Incorrect "landed" status while in orbit causes trajectory to disappear in Map View

KerbalBK

Bug Report

This has happened to me, except I don't even see a Ap or Pe indicator when this happens. I'm on v0.1.4.1, no mods.

Nothing seems to fix this for my craft that is currently affected. I've tried going to the KSC, then back to the tracking station to take then control of my craft. I've tried saving and exiting out of the game entirely. And just going to tracking station and then back to craft.

I did some investigation and found some interesting things:

My save opens up straight to the craft in flight. If I go straight to the tracking station and back to controlling the craft, it continues to follow along its trajectory (even though I can't see what that is in map view). BUT if I go to the KSC and then back to the tracking station and take control of the craft, the craft heads straight downward towards Kerbin like all momentum was lost. This is repeatable. Either way I go to the tracking station (straight from flight or from KSC) the craft's state says "landed" in the tracking station.  It seems like, at least for me, the game believes the craft is landed and therefore is not showing a trajectory line.

In the screenshot example below I wasn't even in orbit yet, just suborbital:

fBiYiwY.png

I would like to be able to provide a save file, I'm just not sure how to do that.

98 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Was returning from Mun after landing and doing an EVA.  I took off and did a stage seperation in climb.  I dont know if that was relevant but after this i went to map and noticed there was no orbit / trajectory line for the craft I was flying.  I tried saving and reloading and this issue persisted all the way to the end of the mission.  I managed to get back to Kerbin after leaving Mun SOI by firing retro and watching the PE but I would not be able to get back if I was outside Kerbin SOI so it is quite game breaking in my opinion.  This is on the For Science! update of 19/12.

Included Attachments:

i have this upon launch. Before the update, i didnt have any problems. But its difficult to do the missions without it.

I did figure out that if i dont jettison my boosters prior to reaching orbit, this doesnt happen

Edited by Akureyri

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM48.0 GB

1) Landed a craft on the Mun

2) Went to Mission Control to clear out missions

3) Switched back to craft.

4) Took Off with no orbit lines or ability to create maneuver nodes

Included Attachments:

OS: windows 11 pro | CPU: intel -5, 12400F | GPU: intel arc A750 | RAM48GB

Severity: med- no workaround found yet, it is posible to play with ou the orbital lines, but is extremeley difficult

Frequency: Unknown- Problem still in effect, no workaround found yet

Description: Seemingly spontaneously, no special buttons were pressed, neither F2 or anything else, Just got into orbit, was about to start intercept with Mun, and was unable to do so as there were no orbital lines 

Included Attachments:

2023-12-2014-34-04.mkv

DxDiag.txt

Just ran into this myself. Loading a save game doesn't help, and exiting the game and loading the save doesn't help either.

I was able to go into the Tracking Station and click recover and it successfully recovered the craft, despite being in orbit.

How it occurred:

1) Built a brand new rocket in the VAB.

2) Pressed launch to go to the launch pad.

3) Launched the rocket and noticed I had no lines in the map when I went to circularize the orbit.

Like the one poster above mentioned I did stage my boosters before I had left the atmosphere but I can't confirm if that was the cause or not.

Edited by MechBFP

OS: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29/‎06/‎2022 OS build 19045.3803 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0 | CPU: CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Base speed: 3.40 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 4 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Driver version: 31.0.15.4633 Driver date: 06/12/2023 DirectX | RAMMemory 32.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Slots used: 4 of 4 Form factor: DIMM Hardware reserved: 4

Frequency: Low (not sure how to trigger it; can provide save file)

Severity: High (the lack of trajectory makes it impossible to create new maneuver node) 

Description: The game does not know my vessel is in flight, in space, orbiting Kerbin. The trajectory of my vessel is not showing, however the planets and other crafts still have white trajectory lines. The Experiment button on the left side of the screen shows my vessel's state: Kerbin/Landed/Water when I am in fact 127 KM above Kerbin, in orbit.

