Rover Kangaroo

For some reason my rover wants to make 20+ meter jumps once I accelerate past 30 m/s.  Anybody know why?

Here is a video:

Things I've already tried:

1. Changing Spring strength

2. Changing Damper strength

3. Changing Friction strength

4. Changing speed between 30 m/s and 90 m/s

Craft file:

craft file here

15 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

high speed makes boncing more likely, but in your case it seems the original issue could be some microclipping into the ground.

I don't know how it can be fixed, but I'd ascribe it to the peculiar shape of your rover. actually, i find it more amazing that your wheels do not explode

I sort of fixed the issue by rotating the wheels to be flat, but it still jumps when I'm going down a steep slope.  Could be microclipping, I still haven't solved it yet.

Also the wheels are rated up to 90m/s.  I can confirm that that is in fact a hard-set limit lol

57 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Also the wheels are rated up to 90m/s.  I can confirm that that is in fact a hard-set limit lol

when the rover starts bouncing, I broke them wheels at much lower speed. probably the mass of the rover also helps.

I sort of fixed the issue by rotating the wheels to be flat, but it still jumps when I'm going down a steep slope.  Could be microclipping, I still haven't solved it yet.

ah, makes sense. if the wheels were not flat and have issues with hitting the terrain at an angle. when you are going down a steep slope, your wheels are hitting the terrain at an angle, recreating the same conditions that caused it to bounce earlier.

2 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

when the rover starts bouncing, I broke them wheels at much lower speed. probably the mass of the rover also helps.

I've not had a tire pop on this rover yet even after circumnavigating Kerbin and Minmus.  Over 90m/s and the tires straight up disintegrate though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.