Mirrored airbrakes not deploying correctly [Plus possible workarounds]

billyBobJoe

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.5GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM31.68 GB

Airbrakes sometimes deploy in the wrong direction. I found two different ways this can happen. If you launch a craft, return to VAB, and try to launch again some airbrakes will deploy the wrong way. Two workarounds to this are to 1) take the airbrakes off and put them back on, or 2) when in the VAB save and reload the craft. Another time the airbrakes deploy the wrong is when they are in a place where they act as control surfaces. If you take the attached craft and roll, one of the airbrakes will deploy the wrong way going through the craft.

Included Attachments:

954850_20230622132932_1.png.54a9bae76cae

whyworkspacesexist_____.json

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six core | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 | RAM32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

After putting the new airbrakes on one of my older crafts I noticed something strange when I deployed them: they weren't acting like they should. Instead of both of the mirrored airbrakes deploying into the airflow, one was instead deploying backwards "away" from the airflow. I thought that this bug had something to do with the old craft I put it on so I made a test plane. This plane was made on a new save and in a new workshop (new being the latest update v0.1.3). I played around with it a bit and in the first "launch" of the plane the airbrakes worked fine. I thought that maybe it was the old plane after all so I went back to the VAB to add an air intake (because I forgot it lol). After launching the plane a second time I noticed that the airbrakes weren't working anymore. So I tested a few things and eventually came to the conclusion that it was "reloading" the craft (aka going to back to vab and launching it again) that caused the bug.  I also noticed that the single airbrake of each mirrored pair that deployed correctly was the original airbrake that you place on the craft and the one deploying in the opposite direction was the mirrored partner of the original one.

Image 1: The test plane with two sets of airbrakes, the red ones being old ones that has already been launched one or more times, and the green ones being entirely new.
airbrakes_1.png

Image 2: The airbrakes deploying. One of the red ones deploy incorrectly whilst both the green ones deploy perfectly fine

Spoiler

airbrakes_2.png

Image 3: A better close-up of the bugged airbrake and how it deploys

Spoiler

airbrakes_3.png

Image 4: The plane with airbrakes deployed after reverting to the VAB and then launching again, doing nothing inbetween. Now, both the red and green pair has a bugged airbrake.

Spoiler

airbrakes4.png.03ec51e6089ed55548d372a4d

Edited by Anth12

When you use a pair of speed brakes, place them on both sides of the plane.

When opening it during flight, you will notice that one of the speed brakes is opening in the wrong direction. (For example, one should have been left and the other should have been right. However, it has been opened to the left at the same time).

This bug may not always be reproducible, sometimes it is normal, but it can be discovered by trying a few more times.

Included Attachments:

23.png.56fdc4996eabef37c0d30a330d1c6fd1.png

Edited by Anth12
Changed A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S to AIRBRAKES to make it easier to search.

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: Spacewarp and Atmoswitch + their dependancies. | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD 5600x | GPU: 3070 ti | RAM32gb 3200mhz DDR4

I cant explain this really well but on my plane the airbrake on the left is normal but the airbrake on the right is also facing left and deploys backwards and looks very cursed. I tried unintalling mods and it does the same thing. I have restarted KSP and it doesnt change anything. This would just be a visual bug but it also causes the aerodynamics to be off center when flying and caused some issues before.

Included Attachments:

2023-06-3021-53-10.mp4

Edited by Anth12

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...