KSP2 Early Access AMA - Live on Twitch!

Ghostii_Space

Banner_Ness_Steam.png

AMA - Art Director Kristina Ness

LIVE on KSPTV - 6/29 10am-11am PT We're hosting another KSP2 AMA!

This time we're inviting our Art Director Kristina Ness to answer all of your questions about the game's animations, visuals, and artistic design. Ness oversees the art team and ensures the work they do stays true to Kerbal. Submit your questions below! Don't miss out!

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-

Questions.

1. Why the change to Twitch instead of continuing to use Discord?
  2. Some planets have visuals that look great from space...but then are just simply flat and plain once you land.  Is any work being done to add some up-close depth and interest to the terrain?
  3. In some cases, the visuals in space aren't all that keen (see:  the rings on Dres, which I have screenshots to show they don't look that good).  Is any work being done to make these better?
  4. When we start talking about interstellar voyages, will we be able to see things such as nebulae, oort clouds, a type of kuiper belt (the Kerbal equivalent)?  What about comets, asteroids, or rogue planets?
  5. Someone's gonna ask so...procedural tanks?  I know the thought is to use procedural on those parts that Nate says are "samey"...but aren't fuel tanks all samey?  Like, why have a pile of different sized tanks to choose from when you can just have one tank and have it be procedural?
  6. Can you explain the decision to put the game on sale during EA when one of the major contentious points in the community was how much it was at launch, all while a large group of people who bought it at launch didn't refund?
Edited by Scarecrow71

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-

Questions.

1. Why the change to Twitch instead of continuing to use Discord?
  2. Some planets have visuals that look great from space...but then are just simply flat and plain once you land.  Is any work being done to add some up-close depth and interest to the terrain?
  3. In some cases, the visuals in space aren't all that keen (see:  the rings on Dres, which I have screenshots to show they don't look that good).  Is any work being done to make these better?
  4. When we start talking about interstellar voyages, will we be able to see things such as nebulae, oort clouds, a type of kuiper belt (the Kerbal equivalent)?  What about comets, asteroids, or rogue planets?
  • Twitch has better overall capabilities of moderation and even auto mod better than Discord if set up correctly... And the fact that Twitch saves VODS for like 14~"?" days for free or something like that, so someone doesn't have to waste storage/pc power, and it is "free" to get the AMA questions and is easier to write out the questions and answers overall compared to discord. overall for me, even I see the benefits.

Now, only if they used OBS Closed Captioning Plugin

as a free (not perfect) close captioning that is baked into the stream so people that are watching can perhaps watch with there eyes..

(it uses Google stuff)

AND, i think the best part is that there is custom wording that you can do, for example "players that use SSTO's have a hard time getting to LKO due to a drag bug" not a lot of people that are new are going to understand the "lingo" so you can make the auto close captioning say "players that use "single stage to orbit" have a hard time getting into "Low Kerbin Orbit" due to a drag bug..

For me personally, i would love to see if they want to try to implement it.. i used it and i love it, its easy to set up (about 30 minutes for a good professional job) and it works perfectly unless you have a heavy accent or talks then says the sentence you really wanted to say

my two questions..

when will we see clouds have multilayer etc on kerbin.. as a graphics option so players can just turn it on or off.. even if its not "the perfect kerbal" i would love to see an option to have thicker clouds/layers..

This will help the building and creating of weather in ksp 2 if ksp 2 doesn't ever get weather.

How is the implementation of areo effects/heating effects going to be shown to the players? when ksp 1 did heating effects or the "warning" that it was too hot for the part it just generally heat up the entire thing making it just "red".  Instead of doing proper heating based on how the part is getting affected by drag/edges/sides of a part based on previous posts we have been shown that parts are built on multiple layers of "images".. will this be a base to create "heat areas" such as edges/one side getting hotter than the other.. And will hot parts have "heat waves" to show that is hot etc.

i know this is part of like heat occlusion on sides, but i wonder how it is going to be built on either "per side" or the entire part... i would love to see the bottom of a build/rocket/edges being really hot while the other side is "ok".

In the most recent dev update, the science system is described as an "An all-new Science collection and transmission system." How does this system improve upon KSP1's science system?

