Between Two Patches

Nate Simpson

1 hour ago, B15hop said:

No fix for the save breaking glitch that puts your ship into the VAB floor, corrupts the save and destroys the ship, making the entire thing useless? Did I miss that? Is that maybe the fix vehicle loss of frame thing? 

There are other improvements that we’re hoping to squeeze into Patch Two (one of which got checked in last night), so hopefully a few more big-ticket items will get added to the list in the coming days.

1 hour ago, B15hop said:

No fix for the save breaking glitch that puts your ship into the VAB floor, corrupts the save and destroys the ship, making the entire thing useless? Did I miss that? Is that maybe the fix vehicle loss of frame thing? 

Maybe in the next patch? But untill its fixed you should be able to work around it.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:00 PM, Gflight said:

Focusing on flowers. Flowers! Flowers!!! Really? That is your biggest concern right now for this game?

EycWtIi.png

But also, this sums it up : 

On 3/26/2023 at 10:01 PM, Superfluous J said:

What you may misunderstand is that there is more to fixing bugs than ordering them most to least important and then fixing them in order.

Different bugs are assigned to different people, for starters. The graphics person who fixed the flowers is not the same hardcore orbital math person who is working on discrepancies between predicted and actual orbits, nor are they the UI/UX person in charge of making maneuver nodes work better. Also, fixing the texture of grass is much simpler than the other two.

Further, there could be internal code organization that we are not aware of that is show-stopping fixing a bug. For example, any bugs with PQS or PQS+ are likely going to stay in the game unless they cause hard crashes to the desktop because the ultimate plan is to eliminate that whole system for the new terrain system whose name escapes me. For all I know, the underlying code for orbit calculations needs to be rewritten from scratch (for any number of reasons, including possibly something causing the bug we are seeing) so fixing that bug would be a waste of time better spent on the new system.

Couple of small things:

1. During a manouvre, please can we have a 'dV remaining' countdown like in KSP1?  This is vital for accuracy in burns so we can see if we under or over-burned during a manouvre?
  2. When will there be improvements to the Anti-Aliasing?  Even on a beefy system, the AA is pretty bad right now.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:41 PM, Kerballlistic07 said:

Two, will the system requirements change at all? Even a smidge? (Please say yes I'm begging)

I think they already have, on minimum settings I can run the game on an RX 580 GPU at around 20 FPS average. that's half the minimum requirements of the first patch. I am sure that the minimum requirements will be lowered even further in the next patch. The only major optimization they need to do right now is with the planets. When I am look up at the sky, I run at 50-70 FPS, but when I look at the ground, it plummets down to 5-20 FPS.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:13 PM, The Aziz said:

I'm looking at VAB and yes you can. You can also do in later.

What exactly is dumbed down?

I didn't say you can't change it in the VAB, I said you can't change it in flight.

Everything  in the VAB is dumbed down compared to KSP1 IMO

I posted this under ShadowZone's latest video, but I feel it bears mentioning here.

I'll start by saying I will never do multi-player; it simply isn't my cup of tea, nor is it the reason I play KSP.

With that said, it's a bit concerning that they are showing us stuff 5 features deep from the roadmap when they have given us nothing on Science or Exploration.  Science is supposed to be the first feature they release, but we have been shown nothing.  Instead, Nate gets all giggly over something that is supposed to be several releases away.

I sincerely hope that I'm worried over nothing.  But why are they working on that and not bugs, or performance, or features ahead of that?

I am highly concerned that Nate is talking about multiplayer now, when that is several feature releases away, yet we haven't seen anything related to the first feature release which would be Science/Exploration.  It's great to see they are making progress, but at what cost?  Bugs, performance, and other roadmap features should be coming BEFORE they work on multiplayer, no?

5 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Can someone show me where the "themes" are? i can't see them anywhere....

If you go to the very bottom of the forum where the social media links are and look above them, you’ll see the “Theme” option on the left. Unlike most conversations on this forum, it isn’t rocket science.

1 minute ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

If you go to the very bottom of the forum where the social media links are and look above them, you’ll see the “Theme” option on the left. Unlike most conversations on this forum, it isn’t rocket science.

Ahhhh i see. Actually, i've seen a primitive conversation in this forum. Unfortunately, it came from my topic thread i made earlier which got kinda salty ngl. But Thank You!

10 hours ago, Monkey8EA5T said:

Any ETA on patch 2 yet? might we have an Easter present? (pretty please?)

