Mission: Under Pressure (land 10 Kerbals on Eve and return them to Kerbin) comes way too soon.

Nicely done! Yes it's annoying the sub-objectives aren't displayed. In KSP1 you would have got a objective completed for the landing part, so you know at least that part has been satisfied. I may borrow your ship design and give it a go later! I so far haven't been able to get one kerbal back into Eve's orbit yet. The detached parts don't seem to experience drag, so as I let go of my vector-powered boosters they would shoot ahead, only for me to collide with them about 10 seconds later. 

10 hours ago, jclovis3 said:

Hmm. Finished all of the research tree and all of the contracts except for Under Pressure. Now I fee under pressure to complete this.

I'll wait for a patch before consider it. 

Has anyone confirmed that this can be done with 1-3 Kerbals at a time?  if so is it possible to fly all 10 kerbals to orbit Eve, then launch another rocket with an Eve lander/ascender attached to it. Now as docking seems to be rather heavily bugged, meet the original Kerbal bus in eves orbit, EVA 3 kerbals across to the landing module, land on EVE, then launch from EVE meet with the EVE orbiter, rinse and repeat as long as you take 3 different kerbals each time, obviously this means a new Eve lander must be launch each time.

22 minutes ago, Xfuera said:

Has anyone confirmed that this can be done with 1-3 Kerbals at a time?  if so is it possible to fly all 10 kerbals to orbit Eve, then launch another rocket with an Eve lander/ascender attached to it. Now as docking seems to be rather heavily bugged, meet the original Kerbal bus in eves orbit, EVA 3 kerbals across to the landing module, land on EVE, then launch from EVE meet with the EVE orbiter, rinse and repeat as long as you take 3 different kerbals each time, obviously this means a new Eve lander must be launch each time.

Nope, all 10 Kerbals must be landed on the same craft at the same time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here, is my chonker and eve lander..  just about to set sail to eve, I did the lil chonker mission in this its nearly 400 tons, has 13 seats. here is the downside, I forgot to put parachutes on this, it has 25k ΔV not including the launch frame  which are 12 boosts and 4 mamooth-2 along with the 5 swerves on the main ship giving it a launch  27.4k ΔV.. It was so much I did a landing on Minmus, followed by a landing on Mun.. lastly because of said, lack of chutes, it landed in water on kerbin.. with  ΔV to spare..   Bill Kerbin was relieved.  So it does require 4th tech tier, but there are so many missions there was plenty of science and missions to do before Eve or Chonkers.

Screenshot-2024-01-28-191236.png

On 12/31/2023 at 2:46 PM, Jeq said:

Dart engines ar eves surface are only way to do it. But i rather wait until upper atmosphere heating bug is solved, there is no way to get anything into surface currently, even engines burns like paper at 85km altitude.

Heatshields are your friend.  I got my 10 kerbal lander to land on Eve. I think I might baaarely have enough to get into orbit with the correct throttle speeds and launch profile.  Circularization is really expensive. 

ZpHXle3.jpgUewfJ8j.jpguYso2kH.jpgYobabjb.jpg

6 hours ago, rogerawong said:

I think I might baaarely have enough to get into orbit with the correct throttle speeds and launch profile.  Circularization is really expensive. 

...and, NOPE.  Only got to 2604m/s. About 600dV short for getting to proper orbital velocity.   Back to the savegame!

Has anyone managed to put together a "normal" mission for this that doesn't include using the external seats to ditch mass, has that looks like a mostly normal rocket, and seems like a craft that 10 kerbals could reasonably spend several years in?

Obviously that's even harder without the inflatable heat shield working properly so you don't have the extra surface area, but I'm curious how close someone can get.

9 hours ago, Jeq said:

Heathshields doens't like my Eve entries.

My technique is to have one main heatshield, and then to place other heatshields around it tilted to form a convex  spherical profile.  That way, the craft has extra resistance against yaw, as the drag vectors of the spherical portions  want to straighten out the trajectory if the craft is not on a dead-on straight vector.

I tried to use inflatable heat shields for any purpose, and they just overheat rapidly and go poof.  So, I settled on the "soccer ball of heatshields" technique which is working for me. 

On 12/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, jclovis3 said:

Engines that can consume Eve's atmosphere

Like... what? What kind of engine could do that? The most likely candidate for Eve's atmosphere is iodine, which can make a strongly purple solid or gas. Iodine isn't exactly rocket fuel.

Maybe, if the atmosphere is hydrogen or something kind of like a gas giant, you could sort of have a 'reverse' jet engine: it takes in fuel from the atmosphere, but carries its own liquid oxidizer. But nothing like this exists in the real world, nor could it probably work.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:54 AM, negativeIQ said:

The detached parts don't seem to experience drag, so as I let go of my vector-powered boosters they would shoot ahead, only for me to collide with them about 10 seconds later. 

