Mohopeful

Nate Simpson

image.png

A fine May afternoon to you, fellow Kerbonauts!

I’ll start with a bit of good news: the v0.1.3.0 update will be dropping in June. We’ll announce an exact target date when we’re a little closer to the big day. We’ve already seen a few big bugs go down (you can throw a fairing away now in the VAB without endlessly redeploying its editor, for example), but I’m going to hold off on itemizing other fixes until they’re confirmed zapped by QA. Regardless, we’re feeling good about our progress in all areas and are confident that the next update will provide good performance, stability, and gameplay improvements.

In the meantime, our design and content teams continue to bring new parts to life. What they’re building now: grid fins! These were designed by Chris Adderley and brought to life by Alexander Martin (and Chris would like me to point out that the fin on the right is shown upside-down so that you can see the beautiful serration detail):

image.png

Our tech artist Jon Cioletti (with the help of graphics gurus Chris Mortonson and Phil Fortier) has pulled off the impressive feat of improving both polish and performance by overhauling the solar lens flare occlusion system. Lens flare occlusion (the scaling/disappearance of the sun’s lens flare when passing behind objects) no longer uses raycasts or colliders — now we’re literally counting pixels on the sun itself. The result: no more sun peeking through terrains or oceans, no more weird flare behavior behind vehicle parts, and the sun now shines correctly through visors, trusses, parachutes, and windows! Check it out:

In community highlight news: we’ve reviewed your capybaras and have found them variously cute, hilarious, and unsettling. For more capybara shenanigans, check out this roundup. Lookit this little fella from @Inyxia:

image.png

In other creative news, the last Dres-bound Weekly Challenge produced some very ambitious missions. We have very much enjoyed following your successes and near-successes. We know that flights of this complexity can anger the Kraken, especially in the game’s current state, and we salute those who push through regardless.

Check out this not-at-all-precariously-balanced lander by AVATAR Aang:

image.png

Or this cool rover hauler by GoldDragon:
image.png

Let’s see if we can rival these results with our next challenge: we’re going to Moho! Visiting the innermost planet of the Kerbolar System takes quite a lot of Delta-V, but if you’re up to it, you can try one of the following:

• Primary goal: do a Moho flyby and take some screenshots from orbit!
  • Stretch goal: land on Moho and return to Kerbin!
  • Jeb-level goal: land a Kerbal in the Mohole... and then return them to Kerbin!
  • Val-level goal: all of the above, but get your Moho intercept by using a gravity assist from Eve!

See you all next week, and happy flying!

This is amazing work!! I speak for everyone, including those who think this game will fail, that we appreciate all your guys’ work.

Hey, and while we’re in the topic of grid fins and booster reusability, may I ask if Falcon 9-like landing legs have been planned to be added yet? It would pair really well with that small grid fin part of the image. 

I’ll be eagerly but patiently waiting for the next update. See you guys on the next post!

If "next week" means "Friday", does "June" mean "June 30th"?

Do I understand correctly that nothing new will be added to the game in the patch? There was a feeling that if the news about the patch talks about the effect of heating or the reflection of light from objects, then this will appear in the patch. But now it is clear that if this is not said, then this will not happen.

8 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

will we expect to see grid fins in 1.3.0 at least

If you look at the news on previous patches, then ...

after a week is that all you can say? don't get me wrong, the game is complicated but why is it all taking so long? we are waiting a week for this announcement and the only thing that is said is that the update will come in june. I would have expected more information.

On May 12, Nate stated:

We expect to be able to communicate timing for the upcoming v0.1.3.0 update next week. 

And now, after waiting a whole week, we get:

28 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

I’ll start with a bit of good news: the v0.1.3.0 update will be dropping in June.

So, yeah, thanks for absolutely nothing, Nate.  You waited until nearly the last minute to give us an update stating sometime in the next 6 weeks we will get a patch.  This is after announcing you were slowing down the cadence to begin with, and is on top of the AMA's where you didn't really answer any of the real questions, but instead decided to shine us all on with half answers to cherry-picked questions.

My only regret at this point is having held out any hope over the last week that this announcement would be different.  That the mistakes Nate made with PA and HR wouldn't rear their ugly heads here.  I was wrong.  Different game, different company, same half truths trying to obscure the fact that the game isn't good and may never get fixed in a timely fashion.

If I could get a refund at this point, I'd gladly do so.  For me, the game is unplayable and I refuse to deal with the bugs that make it so.  Core functionality from KSP1 is either missing or broken here.  This game is not good, and I fail to see when it ever will be.

Guess it's back to KSP1 and other games in my library for the next month or so (which is on top of the several weeks I've already not been playing because the game is broken).  Let me know when the devs actually start doing something other than wasting our time with announcements that don't really announce anything.

Edited by Scarecrow71

3 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Next month?  That's disappointing. A fix for the broken-since-launch SOI trajectory displays/calculations would have been much appreciated. :( 

Yeah, I don't know how much louder we can be on this bug.  Reported since day 1, and we've been told only that they are working on it.  And that was over a month ago.  Guess all those new parts that they won't release any time soon are more importsnt.

Edited by Scarecrow71

Tbh I would much rather hot fix patches for important fixes like not being able to use fairings which imo is so common that I don't know how it was missed in QA. I feel like important fixes are being held back for fancier looking updates. Idk, I'm probably going to just move on, this was fun and gave a lot of excitement but after that update I'm kinda over it. Glad those who enjoy it enjoy it, truly jealous. 

1 minute ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Cant wait for the new parts even if its just 1!

Looks:

Regardless, we’re feeling good about our progress in all areas and are confident that the next update will provide good performance, stability, and gameplay improvements.

No parts in this patch