Game places craft deep under Celestial Body/Planet surface after timewarp

king_shredder

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i5 | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 | RAM16GB

Severity: high

Frequency: high

Description: To recreate: Have a rover on the surface of eeloo. Time warp. Stop time warp. The rover is now inside eeloo on its way to Eeloo's core. See attached video. Also: Why is Valentina inside the vessel? I did not send her to Eeloo. A kill sphere inside the planet seems to be missing, but perhaps I am teleported below it.

Included Attachments:

Edited by Spicat

29 answers to this question

I had something very similar happen while testing a rover on Dres. After time warping while stationary on the surface, the rover teleported to a different place on Dres and ended up underground at the same time. I did record a video, but only after I was already underground (at this point I'm considering leaving recording running all the time). Wish I could be of more use, but I wasn't making saves since I was only doing testing, and I have a plethora of mods which could be causing all sorts of havoc.  Next time I'll try recreating the problem in vanilla.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24340MB) | RAM65480

When I try to fast forward to make sure that the lander is underneath the CSM's orbital path, it sinks into the Mun and tries climbing back to the surface. Not just that, but when inside the Mun, it acts like it is flying.

Video Evidence:

Included Attachments:

LanderGoingThroughtheMun_logs.zip

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: UKIT for KSP2, BebInEx, Micro Engineer, Maeuver Node Controller, Node Manager, Community Fixes, Flight Plan, Lux's Flames and Ornaments, Wayfarer's Wings | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 300X 12-Core processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM65536MB

As in the title, I've noticed that if I time warp while landed on Mun or Minmus, I will get a notification warning me that [vessel] is about to crash, after which the vessel disappers. When my pilot is on board the vessel, I can see it falls beneath the surface of the moon in question, and begins "orbiting" at between -5000 or -6000 meters.  If my pilot is on EVA while I time warp, the vessel still disappears but my kerbal stays exactly where I left them. I have experienced this bug with no expections - anytime I warp, the bug occurs, I have not yet succesfully time warped while landed without experiencing the bug.

Steps to replicate: Land a vessel on Mun or Minmus, and time warp. I haven't tried this on any other celestial body, including Kerbin, since the most recent update. 

In the attached save file, the vessel in question is "Cheesecake-12", which is landed at the Minmus Monument. It was built in the "Mission Minmus" workspace. It seperated from the command module "Cheesecake-11" which is in orbit around Minmus.

Extra information (possibly unrelated). On my first experience of this bug, I EVA'd the kerbal to do some science, and quicksaved. I opened the parts manager and clicked on "collect surface sample", however she planted a flag instead. I was then unable to perform the "Crew Report" science. I then time warped and experienced the Vessel is Crashing bug, and reloaded my quicksave, however this time science collection went as expected.

Included Attachments:

MissionMinmus.json

quicksave_29.json

quicksave_28.json

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7 9750H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM16 GB

I encountered this bug near Floating tock monument on Minmus. How to reproduce:

1. Land craft near floating rock, when science panel shows floating rock location
  2. Timewarp
  3. Observe bug

It happens also when you switch to tracking station and timewarp. But if you before switch to KSC bug will disappear and you'll able to timewarp without placing craft under surface

Included Attachments:

MinmusRockundersurfacebug.mp4

I did some more testing using the F8 surface teleport feature and I have visited every body in the kerbolar system (Except   Laythe. Too many oceans) and applied non-physical time warp on the surfaces. This bug also happens on 

• Moho
  • Gilly
  • Mun
  • Minmus
  • Ike (Got teleported *just* below the surface. There is really no handler for being out of bounds)

Every time, the vessel is in the "In Orbit around X" while falling to the core.  After Ike, the bug suddenly stopped happening. Even on bodies where it previously did occur. Then I switched to a vessel on Eeloo again, and the bug is still there. Very weird. I would conclude that the bug happens more reliably when one switches to a another vessel. The Vessel one currently focuses on can fix itself *eventually*.

Edited by king_shredder

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: Intel i9-10850k | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | RAM48GB Corsair Vengeance RGB

I'd like to start by stating that I first encountered this after the 0.2.1 update in my somewhat modded install. I have disabled all mods and tested in a new save and am able to recreate the issue, however I have not tested in a fresh install that has never been modded, will try and get to that when I have a chance. 

Background info:

I was sending a large ship (5 seat large cockpit, 4 lt-3 landing legs) to the Mun to search for discoverables. Whilst in low munar orbit (10ish km) anytime I reloaded a quicksave, the ship would break apart. If I put it into a higher orbit (at least like 20-25km) I could reload saves without issue, but every save whilst in an orbit lower than that resulting in RUD. This may be related or a separate bug. 

The Big Bug:

So after getting around this and landing the ship on the surface, I realized I had that kerbin was eclipsing the sun and so I timewarped until there was light, and upon returning to 1x timewarp My ship fell partway into the surface and was partially destroyed. I have since done a bit of testing and heres what I have found.

Steps to recreate:

1. Start new sandbox game.

2. Create a large vessel (it happens with smaller vehicles to but its easier to reproduce with this set up): Mk3-5 Cockatoo, LRW-375, S3-14400, SC-TT Labradoodle, 4x symmetry LT-3 Wallaby.

3. Launch Vessel. 

4. Teleport (or fly) to low munar orbit (10km reliably works for me)

5. Quicksave (F5) 

6. Reload quicksave (Hold F9). This should result in a RUD or losing a landing leg or some sort of destruction to the vehicle. I've also noticed a change in the orbit , such as being on a collision course with the mun after reloading.

