The Sky is Not the Limit: A Modded KSP1 Career Playthrough - Volume Two: Settling the Frontier

TwoCalories

16 hours ago, Kerb24 said:

I should have suggested this earlier, but since the Soviets wanted to do more cooperative missions, maybe to pass the time until a transfer window they could launch a module to Space Station Roundhouse? (Apologies if something prevents this that I didn't consider)

I would, but SS Roadhouse is a bit more like a Skylab analog, and the Soviet Space Program probably has their own Salyut-alike thing going on, so international cooperation on stations will probably come along later.

Edited by TwoCalories
WOAH! PAGE SEVEN!

Chapter Nineteen: Loud and Clear!

img%5D

Spoiler

It is an exciting day at the KSC. For the first time since Trinity-1, a new rocket is being rolled out to the launchpad. At LC-41, fresh from the Vertical Integration Facility, stands a Dexterity-3 rocket.

img%5D

img%5D

What is the Dexterity-3, you might ask? Well, if you can recall, KASA had a long-running program called the Scout program. Scout satellites were among the best vessels ever made at the KSC. They were extremely versatile and led Vankadia's pioneering missions to the Mun and Minmus.

Now, KASA has built on the lessons learned from the Scout satellites, as well as building off of the reliable, versatile technologies and launcher. The Dexterity-3 is the culmination of all those efforts. It is a versatile launcher that was designed with launching unmanned payloads into LKO, HKO, (possibly Keosynchronous, but we haven't tried yet) in mind, but can almost certainly launch probes to the Mun, Minmus, and even interplanetary!

And what might that payload be? Well, our PR manager Walt Kerman recently asked the public to guess the payload. Many of you space enthusiasts guessed it to be an interplanetary probe, or something actually exciting. Well guess what? It's actually just a relay satellite. Yep. A little disappointing, I know. But not every launch can be something as trailblazing as Pathfinder-1, or Trinity-3.

Furthermore, relay satellites will be essential in keeping our Deep Space Network strong. When the time comes, we'll be sending probes out to Eve and Duna. That requires a strong signal to keep in touch with Mission Control. Relays like these will make sure we'll always have a loud and clear connection, so take comfort in knowing that this'll all be worth it in the end.

Also, some of you may be wondering why we went with black for our rocket's paint job. It's a little bit more ominous, and also pretty dang cool looking. Well, coolness was definitely a factor, but there was another factor in this design as well. One of the reasons why this rocket underwent so much development time.

You see, the Vankadian military sees potential in being able to launch satellites and assets into space for their own purposes. As this is a matter of national security as well as exploration, this rocket underwent years of planning with the USAF and KASA together. Mostly, the Air Force just wanted a rocket that could lift payloads into any orbit, which KASA agreed with, because extra Delta-V can never hurt, can it?

Now enough of me and my massive walls of text! Let's launch this thing!

img%5D

"Liftoff on Scout/CommSat-1, from the KSC on this sunny afternoon!"

img%5D

"Roll program complete. Initiating pitch program."

img%5D

Scout/CommSat-1 will be heading to a Kerbin Polar Orbit to start and will soon burn into a highly elliptical orbit.

img%5D

"Core stage away, upper stage ignition!"

img%5D

"Interstage ring, clean sep."

img%5D

"Fairings are jettisoned." "Okay, cameras are coming in, and boy is it beautiful!"

img%5D

One orbit later, the Apoapsis-Raise Maneuver is initiated.

img%5D

Scout/CommSat-1 reached its destination successfully.

Almost two weeks later, Scout/CommSat-2 is rolled out. Due to bad weather conditions, the launch had to be pushed back. This messed up the transfer windows quite a bit, but MCC (Mission Control Center) assured us that it would just require a burn of the CommSat's own OMS system to complete the burn once the Dexterity Upper Stage was depleted.

img%5D

"We have a liftoff of Scout/CommSat-2, on its way to strengthen our DSN!"

img%5D

Breaching the cloud layer.

img%5D

"Upper stage away!"

img%5D

It was at this point in the flight that the KSC detected a minor anomaly upon fairing separation. However, all the systems checked out, and the flight continued.

img%5D

The DUS (Dexterity Upper Stage) performs an orbital maneuver.

img%5D

Scout/CommSat-2 finishes off the burn with its OMS, derived from the reliable and efficient Scout OMS. The probe was weirdly unstable during the burn.

Once the probe drifted freely for a little while as MCC checked out the systems. Soon, the command was sent to extend the satellite's twin solar panels.

img%5D

"Solar panels extended. Keep the cameras aimed at the- uh... Flight, I believe we've found the source of the anomaly on launch."

