Jump to content

CommNext [v0.7.0 for KSP2 v0.2.0]


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, leonardfactory said:

Yes as @munix said this is re-implemented by this mod; anyway I didn't remember about the HG-5 being a relay, I could bring it back too

I realize that this mod re-introduces the idea of relays. My real point is that if an antenna is a relay in KSP 1, it should be a relay in this mod so that people who play both don't get confused by the difference in behavior.

Thanks for bringing this functionality back! BTW, are you planning to implement configurable occlusion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup I share that. What do you mean with configurable occlusion? In the Settings > Mods "CommNext" section you can already configure the occlusion factor (0 = no occlusion, 1 = 100% body radius). iirc it was kinda the same with KSP1; for example if you set it to 70% it will be more "tolerant" (think of atmospheric wave reflection)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, leonardfactory said:

Yup I share that. What do you mean with configurable occlusion? In the Settings > Mods "CommNext" section you can already configure the occlusion factor (0 = no occlusion, 1 = 100% body radius). iirc it was kinda the same with KSP1; for example if you set it to 70% it will be more "tolerant" (think of atmospheric wave reflection)

Ah - my bad. I didn't see that. Yes, that is what I was talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2024 at 5:09 PM, leonardfactory said:

Please, send some screen (comms report, map view before and after switching to the vessels) and the save game with infos about the vessel names which show issues; this way I’d be able to help you better

Not OP, but having the same issue. Here's a video of this -- it looks like my relays are initially shown as not having any power until I load into them, at which point the game recognizes they have power and enables them. Not sure if it's a KSP2 bug or a CommNext bug. Here's a onedrive link for a save file, but let me know if you prefer a different way to share it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Estelcontar said:

Not OP, but having the same issue. Here's a video of this -- it looks like my relays are initially shown as not having any power until I load into them, at which point the game recognizes they have power and enables them. Not sure if it's a KSP2 bug or a CommNext bug. Here's a onedrive link for a save file, but let me know if you prefer a different way to share it. 

Yes, I'm already working on it (see related GH issue: https://github.com/Kerbalight/CommNext/issues/13), unfortunately it seems like the:

  1. The bug is not consistent; I cannot reproduce it with the same savegame
  2. A speculative workaround didn't work, meaning someway vessels are stuck in a "No Power" status (meaning "No Control" in KSP2 status) until they are opened 

Thanks for the video anyway and the savegame; as you can see after loading it in my run it seems to run without issues (unfortunately.. this means I cannot debug it)

I've got some ideas anyway! Could you try to install Orbital Survey mod, and see if after that reloading a save does work? 
It is not related to CommNext, but I'm thinking it could be enabling some background processing which could "help" CommNext as a side effect. I'll do same test in my local environment.

Update: oh, lol, it seems without Orbital Survey I can reproduce it!
So the issue lies in me not enabling background processing for relays, let me see what I can do here.

F53zwgF.png

Edited by leonardfactory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently it appears that you can still have limited control of a vessel even if out of range - you can set SAS to any of the default points, use max throttle, and do part actions like science experiments, solar panel deployment and staging by right clicking the part and doing the action via the parts menu.

Is there a way to disable this and leave an unconnected vessel completely dead in the water so I'm not tempted to "cheat" when my probe is out of range? I didn't see an option for this in the mods menu.

Edited by RadioFreeKerbin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any capsule or probe has a range of 200Mm, but the communotron 16 and communotron 16-S antennas only have a range of 500Km. Shouldn't it be the other way around? As they stand now, communotron antennas are useless. Or I'm wrong? 500Km = 500,000 meters and 200Mm = 200,000,000 meters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Release v0.7.0

  • Add background EC processing for relays. Now HG-5, RA-2, RA-15 and RA-100 consume Electric Charge even in background. It also fixes the "No Power" bug on startup
  • Update vessel name in the comms report when it's modified in Tracking Station
  • Fix antennas ranges for command pods; now they're just 5km
  • Add back HG-5 as relay

Download on SpaceDock

3 hours ago, CSA said:

Any capsule or probe has a range of 200Mm, but the communotron 16 and communotron 16-S antennas only have a range of 500Km. Shouldn't it be the other way around? As they stand now, communotron antennas are useless. Or I'm wrong? 500Km = 500,000 meters and 200Mm = 200,000,000 meters.

Yup, this has been fixed in v0.7.0, now they are back to 5km

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2024 at 5:51 PM, RadioFreeKerbin said:

Currently it appears that you can still have limited control of a vessel even if out of range - you can set SAS to any of the default points, use max throttle, and do part actions like science experiments, solar panel deployment and staging by right clicking the part and doing the action via the parts menu.

Is there a way to disable this and leave an unconnected vessel completely dead in the water so I'm not tempted to "cheat" when my probe is out of range? I didn't see an option for this in the mods menu.

I'm reconsidering this since I've been asked the same thing on GitHub too (https://github.com/Kerbalight/CommNext/issues/33) and I forgot it was a CommNet setting in KSP1. I'll add it to the backlog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, unfortunately this mod seems to be breaking base game. I have installed it yesterday along with few other mods, I had a significant performance hit so I uninstalled every mod, and now my save game is not loading anymore. Below is the error I am getting in the log:

[ERR 18:30:11.518] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.PartComponentModule_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ComponentType', line 2696, position 158.
[ERR 18:30:11.520] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Module_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].BehaviourType', line 2697, position 145.
[ERR 18:30:11.522] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Module_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].ModuleType', line 2701, position 146.
[ERR 18:30:11.523] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Data_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].DataType', line 2702, position 142.
[ERR 18:30:11.527] [Serialization] Error resolving type specified in JSON 'CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Data_NextModulator, CommNext'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].DataObject.$type', line 2705, position 86.

 

 

--Edit: I confirm that this mod is the cause of breaking base game - I have reinstalled only this mod back, and I was able to load the game. I have removed all my vessels which had antennas on them, saved the game, then removed the mod, and the game is working again without the mod.

Edited by ojek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, leonardfactory said:

Release v0.7.0

  • Add background EC processing for relays. Now HG-5, RA-2, RA-15 and RA-100 consume Electric Charge even in background. It also fixes the "No Power" bug on startup
  • Update vessel name in the comms report when it's modified in Tracking Station
  • Fix antennas ranges for command pods; now they're just 5km
  • Add back HG-5 as relay

Download on SpaceDock

Yup, this has been fixed in v0.7.0, now they are back to 5km

Brilliant. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ojek said:

Hi, unfortunately this mod seems to be breaking base game. I have installed it yesterday along with few other mods, I had a significant performance hit so I uninstalled every mod, and now my save game is not loading anymore. Below is the error I am getting in the log:

[ERR 18:30:11.518] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.PartComponentModule_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ComponentType', line 2696, position 158.
[ERR 18:30:11.520] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Module_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].BehaviourType', line 2697, position 145.
[ERR 18:30:11.522] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Module_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].ModuleType', line 2701, position 146.
[ERR 18:30:11.523] [Serialization] Error converting value "CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Data_NextModulator, CommNext, Version=0.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" to type 'System.Type'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].DataType', line 2702, position 142.
[ERR 18:30:11.527] [Serialization] Error resolving type specified in JSON 'CommNext.Modules.Modulator.Data_NextModulator, CommNext'. Path 'Vessels[0].parts[2].PartModulesState[7].ModuleData[0].DataObject.$type', line 2705, position 86.

 

 

--Edit: I confirm that this mod is the cause of breaking base game - I have reinstalled only this mod back, and I was able to load the game. I have removed all my vessels which had antennas on them, saved the game, then removed the mod, and the game is working again without the mod.

With “it’s breaking base game” you mean that after using it, the base game cannot handle the vessels?

This seems pretty much normal with every mod that modifies stock parts, like this mod. I’ll check if there’s something we can do in the Discord, but I’m afraid that at least for now - this is completely expected. 

@CSA Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a way to remove the effected vessels from the save game? 

I saw on the discord somewhere among the multitude of discussions there is a save game editor.
I do not know if it has the ability to delete vessels or is only for refuel purposes.


Something like this from KSP1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mmhh .... i playing with this mod and WheresMyCrewCapsule ... and this combo give me a hard time ... as crewed spaceships not available ... and remote control very range and LOS restricted ....

It would be easyer if relais communication parts and longer range parts would be available more early .....

 

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, R-TEAM said:

mmhh .... i playing with this mod and WheresMyCrewCapsule ... and this combo give me a hard time ... as crewed spaceships not available ... and remote control very range and LOS restricted ....

It would be easyer if relais communication parts and longer range parts would be available more early .....

 

Regards

Started a WMCC playthrough and lose partial control around 20km.

 

All com next setting max & have prob signal required turned off.

 

Loving this so muxh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2024 at 12:13 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

Started a WMCC playthrough and lose partial control around 20km.

 

All com next setting max & have prob signal required turned off.

 

Loving this so muxh

This is not a solution ... it is a simply hint to disable mostly CommNext and make the install of the mod questionable ....

Can i get an serious answer if a addaption to WMCC planed ?

 

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, R-TEAM said:

This is not a solution ... it is a simply hint to disable mostly CommNext and make the install of the mod questionable ....

Can i get an serious answer if a addaption to WMCC planed ?

 

Regards

Actually... reread  your post

On 3/7/2024 at 2:57 AM, R-TEAM said:

mmhh .... i playing with this mod and WheresMyCrewCapsule ... and this combo give me a hard time ... as crewed spaceships not available ... and remote control very range and LOS restricted ....

It would be easyer if relais communication parts and longer range parts would be available more early .....

 

Regards

No real question in there at all.

I was attending to offer advice on how I was able to play WMCC with commnext

I did exactly what I said until I had satellites in orbit around kerbin.

After that I returned the setting to default and have not had any issues.

 

Maybe reword it a bit nicer and ping one of the authors with that question. Since there is an actual question this time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome mod!

Does the range scale with the  2.5x Kerbolar System ? If not, is it still playable or is there a way to manually change the values?

//Edit:  It does not scale automatically. Config file is located in BepInEx\plugins\CommNext\patches\libraries\_constants.patch. Open it with any text editor and change or replace the values and save. 

I'll put my config file until a proper config for the x2.5 Kerbolar System is added. (might not be balanced)

// 2.5x  rescale for 2.5x Kerbolar System

// -Relays 
// Was 36G, stock 2G, 2.5x  rescale Kerbol 5G
$commnext-RANGE-RA2: 5000000000.00;
$commnext-EC-RA2: 0.5;
// Was 86G, stock 15G, 2.5x  rescale Kerbol 37G
$commnext-RANGE-RA15: 37500000000.00;
$commnext-EC-RA15: 1.0;
// Was 130G, stock 100G, 2.5x  rescale Kerbol 250G
$commnext-RANGE-RA100: 250000000000.00;
$commnext-EC-RA100: 2.0;
// Stock HG-5 has 200000000.0 (200M), stock 5G, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 37G
$commnext-RANGE-HG5: 12500000.00;
$commnext-EC-HG5: 0.2;

// -Antennas
// Stock command pod has 200000000.0 (200M) range. stock 5k, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 12k
$commnext-RANGE-POD: 12500.00;
// Stock 16 has 200000000.0 (200M) range. stock 500k, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 1.2M
$commnext-RANGE-C16: 1250000.00;
// Stock 16S has 200000000.0 (200M) range. stock 500k, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 1.2M
$commnext-RANGE-C16S: 1250000.00;
// Stock DTS-M1 has 36000000000.0 (36G) range. stock 2G, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 5G
$commnext-RANGE-DTS-M1: 5000000000.00;
// Stock HG-55 has 86000000000.0 (86G) range. stock 15G, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 37G
$commnext-RANGE-HG55: 37500000000.00;
// Stock C-88 has 130000000000.0 (130G) range. stock 100G, 2.5x rescale Kerbol 250G
$commnext-RANGE-C88: 250000000000.00;

 

Edited by px4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love this mod. It is part of my 'must' list.

I am sure you already have plenty of work but it would be great to have additional com stations on Kerbin.

Even with the colonies update, it would be useful because adding colonies to Kerbin won't be possible easily / early in game.

I use a kestionnay sat as the closest relay to increase access to KSC. But it is hard to really keep the sat on track after long warps due to interplanitary travels.

Having the com range of the KSC evolves with com technologies would be great too. It would make sense, it would avoid that tiny sat outperforms KSC and it would let players focus on a smaller number of critical relays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found some mistake in polish translation: in vessel comms report there are some Russian letters instead of who knows. And the same with translation of Omni band switch in RA-100.

Edited by Kalessin1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got this mod so I may be missing something... but my vessel is losing contact with KSC right after launch. 

It has the 500k antenna, but KSC should have enough strength so that I can control in kerbin orbit, right?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, snufflypanda said:

I just got this mod so I may be missing something... but my vessel is losing contact with KSC right after launch. 

It has the 500k antenna, but KSC should have enough strength so that I can control in kerbin orbit, right?
 

Make sure the signal is not blocked by Kerbin, you need a clear line of sight to KSC or a relay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing! Would it be possible to add a config to allow certain antennas to be set as relays or not? I've got an extensive CommNet already up in KSP2 but they're made with Communitron 88-88s which aren't considered relays. I'd opt to just stick with the new CommNet system, but I do prefer the line of sight aspect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...