How do I use spare parts?

I am using KSP1 with the dang it mod to break things randomly.

I have a space station in orbit which currently has a broken battery, comms aerial, fuel tank and payload bay motor. It also had insufficient power. No problem I think so I construct another ship which has loads of spare parts, loads of solar panels, an engineer and loads of EVA repair kits. When I go on EVA and attempt to repair anything either nothing happens (probably not carrying enough EVA repair kits) or it tells me "You need 1 spare part to repair this". The whole craft appears to be stuffed with spare parts so how do I use them? I don't appear to be able to get a Kerbal to carry a spare part; repair kits - yes, spare parts - no. Construction mode doesn't let me transfer spare parts to the broken module, Inspect gives me no information and repair just gives me an error message - so what am I missing?

4 minutes ago, jnbspace said:

I am using KSP1 with the dang it mod to break things randomly.

I have a space station in orbit which currently has a broken battery, comms aerial, fuel tank and payload bay motor. It also had insufficient power. No problem I think so I construct another ship which has loads of spare parts, loads of solar panels, an engineer and loads of EVA repair kits. When I go on EVA and attempt to repair anything either nothing happens (probably not carrying enough EVA repair kits) or it tells me "You need 1 spare part to repair this". The whole craft appears to be stuffed with spare parts so how do I use them? I don't appear to be able to get a Kerbal to carry a spare part; repair kits - yes, spare parts - no. Construction mode doesn't let me transfer spare parts to the broken module, Inspect gives me no information and repair just gives me an error message - so what am I missing?

First, I'm pretty sure the kerbal needs to be an engineer. Maybe not for simple repairs, but for build mode I think they have to be. As far as repairs, you first equip the repair kit of your kerbal, i.e., remove the parachute from the inventory and add 1-4 repair kits. Then if you EVA near the broken part, you can right click it and repair it if you have enough repair kits in the inventory.

For things like batteries, I don't think those can break in the standard game(?) so maybe the mod has different procedures. I would think you just go to build mode, install a new battery on the station, and remove the old broken one though. When you're in build mode, you need to have the container with the spare parts close enough that its inventory shows up in build mode, plus the kerbal needs to be close enough to where you're going to attach it on the station. I've found getting the kerbal, the broken craft, and the repair craft all close enough to be the biggest challenge in satellite repair missions.

All these things said, I've never used DangIt, so possibly there are different procedures required by that mod. It's worth checking out the mod page to see what it says.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.