Somehow, during fairing separation, the fairing bumped into the satellite and tore the unextended solar panel clean off its mounting base! However, we have plenty of redundant solar panels. We were pretty lucky it didn't take off something more mission-essential, like the relay dish! The only thing now is that the satellite will look a little ugly, but it's better than the alternative. We'll have to tweak the flight plans for the Dexterity-3 a little bit, too, so that this won't repeat itself.

All in all, however, the Scout/CommSat missions were a success! Now these relays will keep a strong connection between MCC and our future interplanetary probes. And now we also have a launcher fit for the job! Interplanetary doesn't seem so out of reach anymore!

img%5D

The complete comm network, including our probes and assets in Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus orbit.

Edited by TwoCalories
Added a little more text to the big 'ol wall of text.

19 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Kudos on that interstage ring! They can be hard.

Sorry for the late reply. To make a really easy interstage, I just add a second decoupler pointing down beneath the engine shroud and decoupler, with some sepratrons attached. For a nicer interstage, I use engine plates instead of the first decoupler, but either way works.

19 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Excited about the development of a new rocket, that's a good step forward.

I'm pretty stoked about how it came out, too. The Dexterity-3 has a lot of potential for deploying satellites, deep space probes, and other such things.

3 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

To make a really easy interstage, I just add a second decoupler pointing down beneath the engine shroud and decoupler, with some sepratrons attached. For a nicer interstage, I use engine plates instead of the first decoupler, but either way works.

I experimented with some interstage rings last night and got *mostly* positive results. It just depends on the engine, because if it's too wide the decoupler will get stuck on the engine bells, and then all kraken is loose. Yours looks much nicer, though.

This Week at KASA: A New Look?

img%5D

Looks like this logo won't be staying for long...

Spoiler

Since 1965, the date of KASA's formation, the Democratic States of Vankadia pushed the limits of Kerbalkind and raced to reach new heights before their Zolosteni counterparts, all under the banner of KASA's insignia.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

But that was then. The affectionately named "Wormball" served our purposes then, but as a new era of exploration begins, we, too, must change.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

We've made the decision to give KASA a new look, because we're not some Cold War relic anymore, but a consortium of the finest and most able individuals of not just Vankadia, but of all Kerbalkind. We now push the limits of Kerbalkind not to beat the Zolosteni Union too it, but to explore the universe and uncover its mysteries! Why settle for the wild blue yonder when there's a star-speckled black yonder lying just outside?

So, without further ado, we present to you, KASA's new insignia, representing the agency as a whole, showing where we've started, where we've been, and where we're going.

Spoiler

img%5D

*Insert applause from the press conference here*

Thank you, thank you!

We've worked extremely hard on this final design, and it has gone through several variations, but we are thrilled with the final product. As you can see, we've included the main elements of the original Wormball. The new Wormball is cleaner, more modern, and one worthy of inspiring generations of aspiring Kerbonauts. The wormball is emblazoned with its iconic "worm" text, and the three twinkling stars and the celestial body (it can be any body you interpret it to be!) rising on the horizon represent our goal of exploring the final frontier.

Thank you for listening to this press conference. We'll be taking questions in fifteen minutes, even though I'm not sure what there is to question. It's a logo! A pretty slick-looking one, I might add.

Author's Note:

Spoiler

Yep, you heard our PR Director Walt Kerman correctly. We our getting a new logo for KASA! We've already changed out the logos on our facilities and vehicles, and the next KASA launch you see will be painted with this new logo.

I'm really happy with how it came out. It took some inspiration from the Interstellar NASA logo, as well as the flags provided from the PALETTE TUFX configs mod. If you're wondering, it was made completely in Krita.

That's it for now. A new chapter will be coming soon (TM)!

Edited by TwoCalories

This is awesome! I am a bit of a vexillology nerd, and I can say, this... this is perfection. 

1. Keep it simple: check
  2. Use meaningful symbolism: check
  3. Use 3 or 4 basic colors: check
  4. No lettering or seals: Normally, words on a flag are bad news, but in this case, I will let it slide, since it's so tastefully done and this is more of a seal/logo anyway.
  5. Be distinctive or be related: check

(Adapted from the Good Flag, Bad Flag guidelines)

All the threads I'm following are getting new logos... perhaps I should continue the trend.

