Around the World Bossfight

Ok this is just a dumb idea I'll surprised if anyone can actually do this.

Objective:

Circumnavigate any body with atmosphere or on ground before the song Around the World by daft punk ends. No landing is needed and you can use any number of stages

additional rules:

Phys-warp only up to 4x speed

Short jumps are ok

no going underground and stuff

every engine is ok to use (including propellers and other motorized transportation)

Kraken drives and KAL glitches are a-ok

Try to stay in a straight line

ok bye

Edited by Watermel00n

Might try this challenge. I did some calculations about the difficulty of doing this for various bodies, and here are the results (in order of decreasing difficulty):

• Kerbol - This would be insanely hard, requiring tens of millions of m/s of delta-v and well over 5000Gs of acceleration. This is simply impossible to do without glitches (Kraken drives, KAL overclocking, drag/thermal occlusion glitches in order to not overheat... etc.). In addition, it would require insane piloting skills to not fly out of the solar system at 3.8 million m/s.
  • Jool -Much easier than Kerbol, though not easy at all. The task would require 700000 m/s of dV and 130Gs of downforce to stay near the surface. This is likely impossible to do without glitches.
  • Tylo - About as hard as Kerbin, Eve, and Laythe in terms of dV and downforce, but there's no atmosphere for magic wing use.
  • Eve, Kerbin, Laythe - All of these are about 10 times easier than Jool, in both dV and downforce. You would definitely want to use glitches for these ones, but it's getting easier.
  • Duna, Vall - About twice as easy as Kerbin or Laythe, in terms of dV. The downforce is manageable, but one should still use Kraken drives.
  • Mun, Eeloo, Moho - All of them require between 20 and 30 km/s of dV and between 4 and 5 Gs of downforce. This is very much possible without glitches, but would be a monumental challenge. This is what I'd call Stratzenblitz levels of difficulty.
  • Ike, Dres - Require around 15 km/s of dV and 2-3 Gs of downforce. This is possible with a big rocket.
  • Bop, Minmus - Require around 7 km/s of dV and about 1 G of downforce. This is possible with a small rocket, probably in a single stage.
  • Pol - Requires around 5 km/s of dV and about 1 G of downforce again. This is easily possible with a single stage.

And finally, the easiest of all: Gilly, requiring about 2.5 km/s of dV and about 0.5 Gs of downforce, so low that it's trivial to design a Gilly circumnavigator to go around the Moon in less than 7 minutes.

TLDR:

• Pretty much impossible: Kerbol, Jool
  • Kraken level: Eve, Tylo, Kerbin, Laythe
  • Semi-kraken difficulty: Duna, Vall
  • Stratzenblitz: Mun, Eeloo, Moho
  • Hard: Ike, Dres
  • Medium: Bop, Minmus
  • Easy: Gilly

Edit: I re-read the rules and realized only atmospheric bodies are allowed. In that case, this challenge is pretty much impossible without glitches.

Edited by Donmy Kerman

On 9/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, Donmy Kerman said:

Might try this challenge. I did some calculations about the difficulty of doing this for various bodies, and here are the results (in order of decreasing difficulty):

• Kerbol - This would be insanely hard, requiring tens of millions of m/s of delta-v and well over 5000Gs of acceleration. This is simply impossible to do without glitches (Kraken drives, KAL overclocking, drag/thermal occlusion glitches in order to not overheat... etc.). In addition, it would require insane piloting skills to not fly out of the solar system at 3.8 million m/s.
  • Jool -Much easier than Kerbol, though not easy at all. The task would require 700000 m/s of dV and 130Gs of downforce to stay near the surface. This is likely impossible to do without glitches.
  • Tylo - About as hard as Kerbin, Eve, and Laythe in terms of dV and downforce, but there's no atmosphere for magic wing use.
  • Eve, Kerbin, Laythe - All of these are about 10 times easier than Jool, in both dV and downforce. You would definitely want to use glitches for these ones, but it's getting easier.
  • Duna, Vall - About twice as easy as Kerbin or Laythe, in terms of dV. The downforce is manageable, but one should still use Kraken drives.
  • Mun, Eeloo, Moho - All of them require between 20 and 30 km/s of dV and between 4 and 5 Gs of downforce. This is very much possible without glitches, but would be a monumental challenge. This is what I'd call Stratzenblitz levels of difficulty.
  • Ike, Dres - Require around 15 km/s of dV and 2-3 Gs of downforce. This is possible with a big rocket.
  • Bop, Minmus - Require around 7 km/s of dV and about 1 G of downforce. This is possible with a small rocket, probably in a single stage.
  • Pol - Requires around 5 km/s of dV and about 1 G of downforce again. This is easily possible with a single stage.

And finally, the easiest of all: Gilly, requiring about 2.5 km/s of dV and about 0.5 Gs of downforce, so low that it's trivial to design a Gilly circumnavigator to go around the Moon in less than 7 minutes.

TLDR:

• Pretty much impossible: Kerbol, Jool
  • Kraken level: Eve, Tylo, Kerbin, Laythe
  • Semi-kraken difficulty: Duna, Vall
  • Stratzenblitz: Mun, Eeloo, Moho
  • Hard: Ike, Dres
  • Medium: Bop, Minmus
  • Easy: Gilly

Edit: I re-read the rules and realized only atmospheric bodies are allowed. In that case, this challenge is pretty much impossible without glitches.

If we use 4x most of the time and can fly up to 70km, so I have calculation that it is possible but crazy.  In this case we need 6000-14000 of delta V (depends on precision).

Speed should be 2616-2800 m/s and radial in thrust is about 0.1-1 of Gravity if you can handle it in 4x while flying.

Practically it means hours of practice and some calculations and possibly using KAL-1000 with premade settings.

I can give you my very unprecisious calculations of it's possibility if you need it

On 9/26/2023 at 2:41 AM, Alex Verb said:

If we use 4x most of the time and can fly up to 70km, so I have calculation that it is possible but crazy.  In this case we need 6000-14000 of delta V (depends on precision).

Speed should be 2616-2800 m/s and radial in thrust is about 0.1-1 of Gravity if you can handle it in 4x while flying.

Practically it means hours of practice and some calculations and possibly using KAL-1000 with premade settings.

I can give you my very unprecisious calculations of it's possibility if you need it

actually flying at eve in the upper atmosphere gives a period of about 21 minutes since eve is so insanely dense, that might be the best bet although the speed involved is rather high.

On 9/25/2023 at 11:41 AM, Alex Verb said:

I tried doing dome calculations on my own (with timewarp this time), and on Kerbin and Eve, it seems possible to just do a retrograde orbit just inside the atmosphere - no downforce needed.

However, this doesn't account for the time needed to get to orbital speeds, so downforce is likely still needed in practice.

16 hours ago, Donmy Kerman said:

I tried doing dome calculations on my own (with timewarp this time), and on Kerbin and Eve, it seems possible to just do a retrograde orbit just inside the atmosphere - no downforce needed.

However, this doesn't account for the time needed to get to orbital speeds, so downforce is likely still needed in practice.

The easiest way is just to go around any orbit in Eve by far. Just a large fuel tank with very low dry mass.

6 hours ago, Donmy Kerman said:

If I may, how exactly have you calculated the time needed to get up to orbital speed?

By taking time for acceleration (I've considered as linear). Do you need the full formula?

I didn't take in account the Kerbin daily rotation. So precision is not quite good.

Well, I think we also can just deorbit  as land start is not required for the challenge.

Edited by Alex Verb
Add conclusion

On 10/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, Alex Verb said:

By taking time for acceleration (I've considered as linear). Do you need the full formula?

I didn't take in account the Kerbin daily rotation. So precision is not quite good.

Well, I think we also can just deorbit  as land start is not required for the challenge.

You could use a hyperbolic trajectory if you wanted...

The trajectory would enter the atmosphere while burning downwards to stay within the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Donmy Kerman said:

How exactly would a hyperbolic trajectory not break the rules (you have to stay within atmosphere)?

Of course a lot of downwards force would be needed but who cares

• 5 weeks later...

I do not believe that this challenge is doable. But that’s my opinion - KSP players have done some incredible things. But here are my calculations:

Song length: 7:09=429 seconds

Duna’s (smallest atmospheric planet) length of equator is about 2010 km. 

So you will need to go about 4.6 km/s, which concidering that duna’s escape velocity is only about 1300 will be really difficult.

On kerbin it would have been 8km/s, which i think is straight up impossible because of atmospheric heating.

But the song is cool!

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, Donmy Kerman said:

You can use 4x physics warp, so you only ned to go around 2-3 km/s

Yeah nah I got JNSQ and that ruined my plans

WAIT

KSP 2 WAS MY CHANCE 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

image0.jpg?ex=65cfae5f&is=65bd395f&hm=8f

Edited by Wizard Kerbal