KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.4.0

Intercept Games

4 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

Sooo.... what exactly does "improved" mean in this context?

Is it actually fixed?  Is it just slower or only when not warping?  Or is there just one less step in the goat-sacrifice-saltcircle-seance-chanting procedure to ensure that it only happens some of the time maybe?

It means, iirc, that they have fixed some causes but not all of them

8 minutes ago, kdaviper said:

but also at the same time, people who didn't have the issues now have the issues, and the people who had the issue before say its more persistent and more frequent from what I'm seeing.. could be wrong however.

19 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

Sooo.... what exactly does "improved" mean in this context?

Is it actually fixed?  Is it just slower or only when not warping?  Or is there just one less step in the goat-sacrifice-saltcircle-seance-chanting procedure to ensure that it only happens some of the time maybe?

I recall from the last KERB post that they found one reason orbits were drifting and fixed it, but orbits are still drifting for a different, unknown reason.

16 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

from rumors of discord, its worse overall and there is more decaying-related issues.

Note that these are not mutually exclusive. If, for example, there's one factor pushing a vessel 0.1mm/s^2 retrograde, and one factor pushing a fessel 0.11mm/s^2 prograde, the vessel would drift 0.01mm/s^2 prograde. If the devs found the cause behind the 0.1mm/s^2 retrograde push and fixed it, vessels would now drift 0.11mm/s^2 instead of 0.01mm/s^2, or 11x as much.

This is a simple and exaggerated example, but in short, it is possible that there are two (or more) forces that partially cancel each other out, and fixing one root cause will make the overall effect worse until all causes are resolved.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

2 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

but also at the same time, people who didn't have the issues now have the issues, and the people who had the issue before say its more persistent and more frequent from what I'm seeing.. could be wrong however.

Oof, sucks to hear it. Orbit decay is one of those hard blockers for me trying the game again. Better luck next patch. 

45 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I put a probe in a 13 by 26 km orbit around the Mun and it immediately started to degrade rather quickly. So... yeah... that needs some work, still.

That's just realism.  If you try to orbit the real Moon and don't put your satellite in a specific orbit, the orbit decays quickly too!

4 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

That's just realism.  If you try to orbit the real Moon and don't put your satellite in a specific orbit, the orbit decays quickly too!

Maybe the problem is they accidentally implemented n-body physics?

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

from rumors of discord, its worse overall and there is more decaying-related issues.

Important to note, as far as I can tell only one guy on discord is claiming this. I'm not saying their necessarily lying, however the case they're claiming (literally every mission theyre doing is experiencing decay), if true, is almost certainly a unique case.

@Nertea just one quick yes or no question that wasn't addressed in the AMA, pretty please.

Will Ksp 2 introduce all variety of parts? Like, hydrogen tanks don't have all length/radius combinations. Same goes for cargo bays. Probably some other stuff as well...

Ooh! And round structural panels :)

Edited by cocoscacao

Fixed: Camera panning orientation does not update when toggling vehicle orientation modes in the VAB

Fixed: dates don't start on year 1 day 1

Added LODs to some KSC buildings

Added LODs to spotlight shadows at KSC

Fixed: error generated and failure to load when attempting to load a game with a crash-landed vessel

Those are small but stellar in my book.

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

100% agree. I also often had issues trying to figure out how big to make the fairings in KSP1 because I was unable to move the camera at the same time to try to get some 3d perspective of what I was doing.

You can move the camera to change your perspective while editing your fairing, which solves the issue of needing to see your payload from at least 2 angles in order to make a nice fitting custom fairing.

I guess I just have too much bias for an old familiar, well refined, ksp1 system that worked great for me all these years, lol. I suppose my mind will likely change when the new system is ironed out and functioning without bugs, then I'll be able to judge it fairly. I just really avoid using fairings atm but am excited to see ksp2's improvement regardless.

Do  ships still explode and/or or fly off at absurd velocities when docking/undocking? I didn't see that on the list, and that's probably the biggest game-breaker for me. It's also definitely related to at least some modes of the orbital decay bug swarm based on my experiments.

4 hours ago, Mutex said:

Maybe the problem is they accidentally implemented n-body physics?

They'd also have needed to implement mascons, afaik low lunar orbits decay - or rather,  their orbits get perturbed - because the Moon's gravity field is pretty lumpy vs the point mass approximation in keplerian physics, rather than because of perturbations from other bodies. 

Edited by RocketRockington

6 hours ago, nestor said:

Not other projects but other features. We are always looking for a balance between doing fixes for the next minor update vs future features such as heat, science and others. We are constantly looking at the top reported bugs and we try to fix as many of those as time and other priorities allow. 

What percentage of your sprint points would you say go to bug fixing vs new feature development?  

7 hours ago, gluckez said:

that's great, but honestly, if it's just something cosmetic like that I don't mind at all. I think heating, wobbliness and science should be prioritized, but I guess that's not up to me xD. The game is perfectly playable as it is.

Docking ports are still completely broken. So I wouldn’t say perfectly.

1 hour ago, RocketRockington said:

What percentage of your sprint points would you say go to bug fixing vs new feature development?  

Not Nestor but they did mention in dev tracker that the majority of dev time nowadays goes to new feature development, a percent would be interesting though

Edited by Strawberry

So the orbital decay isn't fixed, neither are the wobbly rockets, and the reentry heating effects that were just around the corner are... still around the corner. I hate to be pessimistic, but with this glacial pace of development, it's hard not to be.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde