Shine On, You Crazy... Planet?!?

Nate Simpson

If patches are gonna get even more spaced out, a regular two week update on development's... development (?)... would be nice.

Just don't leave us in the dark. It's cold out here, and we are alone :P

Edited by cocoscacao

16 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Albedo is just part of the story. Here's Jupiter on Europa's night sky, the surface is almost invisible:

I don't trust the very low brightness of Europa's surface. Jupiter is pretty big in this image, it should cast quite some light onto Europe's surface.
- Space Engine's 'realistic' camera seems to model camera-like dynamic range. Our eyes are better, and are more what KSP is going for, which makes sense.
- We know the brightness of planets in Space Engine can be adjust with the 'real planet brightness' setting, and the 'planet shine' setting (whose exact name I forgot). Perhaps it's a bit off: It's not raytraced graphics.

Even if it is correct in Space Engine, I think Jool is larger in the sky in KSP, so it is shining more light onto Laythe.

Edited by kedrednael
duplicate answer fixed..

I don't know whether one can see stars while the observer is in space, but I do know that that argument has been extensively fought out elsewhere. Let's please not repeat it all here. 

A number of comments removed. 

On 4/29/2023 at 8:10 PM, f!r3fOx_ said:

What? 4 Weeks is 1 Month. 8 Weeks are 2 Months. It´s time to think in Months and years......

My interpretation of "weeks, not months" was always "it'll make sense to think in terms of weeks instead of months".  It's only beyond about 10 weeks where talking about months makes sense.

I come from an engineering background where communicating about schedules in weeks is pretty normal, but I don't think that it's an unusual way of speaking.

Going down the scale, lots of people would say  "10 days" or even "15 days" before just rounding to weeks.

And up the scale, people talk about the age of babies in months up until almost 30, in my experience.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, DunaManiac said:

practically invites the kraken to your front door

Not if you do it right :)

On 4/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, DunaManiac said:

It's a little too early to write an obituary, but things really need to turn around if KSP2 is to surpass its predecessor: and this isn't it. I think that the "wait and see" people were wrong; I have done a lot of waiting, and I don't like what I see. I have full faith that the team is acting in good faith: I just don't have faith they can deliver.

I'm starting to share this notion...

10 hours ago, f!r3fOx_ said:

The way KSP 2 appeared was the wrong way. The correct way would have been:

1. A fully KSP 2 in Early Access, like KSP 1 for €30
2. Bugfixing would have been the next step
3. Multiplayer
4. The end of Early Access
5. DLC Colonies for €20
6. DLC Interstellar Voyages for €20
7. DLC Exploration for €20

Currently you pay for 50 € KSP 2 in Early Access with all roadmap features that have been planned.
I would have bought every DLC in my example. Then you could have covered the costs better.
In my example €90.
I don't know what they were thinking with the current strategy....

Nah dude DLCs suck.

Bro….. I legit am starting to wonder if they are trolling.  We’ve gotten a patch that barely improves the game once every three -four weeks and they are going to SLOWD down lmfao?!  

Naw, this game won’t be done until 2025, if ever. 

1 hour ago, razark said:

Release game NOW!
>Why'd you release unfinished game?!?

Patch game NOW!
>Why patches not fix everything?!?

Patch all the things!
>Why patch not soon?!?

:rolleyes:

Ok it's time for release.
>No, we can't release, we'll release next year.

Ok, it's time for release.

>Sure, but we downgraded our original full game promise to an unplayable EA, even though it looks the same as you saw in 2019. Also we recommend a 3080.

Hey the game doesn't work.
>We'll fix it "in the coming weeks".

(weeks later) Hey the game still doesn't work.
>We fixed what we could. We'll fix more in a few weeks.

(a month later) Hey the game still doesn't work, looks worse, and you removed useful features
>We're slowing our update cadence to include newer features!

At least get the full story bro.

51 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

At least get the full story bro.

Cool.  You want a cookie?

See how useless that was?  Like the two comments I was replying to in the thread that got merged in here.

21 minutes ago, razark said:

Cool.  You want a cookie?

See how useless that was?  Like the two comments I was replying to in the thread that got merged in here.

Are those comments in the room with us?

2 hours ago, razark said:

Release game NOW!
>Why'd you release unfinished game?!?

Patch game NOW!
>Why patches not fix everything?!?

Patch all the things!
>Why patch not soon?!?

<Most Fans> I can't wait for KSP2 but take the time you need to get it right.

<Take 2> Release game NOW! We promised our investors it would be released this financial year!

<Fans Paying $50> Why'd you release broken game?!? Patch game NOW!
<Fans Paying $50> Why patches not fix anything?!? Patch all the things!

<Nate Simpson> Look at this improvement we've made to planet shine. You'll have to wait longer for it though.

<Fans Paying $50> What about the game breaking bugs?

I’m behind you guys but the trolls are going to absolutely trash this update. I see the torches and pitchforks already.
Good luck folks, sincerely. I’ll be here regardless.

What is happening here? stop being excited about this kind of bad news. this is how you repay our support?

If things really that tough for you people, just find somebody who are capable, if you need my money just take it once more.

STOP PLAYING US.:(

@Nate Simpson You said, I believe it was in 2021, the game was almost finished? Yet we get EA with basics not working properly and an empty game?

I honestly have lost all my faith in this game and the studio. Seriously, what happened in the years?

Truth to be said: I asked for a refund after buying and playing KSP2 and I  doubt I will ever buy KSP2 again. I think the game will not survive how it's currently going and truth to be told the entire development is one big mess. I can't understand how it ever came this far. 

Edited by Ferio

This post was badly worded. A pr blunder.
People here can see through corporate word fluff like its glass so why bother.

Instead of:

"On the subject of updates: our update cadence is going to slow down a little bit. There are a couple of reasons for this, not least of which is that every time we release an update, we divert resources that would otherwise be focused on continuing to improve the game. We are always balancing our desire to improve the current Early Access experience against long-term goals that involve more time investment."

It should've been framed as something like:

"Our updates from now on are no longer going to just be bugfixes. They will have meat [0]  in them meaning extra time is needed to prepare them.  While our first 2 bugfix updates have been released as soon as we could based on our monthly(?) sprint cycle, such a cadence is less viable for some future content updates as releasing half a feature is worse for expectations then releasing none at all. "
[0] content and QoL , Src. Discord

I feel people would have taken that significantly better. The original line is a vague apologetic that frames the development team as a victim of resource constraints, while the alternative framing holds the value that community should expect from this negative change in update scheduling. 
Both are true, but obviously what the community wants isn't another veiled apology, but rather confidence in this game's direction. Aka. the goal of good communication. 

Edited by Xelo
formatting

5 hours ago, Xelo said:

I feel people would have taken that significantly better.

I disagree.  Not that they would have taken it worse, but rather that we still would have seen the response we got.  Maybe a few people might have been a bit less upset?  But it's still the same tired line we got for 3 years leading up to EA, coupled with Nate's promise from 2021 that the game was nearly finished.  The game isn't good, it isn't ready for prime time, and instead of worrying about fixes and such we get screenshots of them playing multi-player and Nate telling us how pretty Jool looks.  The words of the statement don't hold much water or weight when the actions of the company show us who they really are.

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

coupled with Nate's promise from 2021 that the game was nearly finished.

He actually promised? Does anyone actually have a source for this quote? KSP developers have historically been pretty bad at communicating (seems like a curse of the franchise) but to actually promise the game was near completion two years before EA release?