Symmetry Part Limit?

I'm trying to test out a really whacky design idea I have, simply to prove that anything is possible in KSP2.  I'm on Windows 11, 0.1.2.0, and running several mods (one of which is Lux's OAB Extension).  I've got 20 separatrons on a truss, and I've got said truss replicated 4 times around the bottom of the craft.  What I'm trying to do is prove that you can get into orbit with nothing more than separatrons, and up to this point I was able to achieve a maximum Ap of ~30km.  I need to continue building out the craft, and I'm pretty sure with the 20x4 I want to implement above I can get somewhere around 50km (which will still need crafting as I'm not yet in orbit).  I think this is possible.

Unfortunately, once I put the 20x4 on the bottom of the craft and go to launch, the Kraken decides it needs a small snack and eats the craft.  The craft spins uncontrollably on the launchpad until it whirls itself into a tornado of exploding separatrons and other rocket parts.  My FPS is hovering around 3 at this point (yay for being at the bottom of the recommended specs with that RTX 2060 Super), so I cannot see exactly what part is causing the spin.  I know that on the upper stages if I have too many parts this happens, and before this I was able to confirm which sections were out of whack and how many separatrons to place on each section.  But due to my low FPS AND the camera deciding to flake out and go show me stuff nowhere near the launchpad at the time this happens, I cannot track which section or part is the culprit.

So my question:  Is there an upper limit to the number of parts a particular stage can have using symmetry before the Kraken wakes up?  I was using ALT-V to copy a part and then place it, and I wonder if that is causing an issue?  Should I instead just manually build each section of the 20x4, turning them into a singular 20 separatron piece and then attaching 4 of them?  Do you think that the copy function is causing an issue here?

And after doing some testing, I figured out that this was due to the noodling effect on rockets.  Even though I have but one truss stacked upon another, the craft bounced and shook all over the place on the launchpad, causing the vehicle to destroy itself.  I had to add struts around the entirety of the craft - 12, to be precise - to keep the craft from doing this.

In my opinion, this is a bug.  2 parts stacked one upon the other should not have this effect.  If I was 10 parts high, sure.  But 2?  That's ridiculous.  Just because I have symmetry for a bunch of the same part on the craft shouldn't make it so that the parts can't stack properly.

17 hours ago, GalileOh-No said:

A thought:

Assuming you have Sepratrons on either side of a joint firing at the same time - if you adjust the throttle limiter for the ones below said joint lower than the ones above will it "pull" the rocket up at that section to alleviate  noodling?

i think so

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm trying to test out a really whacky design idea I have, simply to prove that anything is possible in KSP2.  I'm on Windows 11, 0.1.2.0, and running several mods (one of which is Lux's OAB Extension).  I've got 20 separatrons on a truss, and I've got said truss replicated 4 times around the bottom of the craft.  What I'm trying to do is prove that you can get into orbit with nothing more than separatrons, and up to this point I was able to achieve a maximum Ap of ~30km.  I need to continue building out the craft, and I'm pretty sure with the 20x4 I want to implement above I can get somewhere around 50km (which will still need crafting as I'm not yet in orbit).  I think this is possible.

Unfortunately, once I put the 20x4 on the bottom of the craft and go to launch, the Kraken decides it needs a small snack and eats the craft.  The craft spins uncontrollably on the launchpad until it whirls itself into a tornado of exploding separatrons and other rocket parts.  My FPS is hovering around 3 at this point (yay for being at the bottom of the recommended specs with that RTX 2060 Super), so I cannot see exactly what part is causing the spin.  I know that on the upper stages if I have too many parts this happens, and before this I was able to confirm which sections were out of whack and how many separatrons to place on each section.  But due to my low FPS AND the camera deciding to flake out and go show me stuff nowhere near the launchpad at the time this happens, I cannot track which section or part is the culprit.

So my question:  Is there an upper limit to the number of parts a particular stage can have using symmetry before the Kraken wakes up?  I was using ALT-V to copy a part and then place it, and I wonder if that is causing an issue?  Should I instead just manually build each section of the 20x4, turning them into a singular 20 separatron piece and then attaching 4 of them?  Do you think that the copy function is causing an issue here?

i'd say thats mostly part join instability. Theres not much u can do other than add struts i think, or use unbreakable joints

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.