A Taste of Science

Nate Simpson

25 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

If I could like this +1000 I would. I for one am sick to death of the whiners that only want to whine. You nailed it @Sylvi Fisthaug.

Aaaw, thank you! You made my day a bit better. 

I like your constructive tone of voice in your post as well. It's important to acknowledge the other party. 

Edited by Sylvi Fisthaug

Oh yeah realized I forgot to comment on the update itself! The science part is obviously very cool, as said before hope you can do all the little instruments separately but having combo parts would be great qol. It sounds like we're getting close to patch 3 (ie 2-3 weeks away), and an official nailing down of what we can expect for patch 3 (if itll just be bug fixes or we'll get some minor parts with it) would be great to let the community set its expectations accordingly. Besides that keep up the good work.

1 minute ago, PDCWolf said:

Code I hope you obtained and checked legally, and are ready to link as a source.

Hey PDC, FYI, decompiling is perfectly legal. It's sharing that's not. If someone has peeked inside to see what's there, and then happens to say, "oh hey! Look at this! Isn't that interesting", that's legal. If they then mention it here or anywhere else, that's legal too. What they can't do is copy and paste out of that decompiled code.

Another curious question is, when will Adventure Mode be available? Is it at least partially connected to science, or some other roadmap feature?

When science lands, I'll have my full KSP 1++ experience. Everything else is just icing on the cake. But there are career fanatics as well....

2 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

Hey PDC, FYI, decompiling is perfectly legal. It's sharing that's not. If someone has peeked inside to see what's there, and then happens to say, "oh hey! Look at this! Isn't that interesting", that's legal. If they then mention it here or anywhere else, that's legal too. What they can't do is copy and paste out of that decompiled code.

Decompiling is against the EULA though.

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Oh yeah realized I forgot to comment on the update itself! The science part is obviously very cool, as said before hope you can do all the little instruments separately but having combo parts would be great qol. It sounds like we're getting close to patch 3 (ie 2-3 weeks away), and an official nailing down of what we can expect for patch 3 (if itll just be bug fixes or we'll get some minor parts with it) would be great to let the community set its expectations accordingly. Besides that keep up the good work.

Seeing the combo parts has me thinking. I think they said that science will be a bit different and that you're not just gonna go strap on a thermometer and run around picking up science points. Maybe what the difference will be that it's more mission focused? Like: Here's the cool science gadget, we need you to haul it to low Munar orbit for us. Then the gadget is specific to some mission and not just deployed randomly to scoop up science. Something like that (pure speculation here) sounds more interesting to me than just building science landers and probes and sending them to every biome I can get to.

7 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Code I hope you obtained and checked legally, and are ready to link as a source.

As someone mentioned earlier, I cant link the code itself because yeah legal stuff. If you wish to do so yourself, there are resources out there and feel free to look. But to describe what we've seen, a lot of it seems to be for the heating up of colonies. In specific code for heating coming from the ground, fluids and air. We've also seen a bunch of little ties to heating in the code such as mentions in physics settings files and stuff like that. We've also seen debug tools for heating at the ESA event (and the debugger is still in code as well). 

Just now, FlazeTheDragon said:

Wait, so is science gonna be in the next update?

Also no sadly

Just now, FlazeTheDragon said:

Wait, so is science gonna be in the next update?

nope, no science, no thermal. This is an announcement of the announcement of the release date of the patch, when there will be new features is still unknown

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

I just saw a post from @Dakota flash by and disappear lmao. Not wanting to engage anyone but the praisers I guess.

I misunderstood @regex's previous comment so just went ahead and deleted it to not derail the thread. Always happy to engage with all members of our community - don't have much to add to this conversation right now past what we've (as a community team) said previously. 

Just now, Dakota said:

I misunderstood @regex's previous comment so just went ahead and deleted it to not rerail the thread. Always happy to engage with all members of our community - don't have much to add to this conversation right now past what we've (as a community team) said previously. 

Oh. Well, I hope I didn't like, make you all sad or something lol

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, regex said:

Oh. Well, I hope I didn't like, make you all sad or something lol

I just didn't see your additional context until after I posted! And nah - I appreciate your kind words towards the team. Members of the community like yourself have been pretty clear about their disappointment so far, and (speaking for myself) it's somewhat cathartic to see we're slowly improving sentiment. Maybe not changing minds, but building trust and bringing people back into the fold. Still work to be done, but feels good!

30 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

They can totally ship the graphical effects alone, or just a number that blows up a part and nothing else.

Well, I was surprised how absolutely beautiful the game was when my first craft was viciously consumed by the Kraken in orbit around Kerbin. None of the mods I have played or seen on YouTube in KSP1 have accomplished this kind of graphics. 

The dedication they are showing to science, makes me think that they really want to nail reentry, shock cone effects and reentry effects. I think deorbiting a complex craft is going to be absolutely glorious. 

Just now, schlosrat said:

On the contrary! I saw a very constructive post and praised it. You might want to scroll back and read it again.

It seems to me that constructive posts should be looked for in the thread about Suggestions and Development. In this topic, you must either praise the developers for the work done (and here we were told very little), or demand more.