I've just reached 1,000 rep! This is quite a milestone, and most of that rep came from here. So, thanks to all of you who've supported my mission report, and a new chapter will come out soon. I don't want to spoil anything, but it'll be quite a... different update... :wink:

8 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

I've just reached 1,000 rep! This is quite a milestone, and most of that rep came from here. So, thanks to all of you who've supported my mission report, and a new chapter will come out soon. I don't want to spoil anything, but it'll be quite a... different update... :wink:

Congratulations! I'm glad this thread has been so successful. We all enjoy it, wherever you choose to go with it.

Update: Due to countless issues revolving around the mod Kerbal Konstructs, I reinstalled the mod. I was thoroughly fed up with it and just wanted a clean reinstall. That means we lost the custom KSC, but it's not that big of a deal, as I can just install KSC Extended for now, until I make a custom space center again, if ever.

A new chapter will, for real this time, be coming soon.

Posted (edited)

Chapter Twenty: Beginning Operations

img%5D

Spoiler

June 1971, somewhere in Northwest Vankadia -

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

As Joseph Fletcher Kerman sat in his office, staring out the window, he could just make out the green formation lights of the F/A-18s soaring overhead as they went on their patrol. He had served several years in the Vankadian Air Defense Force where he spent his earlier years flying the F-4 Phantom, before transitioning to the newer F-15 Eagle and then the F-16 Viper. When his service was over, he still hoped to be able to participate in his country's aerospace in some way, with the spaceflight industry being a very tempting option that he ended up taking.

He remembered filing his application forms for KASA when the government officials arrived. They made him get on a plane to Roukia, the Vankadian capital, and didn't take any questions. The next thing he knew, he was being briefed on his new assignment: the manage an agency that researches mysterious artifacts in space. Joseph barely had time to process the implications of the existence of these objects before he was sent out to the KASE airbase.

If his past self ever heard what he'd be doing now...

Joseph pushed away those thoughts. He continued focusing on the letter he was writing. This letter would go straight to the Secretary of Defense, and the future of the agency depended on it.

THE FOLLOWING ARCHIVAL DOCUMENT HAS BEEN LABELLED TOP SECRET

CLASSIFIED OR SENSITIVE INFORMATION HAS BEEN CENSORED

Kerbal Anomaly Surveillance and Exposition

Headquarters: Roukia, 20330-1670

June 12th, 1971

TO: Secretary of Defense

SUBJECT: Request for Increased Funding

---

As you are aware, the goal of KASE is to get a better understanding of the [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] located around Kerbin, the Mun, and are detected even as far as Minmus. With the cancellation of KASA's Project Trinity, we can now operate in near total secrecy. However, our current funding is simply not enough to sustain our projects, both current and planned. The launch of the [][][][][][][][][][][] was barely possible with our current amount of federal budget.

I know that this situation is quite fragile, as we cannot afford to draw to much attention to what we are doing here by diverting large amounts of funds. Keeping this information hidden from the public is crucial. However, being able to research the [][][][][][][][][][] is equally important, as well as being able to assess if it is a threat, or what this means for Kerbalkind. We hope your financial managers can find a way to discreetly pull at least [][][][][][][][][] Funds from other government departments.

The Funds are necessary, because for our future plans to work, we need to train a new generation of Kerbonauts. Enclosed in this letter are over [][][][][][][][] candidates that we want pulled from their regular assignment to be put into KASE training. All of them are either [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] or [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]. To be able to even launch these crews into space, we will need to retrofit the Jovian-5 launch vehicles that we delivered last month. Due to the high-latitude location of the [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][], we will need to research ways to modify the rockets so that it can still reach LKO and beyond. Current plans involve [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][], so we will need the appropriate parts delivered to the [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]. We also request [][][][][][][][] Dexterity-3 launch vehicles, to be able to launch our under construction [][][][][][][][][], which will be able to investigate the [][][][][][][][][] firsthand.

This is a huge ask, and I am aware. But you know how important this agency is. The [][][][][][][][][][][][] discovered by Trinity-6 will cause widespread panic if the public finds out. We need to be able to assess if this is a threat to Kerbin life, as well as investigate it further, as, national security issues aside, the possibility of [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] is both terrifying and exciting. As for the [][][][][][][][][][][][][] discovered on Kerbin, we need to be able to keep them guarded and behind walls.

We are on the verge of something great here, and I hope you can deliver us the funding required to get us there.

Joseph leaned back in his chair and sighed. Outside, he could see the F/A-18s come in for a landing after their patrol. If any unidentified aircraft had entered the area during their patrol, that aircraft would have been shot down immediately to keep their operations totally secret. He shuddered at the thought of that possibility.

