KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.4.0

Intercept Games

Just now, KerbolExplorer said:

That's a very small changelog, is this really the patch we've been waiting for the whole summer?

There’s some possibilities. Maybe these were bugs that really impacted gameplay and were hard to fix. Instead of low-hanging fruit they went after What Matters. Time will tell if that’s the case.

3 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

There’s some possibilities. Maybe these were bugs that really impacted gameplay and were hard to fix. Instead of low-hanging fruit they went after What Matters. Time will tell if that’s the case.

Also possible that developers have been moved on to non-bug fixing tasks, or even other projects.

Glad to see some fixes!

Can't deny my own feelings though, quite honestly, the orbital decay bug is what's kept me from wanting to try to engage with the game, and since it's not fixed, it's just back to biding my time with other projects for me!

11 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Also possible that developers have been moved on to non-bug fixing tasks, or even other projects.

Not other projects but other features. We are always looking for a balance between doing fixes for the next minor update vs future features such as heat, science and others. We are constantly looking at the top reported bugs and we try to fix as many of those as time and other priorities allow. 

well... for those saying this game is "totally unplayable". I just landed a mun base under the mun arch without quicksaves or bugs. it was just kinda weird to see the fairing drop straight down after deploying but, oh well. ..
And to the devs: props, great work! it was smooth sailing all the way.

EDIT: I also noticed these weird round payload structures, are those new? looks really useful to strut things to, but I wish I could attach them to decouplers.

Edited by gluckez
just extra

Just now, nestor said:

That is one of the ones next in the list to get fixed. 

that's great, but honestly, if it's just something cosmetic like that I don't mind at all. I think heating, wobbliness and science should be prioritized, but I guess that's not up to me xD. The game is perfectly playable as it is.

7 minutes ago, nestor said:

That is one of the ones next in the list to get fixed

While on the subject of fairings... is there any hope that the old system for making them via mouse move is gonna return? I really hate this new mechanic of dragging arrows.

37 minutes ago, nestor said:

Not other projects but other features. We are always looking for a balance between doing fixes for the next minor update vs future features such as heat, science and others.

All of us on the forum would really like to see these new features in action, and not just rare screenshots

2 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

As your resident patch historian, allow me to present the statistics for this:

Total items Community % of total
0.1.1 281 42 15%
0.1.2 173 36 21%
0.1.3 165 17 10%
0.1.4 81 9 11%

Patch 4 has less than half the number of fixes than the previous one did. Does this make it worse? Hard to say, since I would assume work on the orbital decay bug must have taken quite a lot of time and developer resources. Which is why the sheer number of fixes rarely gives the full picture of how much of an improvement a patch really is.

That being said, I have seen quite a few fixes for construction that will make my life a lot easier! Now to downloading it...

Fingers crossed things'll continue to get better :)

it makes sense that less and less bugs are getting fixed. you're not gonna add extra bugs to fix, and the ones that were done from the start were most likely the easiest ones to fix, so you could do more of them faster.
now it's probably harder bugs that aren't as easy to reproduce and fix. there's probably a lot of work that has been done towards optimizing the game as well, things that are important for the quality of the codebase
and future features.

2 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

As your resident patch historian, allow me to present the statistics for this:

Total items Community % of total
0.1.1 281 42 15%
0.1.2 173 36 21%
0.1.3 165 17 10%
0.1.4 81 9 11%

Patch 4 has less than half the number of fixes than the previous one did. Does this make it worse? Hard to say, since I would assume work on the orbital decay bug must have taken quite a lot of time and developer resources. Which is why the sheer number of fixes rarely gives the full picture of how much of an improvement a patch really is.

That being said, I have seen quite a few fixes for construction that will make my life a lot easier! Now to downloading it...

That are 700 fixes in total which is

117 fixes per month

3.7 fixes per day

I think that's quite good when you keep in mind that they're working on roadmap features in parallel.

30 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

While on the subject of fairings... is there any hope that the old system for making them via mouse move is gonna return? I really hate this new mechanic of dragging arrows.

You would have to convince @Nertea about it. 

46 minutes ago, nestor said:

That is one of the ones next in the list to get fixed. 

In 1.5, they’ll go up  instead and explode the ship. In 1.6, they’ll just straight explode and in 1.7 they’ll do what they’re supposed to do.

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

@Nertea I second this. The system of building fairing by dragging arrows is super clunky and slow. But.. don't redo the old system. Instead, make the fairing auto-size to cover the payload, so the rockets look nice.

Edited by Vl3d

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

@Nertea I second this. The system of building fairing by dragging arrows is super clumsy and slow. But.. don't redo the old system. Instead, make the fairing auto-size to cover the payload, so the rockets look nice.

I think the KSP1 system worked very well. It is intuitive, quick, and reliable. Why fix what ain't broken?

8 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

@Nertea I second this. The system of building fairing by dragging arrows is super clumsy and slow. But.. don't redo the old system. Instead, make the fairing auto-size to cover the payload, so the rockets look nice.

I can see some issues with this solution, for example, fairings sometimes are just used to make beautiful craft (with empty fairings).

Also, I disagree, I like the new system, it lets you make more accurate movements (In theory), while moving around the ship. It just needs some tweak to make it feels better, like for instance the arrow doesn't follow the mouse well, it's slower as if there was a max speed.

And there is an annoying bug where the "preview" fairing isn't exactly what you have at the end when you click to confirm it.

But if those get fixed, I'm sure the system is as viable and enjoyable than ksp1 fairings.

Edited by Spicat

Just now, Spicat said:

I can see some issues with this solution, for example, fairings sometimes are just used to make beautiful craft (with empty fairings).

Also, I disagree, I like the new system, it lets you make more accurate movements (In theory), while moving around the ship. It just needs some tweak to make it feels better, like for instance the arrow doesn't follow the mouse well, it's slower as if there was a max speed.

And there is an annoying bug where the "preview" fairing isn't exactly what you have at the end when you click to confirm it.

But if those get fixed, I'm sure the system is as viable and enjoyable than ksp1 fairings.

Auto-adjusting fairings should at least be an option.
Vote here:

Please don't return to KSP1 fairings. It's never possible to make a precise shape with them and replicating what you did once is nigh impossible.

The new UI is a bit clunky, and I agree that it takes longer, but I can build fairings with a lot more confidence when it comes to more special applications that require higher degree of precision.

1 minute ago, ShadowZone said:

Please don't return to KSP1 fairings. It's never possible to make a precise shape with them and replicating what you did once is nigh impossible.

The new UI is a bit clunky, and I agree that it takes longer, but I can build fairings with a lot more confidence when it comes to more special applications that require higher degree of precision.

100% agree. I also often had issues trying to figure out how big to make the fairings in KSP1 because I was unable to move the camera at the same time to try to get some 3d perspective of what I was doing.

3 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Improved orbits decaying when vessels are not applying any thrust

Sooo.... what exactly does "improved" mean in this context?

Is it actually fixed?  Is it just slower or only when not warping?  Or is there just one less step in the goat-sacrifice-saltcircle-seance-chanting procedure to ensure that it only happens some of the time maybe?

2 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

Sooo.... what exactly does "improved" mean in this context?

Is it actually fixed?  Is it just slower or only when not warping?  Or is there just one less step in the goat-sacrifice-saltcircle-seance-chanting procedure to ensure that it only happens some of the time maybe?

from rumors of discord, its worse overall and there is more decaying-related issues.