Patch Two On Approach

Nate Simpson

Sweet!!    Still daily driving my Ksp1 Rockets:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):, but every Ksp2 patch excites me!! 

Thanks for the continued hard work Intercept!

Folks talking about schedules for patch drops and the like, need some help understanding what takes place in order to produce meaningful (fixed code, simultaneous content and feature creation, as well as changes and refinements to non-broken code and final game experience) patches.  Time in a software development studio is like stepping in to a time machine. Weeks are analogous to microseconds in software development, especially for larger than one room/office sized studios. Just organizing the interactions of people in a multidisciplinary setting takes large efforts and time. So, maybe just be grateful that they're working hard to quickly roll out your game patches and for the unprecedented post-launch transparency, interactivity, and timely productivity...eh?

41 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Im hoping itll be patch 3 more bugs + heating patch 4 science but I dont feel like thatll be the case. Eitherway more bug fixes + tweaks are lovely and Im always happy to see them.

It would make more sense for them to put together heating and science, just my guess

EYY love the progress from the DEV team, but would it be nice to mabe add a Dv counter form all the planets and not just kerbin? Example if i have a rocket with a lander on its way to EVE, it would be nice to know before kerbin launch if that lander has enough Dv to take of and et to a EVE orbit:)

2 hours ago, Nava said:

EYY love the progress from the DEV team, but would it be nice to mabe add a Dv counter form all the planets and not just kerbin? Example if i have a rocket with a lander on its way to EVE, it would be nice to know before kerbin launch if that lander has enough Dv to take of and et to a EVE orbit:)

There are several mods out there that do this exceptionally well. Micro Engineer and Stage Info are two obvious ones. You might want to check them out.

4 hours ago, Little 908 said:

Is there going to be autostruct in patch 2? 

ᴵᶠ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᶦˢⁿ'ᵗ ᴵ'ᵐ ʰᵉᵃᵈᶦⁿᵍ ᵒᵘᵗ ᵗᵒ ˢᵉᵃᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶦᵐᵖˡᵉᵐᵉⁿᵗᶦⁿᵍ ᶦᵗ ᵐʸˢᵉˡᶠ

I really hope not. Autostrut was a bandaid, not a solution. The hope should be that we don’t ever need anything like that and designs work in reasonable ways without resorting to bandaids. Autostrut was a KSP1 bandaid. KSP2 should be designed to never need that. 

Edited by schlosrat

11 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

There are several mods out there that do this exceptionally well. Micro Engineer and Stage Info are two obvious ones. You might want to check them out.

I really hope not. Autostrut was a bandaid, not a solution. The hope should be that we don’t ever need anything like that and designs work in reasonable ways without resorting to bandaids. Autostrut was a KSP1 bandaid. KSP2 should be designed to never need that. 

It may have been a bandaid, but it was needed, we still need the bandaid until the wound has healed 

8 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Hello fellow Kerbonauts!

Okay, we've got a date for the v0.1.2.0 patch - it'll arrive next Wednesday, April 12. We'll post patch notes on that day as well. There's a nice blend of performance, stability, UI, and visual improvements, and we think these add up to a significantly improved KSP2 experience. One unheralded improvement, in addition to the already-announced fixes - the nighttime lighting at KSC has taken a big step forward:

image.png

Meanwhile, we're continuing to work on upcoming Science Mode features, re-entry and thermal systems, and of course ongoing improvements to performance and stability. We've also begun some investigations into improving the current wobbly rocket situation, and we should have more to discuss on that subject soon. 

For today's Weekly Challenge, we're going to Eve! Until the future arrival of re-entry heating, you've got a great opportunity to do a little low-risk sightseeing (and if you visit after next Wednesday, you'll get to experience Eve's stunning new height fog, as well):

image.png

Also, check out this week's burger-iffic Community Highlights post. So many amazing creations this week! There's also a new Tik Tok! 

I'm heading out for a few days' rest in a place that has sunshine, which means next week's updates will be made by guest writers. Please be nice to them, but also don't be so nice to them that my bosses decide I shouldn't do the posts anymore. Please be medium nice to them.

