Please, disable Physical Keys in Unity's input manager

Hey,

I filed this bug report but since its not really a bug, I post it here too.

Physical Keys is a feature of Unity that translate other keyboads layout as QWERTY International one, based on the physical layout of the keyboard.

Example: On an azerty keyboard, pressing [A] as an input, will be translated as [Q].

While most of world use QWERTY keyboard, some countries in europe are using AZERTY, or QWERTZ ones. This makes it very difficult, sometimes impossible, to use camera keybinds (on the numpad) and the hidden ones (for the VAB).

Ths is very frustrating as resetting the keybinds actually set the qwerty counterpart and not the actual key pressed. Moreover, I have to try and guess where is the keybind supposed to be

I never really understood why (or better yet, how) people use anything other than QWERTY (En-Us layout) as a default. Dealing with regular computer stuff, I know where all of the symbols are. Only when I'm writing messages, I switch layout to Cyrillic.

37 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

I never really understood why (or better yet, how) people use anything other than QWERTY (En-Us layout) as a default. Dealing with regular computer stuff, I know where all of the symbols are. Only when I'm writing messages, I switch layout to Cyrillic.

On azerty we can very easily type : é è | ç à ` £ ¤ €. Letters needed in French, Spanish and Italian

On qwerty that would be kind of... annoying

1 minute ago, Sans said:

On azerty we can very easily type : é è | ç à ` £ ¤ €. Letters needed in French, Spanish and Italian

On qwerty that would be kind of... annoying

Unrelated to the report at hand, but in Spanish the standard is qwerty, and in Latin America we use a Standard for the whole region that includes ç and ñ as physical keys, and changes the disposition of []{}¨Ç^*´ç`+ which are between P, Ñ and Enter and Shift. (Red circles aren't mine, some symbols may vary)

OrPOkSt.png

11 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Unrelated to the report at hand

Same thing different combination in Easter Europe. Some of the letters, such as ш and ђ are mapped to { and }. There are more, but I always find it easier to just alt + shift between layouts, even as I'm typing this. I don't even notice I'm doing it.

23 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Unrelated to the report at hand, but in Spanish the standard is qwerty, and in Latin America we use a Standard for the whole region that includes ç and ñ as physical keys, and changes the disposition of []{}¨Ç^*´ç`+ which are between P, Ñ and Enter and Shift. (Red circles aren't mine, some symbols may vary)

OrPOkSt.png

thx for the insight. I thought spain used azerty.

Dutch uses the digraph IJ extensively, but it's usually typed as two letters: IJ. If you have a Dutch (typewriter) keyboard, there's a separate key for it, together with a key for the trema (two dots above a vowel, like ë). When computers and their keyboards were expensive and the Dutch market was very small, practically no one cared about selling Dutch keyboards so entire generations grew up with the standard US layout. By the time technology advanced and equipping computers with a "national" keyboard became feasible, no one really wanted it anymore.

To the point where when you put a Dutchman or woman behind a Dutch keyboard they'll usually curse you because all the special characters are in the wrong place. But in most cases national layouts are just a matter of tradition and nothing is worse than using a keyboard with a different layout than everyone else (especially if it's just a few keys). So the French stick to AZERTY, the Germans stick to QWERTZ, because it's generally not beneficial to use an international layout; none of the keyboards you encounter are like that. And nowadays they can be mapped easily through software anyway.

On a side note, I think the German spelling reform to prefer an e instead of an umlaut (ueber instead of über) was fed by a need to make it easier to use international keyboards for those pesky umlauts and es-zets, but the legislative machine moves slow so by the time that was finalized you could easily add them on any computer anyway. But I wonder if some Germans on the forum can shine a light on that (out of curiosity).

17 hours ago, Kerbart said:

On a side note, I think the German spelling reform to prefer an e instead of an umlaut (ueber instead of über) was fed by a need to make it easier to use international keyboards for those pesky umlauts and es-zets, but the legislative machine moves slow so by the time that was finalized you could easily add them on any computer anyway. But I wonder if some Germans on the forum can shine a light on that (out of curiosity).

You can type the _e variant to replace an umlaut (ä/ö/Ü) and ss or sz for ß. But you pretty much never see that in german texts, pretty much only where input devices or fonts limit you to non-umlaut characters. I have not heard of any spelling reform with the goal to remove umlaute. There were some suggestions over the years, the last is from 2001, I think, but I have not heard of any reform being actively pursued. But maybe I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, dr.phees said:

You can type the _e variant to replace an umlaut (ä/There were some suggestions over the years, the last is from 2001, I think, but I have not heard of any reform being actively pursued. But maybe I'm wrong.

Ah, I thought they put thatone through. Didn’t realize it was only a concept. Lucky you, I didn’t keep up with the speelling reforms for Dutch after I left the country Apparently it’s simoler except when you didn’t grow up with it, hahaha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.