 gameplay and technical support (maybe merged with KSP2)
KSP2 mods (maybe merged with KSP2)
Community
International
KerbalEDU

Also I think KSP2 gameplay and technical support and KSP2 mods should be sub-subforums of KSP2, like it is the case for KSP1...

3 hours ago, tg626 said:

Click that link and get a blank screen. (On mobile at least) any other forum, get a list of messages.

That link works for me on mobile, although we’re still having intermittent format issues from the theme implementation.  

On 3/4/2023 at 7:48 PM, Gargamel said:

I have no new news.    I would like to have news, but nothing has come down from above.    

Thanks Gargamel, it is a bit of a pain not being able to see the 3 KSP1 modding sub-forums split like they used to be. Considering they contain the vast majority of posts in this whole forum, it seems a bit weird hiding them at the bottom.

When you look at how much engagement has happened over the past decade with specific respect to those Add-On forums...

OxS1LYz.png

W3Xkjy2.png

xN9NjCz.png

I think the poll results at the top of the thread speak for themselves.

Edited by Poodmund

I have an additional request. Please move the "Week One Adventures" and other KSP2 specific threads into the KSP2 specific forums.

Pretty please? With a cheery on top?

I lost a lot of interesting posts buried inside an avalanche of postings about something that doesn't interest me right now even after making a specific Activity Query selecting only the Topics I'm interested. 

Having KSP2 specific things on the Community is forcing into remove it from the Query- and so I'll be prone to lose important announcements not to mention the Thread of the Month.

The sad true is that KSP2 is getting less and less concurrent players on Steam for while, and flooding the Community Topic with KSP2 specific posts will not improve the situation.  It's probably the other way around,  as this is an incentive to use other forums as reddit. I spent more time on reddit this week than on this forum by the first time in my Kerbal life.

At very least, moving these Threads into a KSP2 specific Forum will improve a bit the numbers Poodmund published above.

Edited by Lisias
Eternal typos from the Englishless mind.

Pardon my French, but why the hell is KSP 1 discussion at the very bottom of the forum?! Did it commit a crime? It has every right to be at the top of the forum. Forum staff, I know you’re gonna see this post. KSP 1’s community is still very active, and many of the people who played KSP 2 have come back here (mostly because the game’s practically unplayable). Can you please move it up toward the top of the forum? Right below the KSP technical support?

14 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Overlapping threads have been merged. 

Folks, we have two games. One has to go at the top and the other at the bottom. And right now there is going to be more interest for the new one, so it's a the top. 

Okay, yeah, that does make sense. But you guys just hid 12 years of history overnight (quite literally). Also, interest in KSP 2 is dwindling. The recommended to not recommended ratio is 5:6 on Steam. One day, KSP 1 will fall to the wayside. But it shouldn’t fall immediately.

3 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Okay, yeah, that does make sense. But you guys just hid 12 years of history overnight (quite literally). Also, interest in KSP 2 is dwindling. The recommended to not recommended ratio is 5:6 on Steam. One day, KSP 1 will fall to the wayside. But it shouldn’t fall immediately.

I'm coming to terms that perhaps Forum will not outlive KSP1.

SVB had hit the game industry badly - I don't know is PD had their money locked up, but I bet that some of their contractors did for sure and so making money fast and saving money where it's possible is the rule now to have the bills paid this month (everything but KSP2 is on sale on Steam, by the way).

Interesting enough, in the past few days the rumour that Sony is interested on buying TTI had resurfaced, with some force. That happening at the same time PD had laid off some workforce after two major flops on flagship products definitively raises an eyebrow or two.

Last time I heard news like these at the same time, they were relate to Stephen Elop and Nokia (and Microsoft) - but, granted, this may be my trauma speaking.

In a way or another the Community Managers are pushing the Discord servers a lot these days, and knowing that lots of publishers are shutting down their Forums to replace them with Discord, it's obvious that Discord is going to be their option if money shrinks to a point they will need to decide by one of them.

KSP1 is the child of a previous marriage anyway, the new wife don't want it competing with her newborn son. So much for the 12 years of history, I think.

• Community Manager
8 hours ago, Lisias said:

In a way or another the Community Managers are pushing the Discord servers a lot these days, and knowing that lots of publishers are shutting down their Forums to replace them with Discord, it's obvious that Discord is going to be their option if money shrinks to a point they will need to decide by one of them.

There's zero plan to shut down the forum or move away from them. They're an important part of this community's history and an incredibly valuable trove of advice, stories, and fun.

I've stated this before but Discord is just a new platform we're using to connect with a different part of the community - but it also has its downsides. The forum works spectacularly well and there's no reason to shut it all down.

As for the ordering of the forums, I'll look over all of it on Monday and see if I can come up with a solution that pleasures both active players of KSP1 and KSP2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.