20231221012329_1.jpg?ex=6595fc77&is=6583

Additionally, this allows me to collect Science as if I was landed but at orbital speed, without having to worry about air friction or heating!

20231221011725_1.jpg?ex=6595f925&is=6583

Included Attachments:

almostorbit-landedbug.json

8 hours ago, Mushylog said:

OS: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29/‎06/‎2022 OS build 19045.3803 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0 | CPU: CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Base speed: 3.40 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 4 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Driver version: 31.0.15.4633 Driver date: 06/12/2023 DirectX | RAMMemory 32.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Slots used: 4 of 4 Form factor: DIMM Hardware reserved: 4

Frequency: Low (not sure how to trigger it; can provide save file)

Severity: High (the lack of trajectory makes it impossible to create new maneuver node) 

Description: The game does not know my vessel is in flight, in space, orbiting Kerbin. The trajectory of my vessel is not showing, however the planets and other crafts still have white trajectory lines. The Experiment button on the left side of the screen shows my vessel's state: Kerbin/Landed/Water when I am in fact 127 KM above Kerbin, in orbit.

20231221012329_1.jpg?ex=6595fc77&is=6583

Additionally, this allows me to collect Science as if I was landed but at orbital speed, without having to worry about air friction or heating!

20231221011725_1.jpg?ex=6595f925&is=6583

Included Attachments:

almostorbit-landedbug.json

A workaround for this bug was to... bring the vessel back! The crew survived, I launched the vessel again and it worked fine.

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700F 2.10 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti | RAM16 GB

Hello! I tried to land on the mun for the first time in ksp 2 and it went as well as it could but when I started my craft from the mun I got no nav lines so I'm flying completely blind. Turns out my game thinks I'm still landed on my the mun and I don't know why. the only thing i can think of is that i detached the bottom half of my craft because it had no fuel left while it was still landed and the game thinks it's still attached, so ether it's a bug with decoupler (td - 12 ) not decupeling corctly or bug with me leaving landed part on the mun.

Included Attachments:

MunLander.json

Test.meta

Test.json

19 hours ago, Spicat said:

@GradientOGames and @Abelinoss, do you have an orbit line still showing for your craft when this happened? (to check if it’s not related to the landed state bug (or splashed state in this case))

No, I believe the trajectory bug and the this bug are both related to the same issue where the game sometimes doesn't recognise that a vessel has left the surface.

You named two different bugs. The title is for the false ship situation causing the wrong science to be collectable. I have seen this only when reverting to the launch pad after being in orbit with science.

The other one is the reports that new science is available when indeed they are situations you have already turned in. Such an example is Kerbin Atmosphere, or Kerbin Low Orbit which you will keep stumbling in to. That is a separate bug and should be reported in a separate ticket. Part of this one is that the tool tip when you hover over the science button says that you can collect new science but in fact this is not always the case.

Another related issue is the fact that you can't delete experiments that have already been reported after collecting them again. The button to delete at the bottom has an optional toggle which should let you delete everything but that doesn't work either. Individual reports and samples can not be deleted either as there is no button to do so. All of this seems to be simple enough to fix as far as UI and allowable actions with each report. About the only thing that might take more work to fix is not indicating every time you have new science that isn't really new. That might require a plug into the science history if one wasn't implemented. It might have been and just not be connected properly.

When the wrong situation is reported (landed or splash down while in orbit), I found that there are no trajectory lines for the current craft. This means you cannot plot a maneuver either. I had to revert to the VAB to fix in this situation, but I was not far after launch anyway. After I realized reverting to the VAB instead of to launch seems to avoid this bug, I began doing just that every time.

1 hour ago, GradientOGames said:

No, I believe the trajectory bug and the this bug are both related to the same issue where the game sometimes doesn't recognise that a vessel has left the surface.