In addition, there is a "A new Mission system that provides compelling player goals and tracks flight events to determine the achievement of those goals, along with the activation of the Mission Control building to access those functions." How does this system improve upon KSP1's contract system? Is it similar, albeit more adaptable? Is it required to do these missions, or can they be safely ignored?

In addition, there are new science parts planned. Could the team show some previews of some of these parts?

Finally, how does the planned tech tree and biome system plan to overcome the KSP1 problem of allowing players to complete the tech tree while still on Kerbin's moons? Is it through simply reducing the variance of biomes, reducing science output, or something else entirely? Does the team plan to overcome the fact that early career games in KSP1 frequently required scrounging science from buildings, and if so, how?

Edited by DunaManiac

Can you give us any details on what kinds of celestial bodies we'll expect to see in the other star systems that haven't been revealed yet? Like, for example, any hot Jupiter-type planets (maybe "Hot Jools?"), ice giants, or some very exotic-looking planets that could possibly exist somewhere out there (i.e. diamond planets)?

Are there plans for more variety for plane and rover parts? (Ex. Commercial style cockpits. More parts that look like they belong on a ground vehicle.)

Will there be more shape profiles for the basic rocket parts?

How difficult was it to unify the different art styles of the KSP1 parts?

Will we see a different but similar art style for future parts as the game development progresses?

Edited by shdwlrd
Couple more questions

4 minutes ago, BeastHunter said:

What is a higher priority: improving the graphics or optimizing the software? I hope for optimization before the focus shifts to better graphics.

game's animations, visuals, and artistic design

pretty sure they don't have control over that..... for their section (the graphics designers) don't have control over how fast or how many people get allocated to "optimizing the game". they have control over the artistic style and uniformity of the graphics of the game, they have almost NO hand at that.

it's like talking to a paint designer about a car's structural integrity in a car...

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Why the change to Twitch instead of continuing to use Discord?

More focus on video content and devs on camera. Less barrier to entry than Discord. Also on the technical side, it's easier logistically compared to using Discord Stages.

There will still be an #ama-discussion channel in the Discord and we'll take feedback there afterwards, as we did before. 

2 hours ago, Stephensan said:

game's animations, visuals, and artistic design

pretty sure they don't have control over that..... for their section (the graphics designers) don't have control over how fast or how many people get allocated to "optimizing the game". they have control over the artistic style and uniformity of the graphics of the game, they have almost NO hand at that.

it's like talking to a paint designer about a car's structural integrity in a car...

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

- What is the honest expectation of the team regarding the graphics enhancement we could get in, say, 2 years, till 1.0 for instance ? Is it a 25% more beautiful game ? 50% ? 100% ?

- What is the honest expectation of the team regarding the graphics performance improvement for the same duration ? Will it cost more with added enhancement ? Will it be optimized to compensate ? Will it be more optimized even with enhancement and run better on lower end rigs ?

- When will we have AA to deal with the massive stepping so far ? It's really really annoying.

- Can we expect some graphics settings to allow running on modern iGPU like 12-13th gen IRIS at 30 FPS 1080p with 50-100 parts craft ?

- Is there a risk / opportunity to get a complete graphics overhaul, using another engine or a major update or some newer tech ?

- Do the actual tech inside the game allow for modding to get better visuals ?

- Are you satisfied by the way the game look so far and / or are you looking forward the new enhancement ?

- Do you plan to fix the whole lightning that gives harsh light, harsh contours, harsh specular, etc ? Everything looks very oddly shiny, weird behaviour when facing the sun, silver-ish colours everywhere, it does not work and ruin the visual.

These are honest non-rethoric and non aggressive question, just to know about, to get answers :)

Edited by Dakitess

1. Is there a plan to add fine grained control MN tool on the side, that can use mouse scroll for input, like in KSP 1? I'm missing that feature badly.
  2. Will part manager stay or nay? (or something in between)
Edited by cocoscacao
added Q

We've seen amazing graphics in the Pre Alpha footage, once the upgrades to the graphics engine are done will the game look like that or even better?

Will modders get access to the tools you use to create planets?