Super annoying. The way I found around this is to cruise near terminal velocity on Eve so that when I drop stages, my craft isn't experiencing too much more drag than the dropped stages.  I try to keep the TWR between 1.05 and 1.08 until after 20,000 m altitude. When I drop a stage, they maybe travel upwards 1 meter before my craft overtakes them. 

Being completely vertical so that they can drop without colliding with anything helps as well.  My latest Eve craft uses 12 vector boosters in six asparagus stages in the first ring, they're nearly touching, and they're able to drop without destroying anything.

rhQstwE.jpg

Edited by rogerawong

On 1/31/2024 at 8:23 PM, Kimera Industries said:

Like... what? What kind of engine could do that? The most likely candidate for Eve's atmosphere is iodine, which can make a strongly purple solid or gas. Iodine isn't exactly rocket fuel.

Maybe, if the atmosphere is hydrogen or something kind of like a gas giant, you could sort of have a 'reverse' jet engine: it takes in fuel from the atmosphere, but carries its own liquid oxidizer. But nothing like this exists in the real world, nor could it probably work.

Atmosphere Samples from Eve atmosphere (shallows) show that it contains:

• sulfuric acid gas - a strong oxidizer that enhances the combustion of other substances but does not burn itself. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/sulphuric-acid)
  • sulfur dioxide - forms when sulfur-containing fuel such as coal, petroleum oil or diesel is burned. Has oxygen so maybe it can be extracted and used for air breathing engines.
  • hydrogen iodine - Kind of useless unless you extract the hydrogen to combust with oxygen from the sulfur dioxide
  • water vapor - Another source of hydrogen and oxygen which only takes Ec to separate

On 2/2/2024 at 7:10 AM, jclovis3 said:

Atmosphere Samples from Eve atmosphere (shallows) show that it contains:

• sulfuric acid gas - a strong oxidizer that enhances the combustion of other substances but does not burn itself. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/sulphuric-acid)
  • sulfur dioxide - forms when sulfur-containing fuel such as coal, petroleum oil or diesel is burned. Has oxygen so maybe it can be extracted and used for air breathing engines.
  • hydrogen iodine - Kind of useless unless you extract the hydrogen to combust with oxygen from the sulfur dioxide
  • water vapor - Another source of hydrogen and oxygen which only takes Ec to separate

Yeah, but with most of these, you'd still have to have some sort of previous extraction process, not something easily done quite literally "on the fly."

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the "RULES" of this mission?

* like, lets say I get all of the kerbals down to eve, then get them back to low orbit around eve.

-- if I transfer them to some other ship, to return home, am I going to fail?

-- If send down some kind of ship, and get back to low orbit around eve, and then I DOCK a return ship to my kerbals pod, and that drives them home, am i going to fail?

-- Do they actually have to GO DOWN together?   maybe I can send down suicide landers until I get one that survives, and then parachute down kerbals and rover them to the return ship?

(maybe all thats really needed is "have 10 kerbals on eve, and then bring them to kerbin" ??)

like, what is the actual requirement?    what fails?

This mission is going to be extremely annoying, and Id like to not spend months of my time only to find out "sorry, thats against the rules, you fail"

THANKS!

On 3/5/2024 at 5:40 AM, CFTeague2 said:

Does anyone know the "RULES" of this mission?

* like, lets say I get all of the kerbals down to eve, then get them back to low orbit around eve.

-- if I transfer them to some other ship, to return home, am I going to fail?

-- If send down some kind of ship, and get back to low orbit around eve, and then I DOCK a return ship to my kerbals pod, and that drives them home, am i going to fail?

-- Do they actually have to GO DOWN together?   maybe I can send down suicide landers until I get one that survives, and then parachute down kerbals and rover them to the return ship?

(maybe all thats really needed is "have 10 kerbals on eve, and then bring them to kerbin" ??)

like, what is the actual requirement?    what fails?

This mission is going to be extremely annoying, and Id like to not spend months of my time only to find out "sorry, thats against the rules, you fail"

THANKS!

You could try, I also want to do this like an normal mission, manned ship for kerbals, an unmanned lander who I dock with, transfer kerbals, land lander, lander back to orbit and home. 
If mission fail you could just cheat it afterward as you did the mission in an harder but more realistic way. 

As I understand mission can fail even if the kerbals landed in the same ship on Eve and Kerbin. You obviosly need to dock the upper stage of your eve lander to an transport ship to return them to kerbin. 
One smart tricks I see is to dock with the upper stage then have parachutes on a strut and decople or undock this so you get parachutes to land on Kerbin. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.