See you in two weeks! 

Better performance? I am in. I hope the game can run at a better FPS than 3 when I look at the ground. keep up the good work!

6 hours ago, schlosrat said:

This. Some people would like to build 1000 Part ships in KSP too. I unterstand where they come from but I beg to differ: One should not have to build such Monsters, the game should provide ( procedural and weldable ) parts and tools making high-parts-crafts unneccesary.

Same is true for auto-strut.

I'm still stuck to KSP1 on my potato thus my opinion shouldn't be taken too serious

10 hours ago, schlosrat said:

-1 for suggesting mods, +1 for being anti-wobble.

Sadly, Nate thinks wobble is a feature.

Reminder:

Wobble is not realistic, is not analogous to anything realistic, and stems from a problem that is the default unity joint system (which oh surprise they're using again on that "new" "strong" "foundation").

17 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

There's a nice blend of performance, stability, UI, and visual improvements, and we think these add up to a significantly improved KSP2 experience. One unheralded improvement, in addition to the already-announced fixes - the nighttime lighting at KSC has taken a big step forward:

With that previous list + "ksc lighting", it's looking very lackluster on what's proper headliner fixes.

I'm gonna do what you shouldn't and establish a pace based on 2 patches and their content: It's gonna be 6 months per "major" update, maybe 1 month between these small patches once they're done trying to regain goodwill with "fast" small patches, as it clearly doesn't work:

5TjzZBo.png

16 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Wobble is not realistic, is not analogous to anything realistic, and stems from a problem that is the default unity joint system (which oh surprise they're using again on that "new" "strong" "foundation").

This.  The craft should give audio and visual clues as stresses build, then start falling apart, maybe exploding, maybe not depending.  But the craft should break long before noodling if real physics is to be referenced.   A view in the editor that highlight color codes joint level tensile strength/weakness, maybe compressive also, could be nice

26 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

With that previous list + "ksc lighting", it's looking very lackluster on what's proper headliner fixes.

Before the first patch they mentioned maybe 10 fixes, the patch notes included over 280. I'd bet my sword that the list from previous post plus what we've seen here is only a fraction of what's to come next week.

And I will be there to check the results myself.

27 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Before the first patch they mentioned maybe 10 fixes, the patch notes included over 280.

This is why I mentioned "headliner" fixes.

If you don't read the patchnotes, playing patch 1 you'd maybe only notice the game doesn't crash as much (which is big, for sure) and that's it. Now it's been a month and looks like P2 is gonna feel the same.

29 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

And I will be there to check the results myself.

Don't speak for yourself alone.

10 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

playing patch 1 you'd maybe only notice the game doesn't crash as much (which is big, for sure) and that's it.

Game more stable, wheels work, UI is more clear, near-surface performance is better, trajectories show up in SOIs, craft parts don't go out of position if left alone for a period of time, clouds, atmosphere and ocean don't disappear. 

Just basic things you can see in the first hour of playing.

If P2 is going to feel the same, then I very much look forward to it, looks like plenty of annoyances are going to be fixed or further improved.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Game more stable, wheels work, UI is more clear, near-surface performance is better, trajectories show up in SOIs, craft parts don't go out of position if left alone for a period of time, clouds, atmosphere and ocean don't disappear. 

Just basic things you can see in the first hour of playing.

If P2 is going to feel the same, then I very much look forward to it, looks like plenty of annoyances are going to be fixed or further improved.

Couldn't use wheels because of low performance on ground, which kept me away from spaceplanes as well, and that performance didn't get noticeably better with P1. Didn't have issues with oceans or clouds disappearing before P1. The UI didn't feel any different. I'll definitely agree with the game being more stable.

Edited by PDCWolf

I can almost guarantee that P2 will have more than noticeable improvements, with many fixes and additions that will only be revealed post-release. They do this on purpose due to the  positive psychological effect. And, monthly patches is a more than sufficient pace that could be reasonably expected. 

It seems there are many kerbonaughts here that are single marshmallow kids...