35 minutes ago, jclovis3 said:

When the wrong situation is reported (landed or splash down while in orbit), I found that there are no trajectory lines for the current craft.

thank you both! merging this report with the main landed state bug report

OS: TRSDOS | CPU: TRS-80 Model III | GPU: none | RAM52KB

Landed on Minmus and took off from surface.  Orbit missing in map and status shows landed in tracking station despite clearly being in orbit of Minmus.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K | GPU: 27G2G4 on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 | RAM65536 MBytes

What I expected?  Orbital lines to appear when I launch from the mun's surface.
What happened?  They did not appear.

How to recreate: Create a lander with two stages, designed to leave the lower stage on the surface and take the upper stage back into orbit, just like the real Apollo missions.  Stage the separator and engage the throttle and take it up to 25km.  The orbital lines never re-appear on the map.

I think this bug is being caused by the system not recognisingI took off, because there was a separator involved.  Therefore it doesn't turn the orbital lines back on.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT | RAM32768MB RAM

Title: After docking my craft in the Orbit of Mun, my Orbit lines disappeared. After leaving SOI of Mun, the research zone was showing to be Kerbin Mountains, even though I was evidently nowhere near those

Severity: Med - Couldn't fix this by reloading, had to cut my mission short. This has been a persistent bug since launch (Orbit lines that is)

Frequency: Med

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT | RAM16GB

Severity: Variable. Depending of the player experience and actual situation, this bug can be trivial or a hellscape.

Frequency: Once

Same as the first report. My lander take off from Minmus Monument crater and there are no orbital lines. I managed to get it in orbit manually anyway. Quicksaving and Quickloading doesn't help. Restarting the game doesn't help.

The game consider the vessel to be Landed and not orbiting/flying

77kvdIw.png

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Fast CPU | GPU: Fast CPU | RAMMuch Ram

Hello there,

it seems like there is still or again a bug regarding the Orbital Lines of a vessel.

This time around only the entry "Situation" was on "Landed" instead of "Orbiting".

Included Attachments:

autosave_1.json

OS: Windows | CPU: AMD Rysen 5 5600X | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM16gb

I built a fairly simple rocket starting with the starting pod then a science jr a fuel tank and a terrier engine. I added a parachute and landing legs, some batteries and solar pannels in roughly that order. That's what landed on Minimus.

The rocket didn't land upright it fell over, but I took Bill out and walked around a bit and it was fine. I got back in the rocket and fired it up but the orbital lines never showed up on the tracking station or map view. The science window also said that it was in a landed state the whole time. The camera was also not centered on the vessel. I tried to move around the screen but it was centered around a point above the rocket. Quiting to the main menu and reopening the save fixed that issue, but not the lines dissapearing.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 Home 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 | RAM128 GB DDR5-6000

I wanted to add this to another report but could not include attachments so please merge this report to https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/221540-incorrect-landed-status-while-in-orbit-causes-trajectory-to-disappear-in-map-view-and-shows-landed-for-the-available-experiment-ui/

I have a save file that you can 100% reproduce the bug from. Just load the quicksave and stage. There is a maneuver planned for an Eve intercept that may or may not have to do with it as the manuver requires you to burn off your metholox before staging and using hydrogen. When I performed the manuver in this way, the bug was avoided. However, if I staged off the metholox tanks before performing the manuver, the bug sets the ship in a landed state as seen in the tracking station and you lose the flight path.

Included Attachments:

BuggedSave.zip

OS: Win10 | CPU: i5 4590 | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM32gb DDR4

I was on a MUN mission. Lander was two stages. Once landed, my status changed to landed. I used a sm decoupler between the stages. After decoupling and heading back into orbit, the vehicle status remains "Landed". As a result, I get no orbital display in map view. Unfortunately that means Valentina will remain in a low MUN orbit until this bug get's squashed.

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800H | GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 | RAM32GB

Ignoring the invisible orbit lines of the target. It seems the approach/intersect marker is out of sync with the actual position of the craft itself

Included Attachments: