Should i buy KSP 2 or not ?

SpicyGun

Probably everyone here will tell you a straight no, but check the reviews (steam, youtube, 3rd party sites) - despite what people will tell you, the general opinion is mixed - and if that doesn't help, there's 2 hour long refund window, and see for yourself. You're already somewhat familiar with the first game so it's not like you'll be learning from scratch. 

Edited by The Aziz

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

Probably everyone here will tell you a straight no, but check the reviews (steam, youtube, 3rd party sites) - despite what people will tell you, the general opinion is mixed - and if that doesn't help, there's 2 hour long refund window, and see for yourself. You're already somewhat familiar with the first game so it's not like you'll be learning from scratch. 

thx a lot for your advice. It is just, i don't know if there are new features or additions then KSP 1. 

It's a sandbox with a bunch of new parts - few engines, tanks, structural bits and pieces, wings easier to work with, the fuel has been reworked completely (no more using liquid fuel for nuclear engine). The game world is prettier, more detailed.

It does have its share of bugs though, it's not a completely stable game as you would expect from an early prerelease version. And it's somewhat heavy on the hardware, the minimum specs are somewhere on this forum.

More are coming though, if you're confident you're going to play the game in the future no matter what, do it, if not and you're not sure if current feature set is enough, hold.

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

It's a sandbox with a bunch of new parts - few engines, tanks, structural bits and pieces, wings easier to work with, the fuel has been reworked completely (no more using liquid fuel for nuclear engine). The game world is prettier, more detailed.

It does have its share of bugs though, it's not a completely stable game as you would expect from an early prerelease version. And it's somewhat heavy on the hardware, the minimum specs are somewhere on this forum.

More are coming though, if you're confident you're going to play the game in the future no matter what, do it, if not and you're not sure if current feature set is enough, hold.

Thank you so much. 

I decided to give it a try. 

They will probably update it and full release it in future, so, then i already have it in my collection.

I'd definitely wait. I bought in day 1 and regret not refunding. I've gone back to KSP1. I agree with Aziz, check the steam reviews. I don't agree that they're mixed though. There are way more negative reviews and many of the positive reviews are critical of the game in it's current state. I'd suggest waiting for a few more bug fixes and science and then check the reviews again before buying.

On 9/28/2023 at 1:12 AM, SpicyGun said:

thank you

Just out of principle I would say refund and don't buy until completed.

This isn't an indie studio that should need early access funding. It's a major publisher studio.

Development is very slow. Very few updates given. Plus the state of the game is just a terrible.

I would say it's widely acknowledged KSP2 is no where even close to KSP1 yet, let alone introducing any new content that was promised.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:16 AM, SpicyGun said:

Hi all, 

I love KSP 1, and would like to buy KSP 2, but a lot of players/people told me not to. It is at this stage same as KSP 1. Also not a lot of updates...

Is it worth buying it, or do i just stick to KSP 1 ?

Thanks

At this stage, I *couldn't* in good conscience recommend the game to someone, I do own it and I have since release but it's too spartan on features right now to be a worthwhile purchase for someone. That said, the game does work, and performance isn't dreadful provided you've got a decent enough system. I'd hold off until at least the first milestone (Science/Progression) has been ticked off, and see where it stands at that point.

23 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

At this stage, I *couldn't* in good conscience recommend the game to someone, I do own it and I have since release but it's too spartan on features right now to be a worthwhile purchase for someone. That said, the game does work, and performance isn't dreadful provided you've got a decent enough system. I'd hold off until at least the first milestone (Science/Progression) has been ticked off, and see where it stands at that point.

thank you for your feedback.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:16 PM, SpicyGun said:

Hi all, 

I love KSP 1, and would like to buy KSP 2, but a lot of players/people told me not to. It is at this stage same as KSP 1. Also not a lot of updates...

Is it worth buying it, or do i just stick to KSP 1 ?

Thanks

Hi! If you consider 60 fps as the bottom line for playable and do not want to spend time dealing with bugs, then maybe no. I have seen countless people of this kind rushing to buy the game and ends up deciding not to play it for a while.

However, KSP2 is still in its Early Access stage, meaning that there are still a lot of bugs present and performance is not the best. If you can handle low frame rates and some bugs when doing complex missions, then maybe yes. I have played KSP2 and see it as a fun game with potential. So, if you are the second type of people, or willing to see the game getting better, I would recommend you to buy the game, ideally during a sale.

There is indeed a refund period of 2 hours, but I have heard some people unable to refund, so consider about yourself before deciding whether to buy it. Have fun and fly safe.

[Snip]

Edited by Alpha_star
Redacted by a moderator

The decision whether or not to buy boils down to a few things:

1. Can you afford the $50.  This is a legitimate question.  For some people (myself included), I'm not worried about the $50 or having to worry about whether or not that $50 spend is going to come back and haunt me.  If I'm worried about $50, then I've got bigger problems than just the cash.  But for some people, that $50 is a good amount of cash to have be expendable.  You need to decide if the cost isn't all that much.
  2. Are you able to wait for new content.  You'll be waiting for new content regardless of whether or not you purchase the game.  But can you have the game sit in your library untouched until the day comes when you get the content you are looking for (whether that be new parts, Science, Interstellar, Multiplayer, etc.).
  3. Are you ok with the amount of bugs, and are you willing to play through them until they get fixed.  This isn't so much of a detriment now as it was at launch as the developers have fixed some of the worst ones out there.  There are still bugs that exist, though, so don't think that there aren't any left.  But can you play through/with the ones that exist.

I personally cannot recommend this game to anyone right now.  I've got friends who have seen KSP and think it's a cool idea, and they want to know if they should pick up KSP2.  I tell them "I wouldn't".  Their answer is always "But dude, you bought it day 1; why shouldn't I pick this up".  To which I say "Ok, go buy it.  But I have KSP1 and was well versed in playing the game, so picking up the sequel - even in its buggy, ugly form - wasn't a stretch to learn.  You, on the other hand, have never played.  But go ahead and buy it and then shelve it until it's fixed."

My point here?  No, don't buy KSP2...yet.  Wait until it's a little more polished.  Until then, play KSP1 with mods (EVE, Parallax, KSRSS, MJ, KER, etc.).  The wait will be hard and probably long, but worth it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.