KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.2.0

Intercept Games

On 4/12/2023 at 4:53 PM, regex said:

God I hate the "new players" argument. You can build in better UI cues instead of outright preventing an action that might be useful to some people.

New players are EXTREMELY important for the funding and longevity of any franchise/game :) I’m sorry if you don’t like that but it was and still is a core focus of KSP 2 as mentioned by the devs many times. Luckily the devs are very welcoming of mods so I’m sure a mod will come out for the exact niche situation that you are mentioning! It just takes some time. And if it doesn’t, perhaps you can enter the modding community and change the game with your idea! That’s how a lot of some of the best mods were created :) 

3 hours ago, Nicrose said:

New players are EXTREMELY important for the funding and longevity of any franchise/game

New players also aren't idiots who can't figure out well-designed interface cues. Instead of outright preventing an action that may be useful to some people the interface should instead be designed to accommodate both.

E: That's why I hate the "new players" argument, it always boils down to new players being stupid and thus experienced players shouldn't get The Thing. New players aren't stupid, we have good tutorials and the capability to have a well-designed interface, and experienced players should get The Thing.

Edited by regex
Spelling and fat-fingering on the phone

4 hours ago, regex said:

New players also aren't idiots who can't figure out well-designed interface cues. Instead of outright preventing an action that may be useful to some people the interface should instead be designed to accommodate both.

The game is an excellent educational tool and the maneuver planning tool is an important part of that. I agree that new players will figure it out and I also feel that the maneuver planner not showing orbits that are unachievable is a step backward in teaching people orbital mechanics. 

It's also worth noting that there are currently a ton of problems with the dV calculations so you could be locked out of the maneuver tool even if you actually have the dV required.

On 4/13/2023 at 12:03 PM, ShadowZone said:

I do. But that's why I want to see a "remaining dV" counter.

We already have the dV required at start on top. Why does this not decrease during execution of the maneuver? As soon as I have started burning, I no longer care what the initial dV requirement was. I need to know how much I still got ahead of me.

Micro Engineer shows remaining dV for maneuvers.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:50 PM, Nicrose said:

New players are EXTREMELY important for the funding and longevity of any franchise/game :)

This argument can easily be reversed: Keeping the current player base and fans happy and not alienating them is also EXTREMELY* important for the funding and longevity (especially if they are the ones doing free advertisement on the internet and among friends - even if gamers having friends might be an unconfirmed rumor :D). If a game looses its existing fan base because core functionality is missing** or the game is not enjoyed anymore, then it doesn't bode well for building a new fan base, does it? I mean who is supposed to enjoy it if the people that enjoyed KSP1 don't even enjoy it?

Building a franchise is comparatively easier than creating a new game out of nothing. You have a working and well-advertised product to begin with. You have a hype and a fan base that will probably fund you for a while no matter what. You have tons of feedbacks about the base game - admittedly, there doesn't have to be a consensus on that. The feedback and expectations might go into different directions. Still, you already have a pretty good basis to begin with. I don't think that reinventing the wheel as a triangle is the way to go. There is already soooo much inspiration on that forum here alone to draw from. Especially considering all the mods that offered small and big improvements. Why would it be wise to ignore most of it and go into a completely different direction which only few people enjoy?

*is there a reason EXTREMELY had to be SHOUTED? Do we have to SHOUT at each other to make our arguments? Caps Lock is generally considered as shouting or yelling and considered impolite. There are better (/friendlier) ways of emphasizing one's point. :)

**I consider myself a fan of the franchise that is alienated by the current direction of development. I have refunded my game on Steam. Seeing the latest patch notes unfortunately only confirm and reinforce the fears I had about the current development. And I hate that. I was really looking forward to KSP2 and I still hope that they will turn it around. Even if I'm extremely doubtful.

Edited by caipi

On 4/13/2023 at 12:55 AM, Intercept Games said:
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Maneuver plans are now constrained by available fuel and will no longer provide false projections that extend beyond vehicle's capacity. R.A.P.I.E.R. engines must be set to Closed Cycle mode to allow accurate orbital maneuver planning.

It's not a good idea. Please remove this feature in the next release!

42 minutes ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

I have a 3060.... just wanted to say that

I am the third owner of a 3070ti... woah, that felt good to get off my chest. 

Friendly jokes aside, I DID notice some improvements when flying, mainly in flying medium-ish craft of 50 - 100 parts the FPS increased significantly. 
I can't wait for the day where I can enjoy beatiful sunrises through the craters of the Mun in maybe 60 - 80 FPS, or even marvel at the green clouds of Jool. 

Keep up the good work.

10 hours ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

I am the third owner of a 3070ti... woah, that felt good to get off my chest. 

Friendly jokes aside, I DID notice some improvements when flying, mainly in flying medium-ish craft of 50 - 100 parts the FPS increased significantly. 
I can't wait for the day where I can enjoy beatiful sunrises through the craters of the Mun in maybe 60 - 80 FPS, or even marvel at the green clouds of Jool. 

Keep up the good work.

3070 ti...

never had one, but i did get lag when parts wobbled...

also apparently ksp 2 didnt want me to see explosions so it zooms in to my cockpit and then continues to explode...

On 4/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, Little 908 said:

Yes, but if you don't wanna pay the price, don't buy it? or am I missing something.

The price is high, but I would its a better deal then the plushies :joy: who actually pays a 50+ dollars for a... plushy.

I mean, I would buy it if I had nothing else to spend it on, but like... all plushies actually, wayyyyy to expensive- ok this is getting a bit off-topic 

Haha, don't give T2 the idea they can make more money off merch than the game. But they already have pivoted.

Edited by Meecrob

Hi,

the will of not being able to plan a manoeuver that takes more dV actually makes the game blocked because the actual dV analysis provided is mostly wrong, for instance i get 0dV while having more than half of full fuel tanks. Could you just simply deactivate this feature until the stuff is properly fixed and clean?

On 4/19/2023 at 2:01 AM, caipi said:

*is there a reason EXTREMELY had to be SHOUTED? Do we have to SHOUT at each other to make our arguments? Caps Lock is generally considered as shouting or yelling and considered impolite. There are better (/friendlier) ways of emphasizing one's point. :)

Just because you feel it is impolite doesn't mean it inherently is :) and considering I've never heard that in 20 years of being on the internet, I will take it with a grain of salt. Sorry you feel that way though! <3 

2 hours ago, Nicrose said:

Just because you feel it is impolite doesn't mean it inherently is :) and considering I've never heard that in 20 years of being on the internet, I will take it with a grain of salt. Sorry you feel that way though! <3 

I think it depends in which parts of the Internet you used to hang around. I'm an oldtimer too and started in the Usenet newsgroups. At least in the German newsgroups LARGE CARPS were considered as screaming. And like in real life people didn't like people who SCREAMED without reason.
Maybe english speaking newsgroups or web forums were/are different in their nettiquette?

3 minutes ago, jost said:

Maybe english speaking newsgroups or web forums were/are different in their nettiquette?

Yeah, here in the states it just draws attention to the word, essentially emphasizing it. We will put !'s to indicate yelling, and usually some curse words lol but here caps doesn't automatically mean yelling. I think it's just a geological difference. 

12 hours ago, Nicrose said:

Yeah, here in the states it just draws attention to the word, essentially emphasizing it. We will put !'s to indicate yelling, and usually some curse words lol but here caps doesn't automatically mean yelling. I think it's just a geological difference. 

Whatever it is, it reeks of clickbait. Also nobody listens to the US for English lessons, lol.

Edit: I'm just messin'

Edited by Meecrob

• 3 weeks later...