Just now, Strawberry said:

As someone mentioned earlier, I cant link the code itself because yeah legal stuff. If you wish to do so yourself, there are resources out there and feel free to look. But to describe what we've seen, a lot of it seems to be for the heating up of colonies. In specific code for heating coming from the ground, fluids and air. We've also seen a bunch of little ties to heating in the code such as mentions in physics settings files and stuff like that. We've also seen debug tools for heating at the ESA event (and the debugger is still in code as well). 

Just the bit from colonies alone makes it look like it is completely unrelated to what's being discussed, even worse, it makes it look disjointed from other features like reentry heating, spacecraft heating, and so on.

Just now, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

Well, I was surprised how absolutely beautiful the game was when my first craft was viciously consumed by the Kraken in orbit around Kerbin. None of the mods I have played or seen on YouTube in KSP1 have accomplished this kind of graphics. 

The dedication they are showing to science, makes me think that they really want to nail reentry, shock cone effects and reentry effects. I think deorbiting a complex craft is going to be absolutely glorious. 

I'll take KSP1 with Parallax+TUFX+Eve+RVC any day over KSP2 (this is from reddit user TomZenoth1):

k5zl50cokgza1.png?width=1920&format=png&

r/KerbalSpaceProgram - One of my best KSP screenshots

From AvcalmQ:

0q2y86vqcfza1.png?width=4096&format=png&

From AtmosphericBeats:

r/KerbalSpaceProgram - Earth

1 minute ago, Dakota said:

And nah - I appreciate your kind words towards the team. Members of the community like yourself have been pretty clear about their disappointment so far, and (speaking for myself) it's somewhat cathartic to see we're slowly improving sentiment. Maybe not changing minds, but building trust and bringing people back into the fold. Still work to be done, but feels good!

I just want to make clear to you (and whoever else on the Intercept team is reading) that I am NOT disappointed in the game so far, I just don't have to couch my words in a ... diplomatic manner as part of my job. While it is possible to disappoint me with future updates, especially with poorly thought-out or tacked-on mechanics, I'm here for the long run. Who cares if I'm not booting up the game every day, that's not the point. I want to see what you people do with this game. It's a very promising, if bumpy, start.

9 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

Seeing the combo parts has me thinking. I think they said that science will be a bit different and that you're not just gonna go strap on a thermometer and run around picking up science points. Maybe what the difference will be that it's more mission focused? Like: Here's the cool science gadget, we need you to haul it to low Munar orbit for us. Then the gadget is specific to some mission and not just deployed randomly to scoop up science. Something like that (pure speculation here) sounds more interesting to me than just building science landers and probes and sending them to every biome I can get to.

I doubt the experiments will be planet specific, but it does seem like the combos are designed for a mission profile. This one seems designed for small space probes as all the parts on this craft don't really work well on the ground. I do hope we get a few higher concept parts that require more specific mission profiles (such as JIMO style high power experiments), but I would not mind if the bulk of the experiments are just stuff like "This one really only works while landed". 

28 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

I'll take KSP1 with Parallax+TUFX+Eve+RVC any day over KSP2 (this is from reddit user TomZenoth1):

Yes, and those screens are better than most, if not all, I have seen earlier. But this is close to ten years of game development and modding. Four years of a rather bumpy development process gave us KSP2 which is on par with the pictures you have shared.

Edited by Sylvi Fisthaug

2 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Just the bit from colonies alone makes it look like it is completely unrelated to what's being discussed, even worse, it makes it look disjointed from other features like reentry heating, spacecraft heating, and so on.

It's important to note that it's unclear if this code is just for colonies. It has the most ties to colonies, but there's some ties to things we think are normal parts. It probably applies to both systems as we know they both have a lot of code overlap. Personally, even if this is just for colonies I like this, I think heat would be a really good constraint for colony construction and its really nice to see that that scope is intended. Heating not just being "these parts add in x, these parts remove x", but instead a more in depth system that takes into account the environment more is great. 

I'm all for KSP2 becoming all it can be.  But  astroturf posts never achieve what the corporation thinks they will achieve.  They end up alienating people who are turned off by attempted  manipulation and the implied condescension.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  But if I'm right, you know who you are

Edited by darthgently

1 minute ago, Sylvi Fisthaug said:

But this is close to ten years of game development and modding.

But we live now, and not ten years from the start of development

Speaking of heating. It seems to me that the developers do not fully understand how supersonic movement through the atmosphere occurs. Plasma should not fly in front of the ship's bow at the same distance as on the sides. Plasma seems to be just an enlarged model of a part with a translucent flame texture.

vIowwyw.png

11 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

But we live now, and not ten years from the start of development

Speaking of heating. It seems to me that the developers do not fully understand how supersonic movement through the atmosphere occurs. Plasma should not fly in front of the ship's bow at the same distance as on the sides. Plasma seems to be just an enlarged model of a part with a translucent flame texture.

vIowwyw.png

Because that's not a WIP image at all right? Or would you rather see nothing then complain about that too?