Edited by Moritz Space

Question: Longtime players of KSP 1 know that throughout its development, rocket parts had varying levels of texel densities, styles, and mesh qualities, which resulted in community projects like Restock (spearheaded by @Nertea, who is now part of IG). KSP 2 is already following suit, with different numbers of faces on cylindrical parts of the same size, disparate texel densities, and different art qualities, such as the exterior of the Mk3 shuttle cockpit not matching the other Mk3 parts. In terms of texel densities, number of faces for cylinders/number of polygons for parts in a set, and color palettes, how does the the art department ensure a consistent look and feel for part sets so that another Restock isn't necessary, and will modders be provided with the art standards ?

Side note: A part quality standards guide would be immensely useful as part of a modding toolset.

A few questions here. First, are there going to be more FX other than re-entry and vapor cones such as wheel tracks, footprints, re-entry wearing, sparks, smoke, and other things? Also, will there be an option to color parachutes, change agency colors, and color Kerbal suits, along with more Kerbal suits? Will there be interiors in every commandable part (interactable interiors as well) and colony part so you can see Kerbals walking around and piloting? Will plumes react to the ground and change shape so they don't clip through the ground (as well as spacecraft)? Will there be a more advanced damage system? Thank you, just wanted to put this out there. 

On 6/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, Superpluto126 said:

What Kind of Stars can we expect in the Interstellar update, and are Brown Dwarfs being considered? 

Nice question, I am interested as well as to what other systems there will be. I hope there is a black hole or a pulsar.

1. Aside from KSP 1, are there any particular artists, films, or real-life space exploration missions that influenced your creative decisions? (love the way The Expanse and Enders Game look).

2. Could you share the process of creating concept art and how it evolves into the final game? 

3. Part textures play a crucial role in the visual realism and detail of spacecraft in the game. How did you approach the creation of textures for the various parts, and what techniques or considerations were used to ensure they reflect the materials and surfaces they represent, while also maintaining performance optimization?

4. How do you balance the needs of performance optimization with pushing the boundaries of visual fidelity in Kerbal Space Program 2? What were some of the technical considerations in achieving this balance?

Nothing but your friendly neighborhood moderator dropping in. However:

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Not everyone here agrees with how the development team handles patches or build updates on Kerbal Space Program 2. However, the forum guidelines apply equally to everyone. They are the rules that everyone - staff, forum members, and the moderation team must follow those guidelines to keep the forum an inviting place for everyone. With this in mind, please feel free to:

• Discuss performance issues affecting gameplay.
  • Discuss prioritization of bugs you feel need to be addressed in upcoming patches.
  • Discuss the future feature release and the roadmap from beta to the complete game.
  • Discuss issues you feel have been ignored by the development team or areas you think need to be better addressed.
  • Discuss any other issue with the game you feel is relevant in its current or future state.
  • Discuss the game's pricing at the first EA release, on sale, etc.

But you are not free to:

• Personally attack or make personal comments about others on this forum, including staff members with whom you disagree.
  • Personally make untrue or unfounded statements designed to troll or flamebait other forum users.

As a reminder, the forum guidelines apply to everyone on the forum and all forum threads, including official threads started by Intercept Games staff. We understand many of you are angry and have higher hopes for KSP2. You desired a bug-free or near-bug-free experience at Early Release. We know that, and we understand your frustration. However, the forum must remain welcoming for every forum member, not just one set holding a certain view of the game. Toleration for all - for staff, those who love the EA game, those who see its potential, and those who despise it- must be given.

Folks, it's me again. :mad:

Even more posts have been removed from this thread.

Please do not resort to personal attacks of forum members you disagree with, and do not resort to personal attacks or character attacks against Intercept Games staff/Kerbal Space Program 2 development staff. Again, I understand that many of you have very strong emotions about KSP2 - those who love the direction the game is heading and those who hate it. But we cannot allow either side, as members of the moderation team, to violate the forum guidelines and cause this forum to become a cesspool of toxic Internet waste.

Future posts on this thread that violate the forum guidelines may resort to more drastic moderation action taken than the usual practices. If you find a post concerning or you feel violates the forum guidelines, do not engage it, but report it. Allow the moderation team and the community managers to handle it - it's what we are here to do. We do not want to silence your ability to either protest or praise the ongoing development efforts of KSP2. Still, we will not allow those from either side of the debate to violate the forum guidelines freely.