Dragging Along

Nate Simpson

1 hour ago, RaBDawG said:

More words.  5 MONTHS since launch and no Heating , No new substantial content(please spare me the 3 engines lol), NO science, and the game is still a hot mess big wise. 

It's been 3.5 months since launch, not 5.  Your math is just a bit off.  The rest of your statement is not, however.  No new content, no Science, and no updates on completion of the roadmap.  But Nate did tackle quite a few questions about bugs in his first post in this thread, and it looks like we are on track to get an update this month.  When, I don't know, so please spare me the lecture about how we are waiting patiently for nothing; it won't do anything to add to the conversation.

Speaking of which...you don't own the game, do you?  Have you actually played it, or are you just piling on without any actual experience of it yourself?

Edited by Scarecrow71

1 hour ago, Spicat said:

Why does everyone inflate the number of months since the game has been released? We’re not even 4 months in.

Same reason 'everyone' exaggerates how much something is happening.  To whit, from what I've seen there's one one person on the forum who routinely gets the time wrong, the person you replied to.  

It seems that little has changed in my absence. Fixes are being tested, they may work, they may not. They showed us the new engines, this is apparently something completely basic and should have been released back in February as the "core of the game". I hope someone makes colonies or all developers who know how to make parts do not too important parts?

On 6/2/2023 at 9:59 PM, Nate Simpson said:

This problem has been corrected. In fact, it’s been SO corrected that after we fixed it, we started to get messages from QA that aircraft felt too fast!

Hy, i have a question here about drag. You are saying that the problem is so fixed, spacecrafts and airplanes can fly too fast now, like it's a problem. How do you test this, with or without the heating effects? 

I'm curious because in KSP1, you can make planes, which can fly 1500-1700 m/s in low atmosphere (under 10km) with thermal effects turned off (too fast basicly), but WITH thermal effects, it's balanced, because over 1500 your plane starts to blow up from heating. 

Can you please leave it in the "too fast" state? The heating should correct the issue anyway right?

4 minutes ago, 000PainKiller000 said:

Hy, i have a question here about drag. You are saying that the problem is so fixed, spacecrafts and airplanes can fly too fast now, like it's a problem. How do you test this, with or without the heating effects? 

I'm curious because in KSP1, you can make planes, which can fly 1500-1700 m/s in low atmosphere (under 10km) with thermal effects turned off (too fast basicly), but WITH thermal effects, it's balanced, because over 1500 your plane starts to blow up from heating. 

Can you please leave it in the "too fast" state? The heating should correct the issue anyway right?

"Felt" too fast.

I.e. they were so used to draggy craft when they fixed it it seemed fast 

12 minutes ago, 000PainKiller000 said:

Drag is still there even without heating, the situation we're in with ksp2 is the same situation as ksp1 early development where there was a souposphere.

So it's not a problem with a hard speed limit but how planes behave.

8 hours ago, 000PainKiller000 said:

You don't need heating to know which speed is the "correct" one. You can approximate intended speeds mathematically to figure out if something is realistically going too fast or too slow. You'd need a normalized flight condition (indicated altitude, temperature and such), drag coefficient of the aircraft, thrust of the engine, weight of the airplane, and a couple of totally not simple integrations, but it can be done.

On the other hand, they can just guesstimate by trial and error, and we end with comically overpowered "jet" engines like in KSP1. Thermal effects shouldn't be used to "balance" aircraft or jet engine performance, they should have a basis on the physics system they built.

4 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

On the other hand, they can just guesstimate by trial and error, and we end with comically overpowered "jet" engines like in KSP1.

Not sure i agree with the comical term.  The SR 72 (which of the whiplash engine is based off)  can go at least mach 3.5 (~1200 m/s), the Skylon, which will use the S.A.B.R.E., analog of the R.A.P.I.E.R. , while not jet built, will aim for mach 5 (~1700 m/s) speeds in air breathing mode. I can see that compared to a commercial airplane, which usually goes just beyond mach 0.9, they are comical. But for me, this is just dream come true. I can build and fly planes, which i will never be able to ride irl. I'm having a fan girl reaction every time i reach speeds high like that.

Also to my knowledge, in real life, the limiting factor for thiese  supersonic planes was also heat, not engine performance. Titanium simply can't cope with temperature above mach 3.5-4 for long time, you need other materials.

This was literally the first thing i did in ksp2 after buying it, building a plane ssto, and was horrified when it had huge problems speeding past 350 m/s, when in ksp1 a similar plane whould have no problem. I was devestated. Of course leaving out any inline part fixed the problem, but then it was useless ssto lol.  I'm so excited about the next patch, i get here every day multiple times to check on it. 

5 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

You don't need heating to know which speed is the "correct" one.

We don't even know what correct means for them. Of course i don't want planes to be able to reach orbital speeds just on air breathing mode lol. Or have the same exploit like in old ksp1 where you put a lot of air intake on the craft. 

I just want to fly fast :sob:please? 

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Friendly reminder that it's Friday but the post if happens is most likely still over 12 hours from now. Don't lose your cool people, remember the timezones.

Jeeze, is it Friday already? It sometimes feels like a blink of the eye and time past by again. Wished it would go a bit slower sometimes. 

I really do hope we'll be getting a peak at what v 0.1.3.0 is going to entail besides bugfixes and performance gains since it's going to be around the corner and comming within the next few weeks. 

sigh

9 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Friendly reminder that it's Friday but the post if happens is most likely still over 12 hours from now. Don't lose your cool people, remember the timezones.

It's not even 9AM in Seattle .

51 minutes ago, Pat20999 said:

Oh, sorry I live far from that city.

Same. But I accidentally learned the difference between CET(me) and PT(Intercept and also few friends in California) so I know the time pretty accurately.

2 hours ago, RaBDawG said:

Only NINETY EIGHT LOL?

it's a great honor to have a developer for every three players. I think the developers can already start to personally get to know the players

13 hours ago, 000PainKiller000 said:

Not sure i agree with the comical term.  The SR 72 (which of the whiplash engine is based off)  can go at least mach 3.5 (~1200 m/s), the Skylon, which will use the S.A.B.R.E., analog of the R.A.P.I.E.R. , while not jet built, will aim for mach 5 (~1700 m/s) speeds in air breathing mode. I can see that compared to a commercial airplane, which usually goes just beyond mach 0.9, they are comical. But for me, this is just dream come true. I can build and fly planes, which i will never be able to ride irl. I'm having a fan girl reaction every time i reach speeds high like that.

You also need to compare the size and weight of the engines, drag the engines produce, the drag of the craft, the fuel consumption, the air density/temp those thrust values are produced at and such, and that's where you'll easily derive the (again) comical over-performance of KSP engines. This is even worse when you add realistic factors like operational/material limits.