I keep checking every day as well. I excitedly check while at work (once, not constantly)...and then again at home....and then again before I go to bed. ^^' I have KSP on the brain and it just wont go away.

Edited by Mitokandria
clarification

On 3/24/2023 at 4:35 PM, Nate Simpson said:

image.png

While it’ll be tough to beat the sheer number of fixes that went into Patch One, we’re seeing quite a few big ones go down in Patch Two. We are still pulling a couple of late-breaking improvements into that build - once we’ve got it in QA’s hands we should be able to give you a date, and of course full patch notes will be posted when the build goes public. Until that time, here are a few things that are already checked into Patch Two:

• Fixed loss of vehicle on reference frame change when physicsless parts present
  • Fixed flamed-out engines not restarting properly
  • Enabled switching between vehicles in atmospheric flight (within PhysX bubble)
  • Recovered Kerbals now return to VAB Kerbal Manager
  • Gave click priority to planets rather than moons when zoomed out in Map view
  • Struts and fuel lines no longer broken after cloning subassembly in VAB
  • Fixed bug: vessels with no control deleted during save
  • Fixed flowers on Kerbin
  • Added "next" button to seizure warning screen
  • Height fog added to all atmospheres
  • Updated parking garage collision (now possible to enter structures)
  • Various CPU and GPU optimizations to improve performance

There are other improvements that we’re hoping to squeeze into Patch Two (one of which got checked in last night), so hopefully a few more big-ticket items will get added to the list in the coming days.

Here are a couple of screenshots to show our progress. We have pruned all the hovering flowers made of squares and replaced them with flowers made of flowers:

image.png

We’re also pretty excited about how nice the new height fog is looking. It’s a subtle change, but it adds a lot of depth to the landscape:

image.png

In other news, I did a Discord AMA this morning, and you can read some speedily-typed transcriptions of my answers here (thanks @Dakota). Thank you for all your questions - we received literally thousands of them and did our best to include as wide a variety as possible. This was lots of fun, and we’ll be doing more AMAs in the future! We’ll do our best to choose different questions the next time around so that things don’t get too repetitive. If you’ve got thoughts about how we can improve our AMA process, please let us know!

We’ve also got another Community Highlights post on the forum - it’s very exciting to see how Patch One has unblocked some more ambitious missions! Please keep sharing your creations in the #ksp2_screenshots and #ksp2_challenges Discord channels- our team is fueled by your crashes achievements! We’ve also added an upvote system to both of those Discord channels. If you like something, add an :upvote: emoji. If an image in one of those channels gets fifteen or more upvotes, it’ll appear in a new channel called #ksp2_bestof. If you posted a screenshot you’re proud of that has now been lost in the mists of time, feel free to resubmit your creation so that the community can give it the upvotes it deserves!

Also, the KSP Forums have themes now! You can opt into them by clicking the theme dropdown at the bottom of the page:

image.png

And speaking of Weekly Challenges, we’ve got a new one: this week, we’re heading out to Duna! Check out the Discord for details!

Have a great weekend. :) 

Ready! Good luck with the next release!

On 4/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

I am highly concerned that Nate is talking about multiplayer now, when that is several feature releases away, yet we haven't seen anything related to the first feature release which would be Science/Exploration.  It's great to see they are making progress, but at what cost?  Bugs, performance, and other roadmap features should be coming BEFORE they work on multiplayer, no?

The Devs are simply taking steps to ensure that KSP2 is multiplayer-compatible from the ground up. It's a factor that has to be considered in nearly every decision - not because multiplayer is more important, but because they've determined that it's better to work on all of these features simultaneously rather than one at a time. They'll eventually have to all work in harmony, anyways, but I'm not a game dev, so this is just my understanding of the situation.

48 minutes ago, SoulCandy said:

The Devs are simply taking steps to ensure that KSP2 is multiplayer-compatible from the ground up. It's a factor that has to be considered in nearly every decision - not because multiplayer is more important, but because they've determined that it's better to work on all of these features simultaneously rather than one at a time. They'll eventually have to all work in harmony, anyways, but I'm not a game dev, so this is just my understanding of the situation.

While I don't disagree entirely with this, the point is that this shouldn't happen or come at the expense of focusing on those things on the roadmap before this.  We haven't seen or heard a thing on Science, which is the first roadmap feature, and the devs are focusing on playing multi-player?