He looked over at the picture hung up on his office wall. It was the clearest picture of the "Gateway" (as the scientists had taken to calling it, due to its arch-like form) yet, taken by their recently launched Overwatch-2 satellite.

img%5D

He stared at it until his eyeballs hurt, trying to see past the blurry pixels and terrible lighting conditions. It almost blended in with the surrounding terrain, if it wasn't for that large, exposed section in the middle. What was that exposed section? It wasn't known, yet.

Joseph looked out to the night sky. The truth was out there. Somewhere, there was a terrifying, marvelous thing waiting to be discovered.

Edited by TwoCalories

Just wondering, what did you think of yesterday's chapter? It's been a pretty long time, and the chapter went kind of different then I'd had it planned for a while, and I'm not that happy with the end product since yesterday I was especially pressed for time. I'm planning on making some revisions today, but what did you guys think about it?

6 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

Just wondering, what did you think of yesterday's chapter? It's been a pretty long time, and the chapter went kind of different then I'd had it planned for a while, and I'm not that happy with the end product since yesterday I was especially pressed for time. I'm planning on making some revisions today, but what did you guys think about it?

For something meant to be top secret and mysterious, it was strangely straightforward about the existence of the anomaly, but it was very intriguing to see an aspect of the space program never before seen, and I enjoyed it. I wonder what'll happen to whoever explores the anomaly in person...

3 hours ago, Kerb24 said:

I really enjoyed the chapter, and I am excited to see where this story goes.

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

For something meant to be top secret and mysterious, it was strangely straightforward about the existence of the anomaly,

I'm not sure what you mean. I was assuming that the existence of the anomaly was already known by the higher-ups (including the Secretary of Defense) of the DoD.

7 minutes ago, Kimera Industries said:

but it was very intriguing to see an aspect of the space program never before seen,

I should probably mention that this isn't a division of KASA, but rather a division of the United States Air Force. The ZIP code that the letter was addressed to is actually the location of the Air Force's part of the Pentagon.

In other news, the revisions are done. There wasn't really much, just a tiny amount of extra detail and some grammatical fixes. Also, here's KASE's flag.

img%5D

It's designed to be like a mirror-version of the new KASA logo!

Classified mission patches always have some minor clue alluding to what their true purpose is, as if to taunt people to try and figure out just what the mission's objective is. Can you figure out what the insignia represents? Well, parts of it are kind of obvious, I guess, but still. :P

21 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I was assuming that the existence of the anomaly was already known by the higher-ups (including the Secretary of Defense) of the DoD.

I just meant that even when the higher-ups know, this kind of thing is still left as ambiguous as possible to the viewers to build tension.

I should probably mention that this isn't a division of KASA, but rather a division of the United States Air Force. The ZIP code that the letter was addressed to is actually the location of the Air Force's part of the Pentagon.

Good point. I simply overlooked that, sorry.

Classified mission patches always have some minor clue alluding to what their true purpose is, as if to taunt people to try and figure out just what the mission's objective is. Can you figure out what the insignia represents?

Kerbin in the background, the Mun in the foreground, and a star on the surface representing the location of the anomaly. Also, the sans-serif gold lettering on dark grey reminds me of the names on CASE and TARS. The fact that it says "KASE" only further strengthens this connection.

Spoiler

Why the robots would have printed  Braille is beyond me, but it looks cool for sure.

Edited by Kimera Industries

3 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

The fact that it says "KASE" only further strengthens this connection.

That's actually kind of a coincidence. KASE was just the coolest acronym I could come up with that was also sort of related to the agency (because a "case" can mean a mystery, and... uh... yeah).

4 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

That's actually kind of a coincidence. KASE was just the coolest acronym I could come up with that was also sort of related to the agency (because a "case" can mean a mystery, and... uh... yeah).

Somehow, the spelling of "KASE" looks better than "CASE." I think that's the kerbal within me saying 'Add a K to every word to make it better.'

On 1/8/2024 at 1:58 AM, TwoCalories said:

In other news, the revisions are done. There wasn't really much, just a tiny amount of extra detail and some grammatical fixes. Also, here's KASE's flag.

img%5D

It's designed to be like a mirror-version of the new KASA logo!

Classified mission patches always have some minor clue alluding to what their true purpose is, as if to taunt people to try and figure out just what the mission's objective is. Can you figure out what the insignia represents? Well, parts of it are kind of obvious, I guess, but still. :P

There's a blue planet, that might be Kerbin, and a big planet, which could be Jool.

Is KASE planning to go to the green giant?

In other news, I really like this new storyline with the anomalies! Keep it up!