7. Revert to launch

8. Teleport to the Mun's surface. (can be tricky to find flat ground, 4.282, 84.958 was the lat-long I used).

9. Increase timewarp above 1x, Higher levels seem to have more effect.

10. Set timewarp back to 1x. At this point your ship will either have partially fallen through the surface, or will be completely inside the planet. 

Notes:

I have thus far only tested the low orbit destruction in orbit of the mun. Needs more investigating.

I have tested falling through the surface on Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Ike, except for Kerbin, the problem is persistent across all celestial bodies tested. More testing needed.

I have tested smaller designs with different landing legs as well (1 seat lander can and medium legs on small fuel tank) and was able to recreate the behavior, although it seemed to be less likely to fall through the planet and more likely to bounce up really high.

I haven't looked into it to much and haven't tested much but from what I have seen so far it seems to have something to do with the weight of the vessel and the suspension of the vehicle (for the landing issue, no insights on the orbital issue other than could be related to orbital decay fix??). Waiting until the vessel is moving slightly downward due to soft suspension seems to increase frequency of smaller vessel falling rather than bouncing. Perhaps there is a tiny amount of velocity being calculated in timewarp (0.0005m/s) which would explain why higher levels of timewarp increase severity of the issue. Its a pretty major issue though and I'm not comfortable sending anything to land anywhere now in my main playthrough, which is unfortunate as I've put in over 250 hours since For Science came out. I will update when I have tested on a fresh install and have done more in-depth testing. If anyone has any other insights please chime in!

Included Attachments:

OS: Win 11 | CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 | RAM32 GB

When i timewarp on the Mun in accelerate and i press to get back to normal speed, the rover goes under the surface and just keeps falling until it reach the other end.

I tried to change the style of my rover several times thinking it might be some parts on it interfering with the surface, but nothing changes it.

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22024-02-0417-46-07.mp4

AutoSaveNocheatsfr!02_04_202417_15.json

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: Maneuver controller | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics | RAM16 GB

Any time warp speed at the surface of a body makes the ship jump some meters or clip thousands of kilometers through the ground when going back to x1 speed.

I assume this also happens in another bodies, but I only went to the moon by now.

This happens with any type of ship. Kerbals are excluded from this bug

Included Attachments:

Edited by Spicat

OS: Windows 10 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 | RAM16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

I have had it twice now. Once on Eelo and now on the Mun. I land a craft on the surface of the planet and then time warp. Often to make it day or night. Upon ending time warp the craft is pulled underground where it falls to the centre of the moon/planet.

The craft on Eelo was a rover, and the craft I landed on Mun was a small probe using small landing gear.

Additionally the wheels on my Eelo rover seemed to sink slightly. I was unsure if this was the same bug, or if this was to simulate snow on the planets surface.

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of this occurring. But will try to capture one next time this happens. It seemed to be very prominent on Eelo and happened every time. 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: intel core i5-10500 | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 | RAM16gb

After landing a lander on the mun, and time warping amount of time, reverting back to 1x speed glitches the lander through the muns surface at around 2000m/s

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | GPU: NIVIDIA GeForce RTX Ti | RAM16.0 GB 3200 MHz

my mun lander fell through surface shortly after landing while in time worp

Included Attachments:

Project01_02-28-2024_20-56-54-645.mp4

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7535HS | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2050  | RAM: 8GB

has happened multiple times across multiple saves for me on Apollo-style mun missions usually right after I finish time warping to get the Munar orbiter above the Lander.

It usually drops me instantly to around 51000 meters under the Mun's surface.

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | RAM32 GB

Severity: med

Frequency: low

Description: Landed on Minmus and wanted to warp till daylight for docking. When exiting timewarp the vessel immediately falls through the surface. (Craft earlier also had the problem where the trajectory lines disappeared because of a wrong landed status. Fixed through save editing. Not sure if relevant.)

Included Attachments:

Recording2024-03-03155809.mp4

MinmusBase.json

It doesn't need time warp to fall under the surface either. Driving along Tylo, sometimes my rover's wheels will end up under the collision mesh of the ground. Enabling/Disabling physics timewarp will sometimes put the vessel above the surface, sometimes it will make it fall to the core.

Additionally, I think there are collectible objects on the ground on multiple bodies as well that are missing most of their collision mesh as my rover will sometimes "hit" things and get deflected.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: K2-D2, Micro Engineer, Maeuver Node Controller, Node Manager, orbital survey. | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Rysen 9 5950X | GPU: 3070ti | RAM64 GB

In short landers can clip trough ground then you end time warp then landed. 

It was an lander of this design but on Moho landed near the orge rock but not inside orge rock biome. 
6XJBjYZ.jpg

On end of warp lander was underground and falling. Reload tried to move and happened again, tuning off mods did not help. 
Solution was to switch to mothership until it was in position for lander to burn to orbit and later intercept. 

This does not happen on Duna, did a lot of  time warps there because power issues (forgot batteries)

Back in 0.2.0 I had this a lot with the small landing legs on Mun and Minmus. It did not happen without legs like lander tipped over or legs retracted. 
I say its likely related to other legs / wheels on load issues. 

Included Attachments:

OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI | RAM16,0 GB

Documentation of bug:

Bug explination: 

This is a pretty simple one. When ever Time warp is used on a craft near a landed craft on Minmus - It will cause the other crafts to fall through the ground when time warp stops.

Included Attachments:

Fallthroughfloorbugpackage.zip