AZERTY keyboard layout is translated as QWERTY layout

Sans

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX5700XT 8GB | RAM: 16GB 3200 MHz

Severity: Medium (feature not working as expected)

Frequency: Always

Azerty keyboards are translated like qwerty keyboards. Some default keybinds (and also the hidden ones like Ctrl-A in the VAB) are therefore placed somewhere else and resetting it in the settings just print the qwerty key instead of the one pressed on the keyboard.

Example: [M] is the default keybind for Map View. On azerty keyboards, [M] don't work and you have to press [,].

Example: While resetting Map View keybind in the settings, pressing [M] on the azerty keyboard register [;]. Same for pitch, pressing [Z S] register [W S]

The screenshot given below shows Toggle Map View bind to [;], while I pressed [M] on the keyboard

Suggestion: Disable [Phyiscal Keys] option in Unity's input manager, if enabled.

Included Attachments:

pressingM.png.ae6ba06a153d8e4d46b5c8bb3d6811cb.png

Edited by The Space Peacock
forgot to set prefix; fixed

5 answers to this question

this has been bothering me since forever. thanks for making a report on it :)

also, to add to this: this also extends to shortcuts not listed in the settings. 'CRTL-A' in the VAB to pick up an assembly is done by pressing 'CRTL-Q' on an AZERTY keyboard. i feel like this should be noted somewhere, since it can be confusing for azerty users

Just now, The Space Peacock said:

this has been bothering me since forever. thanks for making a report on it :)

also, to add to this: this also extends to shortcuts not listed in the settings. 'CRTL-A' in the VAB to pick up an assembly is done by pressing 'CRTL-Q' on an AZERTY keyboard. i feel like this should be noted somewhere, since it can be confusing for azerty users

edited the bug report. thx for notifying.

Also yeah it's very bothering me too. I'm like pretty sure its just an option on Unity's Input manager.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win 10 | CPU: i5-11600 | GPU: 1060 GTX 6GB | RAM32GB

The key bindings that can be set in the Settings -> Input menu are ignoring the system's language.

Example: I have a keyboard with the QWERTZ-layout. In order to undo an action when constructing a vessel in the VAB, I use the Left Control Z binding. In the settings menu, however, the key binding is displayed as Left Control Y.

This applies to all key bindings. Changing the game's language had no effect.

Severity: low

Frequency: high (permanent)

How to Reproduce:

Use a keyboard with a different layout or change the system's language.

Go to the Input menu and rebind an action to either Z or Y (since these are swapped for QWERTZ vs QWERTY layout).

Inspect the displayed key binding.

Included Attachments: