Colonies Sneakpeeks

Dakota

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now I could easy see hydrolox engines. High ISP but lower trust than metanox. It has the benefit that it drain from the mothership fuel tanks rater than dedicated lander tanks as you always bring to little or much of that. 

Do I have some (very old) news for you 

20 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Do I have some (very old) news for you 

Yes know about the hybrid engine, now I say oxygen injection and nozzle extension should be independent. 
I see I use this with oxygen at the start of an long burn from a high gravity world. Kind of how I uses the core of the launcher for the initial kick for interplanetary missions. 
And to retract the nozzle for landings. Now with radiation, landing on nuclear engines is probably not practical but this is relevant for deep space chemical engines too. 

I was thinking more of an hydrolox version of especially the terrier for landers, but you has to bring the extra oxygen anyway so kind of pointless as its most of the weight and an limited resource just for the lander. 

@magnemoe's last comment, reminding me about the likely dangers of irradiating colonies if using nuke-related engines in their neighborhoods when landing or departing, made me realize one possibly challenging thing with ground-based colonies... ALL of your landings would need to be hyper-accurate, both to avoid smashing into / burning things that aren't rated for engine exhaust as well as just to actually "connect" to the colony (for refueling / resource-transfer); hopefully an 'easier' way of doing this (Trajectory mod-style?) finds its way into the stock-game?

5 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

@magnemoe's last comment, reminding me about the likely dangers of irradiating colonies if using nuke-related engines in their neighborhoods when landing or departing, made me realize one possibly challenging thing with ground-based colonies... ALL of your landings would need to be hyper-accurate, both to avoid smashing into / burning things that aren't rated for engine exhaust as well as just to actually "connect" to the colony (for refueling / resource-transfer); hopefully an 'easier' way of doing this (Trajectory mod-style?) finds its way into the stock-game?

Well I tend to put wheels on my landers anyways. 
Standard class 2 lander at Ike. Works on Moho and Duna and lower gravity bodies. Duna version has parachutes. 
Okrmezy.jpg

To standard bases in KSP 1, +50 ton dry mass. 
nxD7A2V.png

Not the thing you take on an road trip but you could drive up to stuff and refuel them. Greenhouse, fuel production and small part manufacturing. 

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

you could drive up to stuff and refuel them

That will be a lot easier if there are robotic parts (I was a fan of 'wildly-articulating/controllable' arms for grabber-units / docking ported-arms to be able to more flexibly attach a rover to a landed ferry-craft)...

Also, you might then need to make sure you have ramps from ground-level up to the 'top' of your launching/landing pad if you intended to have your landers roll back 'into' the colony, but that's just speculation until we see/know more about colonies.

15 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

That will be a lot easier if there are robotic parts (I was a fan of 'wildly-articulating/controllable' arms for grabber-units / docking ported-arms to be able to more flexibly attach a rover to a landed ferry-craft)...

Also, you might then need to make sure you have ramps from ground-level up to the 'top' of your launching/landing pad if you intended to have your landers roll back 'into' the colony, but that's just speculation until we see/know more about colonies.

Not sure how this will work for ground colonies. I assume you have to arrive at some sort of landing pad either landing directly or driving up to on a ramp. 
In space you will need to dock who can be an challenge with an large craft and station. but this is not needed on the ground as landed on landing pad would be enough to move resources.

We could do with some kind of landing mode. This could have a visual indicators for projected landing sight, craft direction of travel, horizontal & vertical velocities. Could also maybe have more SAS options like east west & degrees of tilt from pointing up. Just in general more information and control options.

Had a similar idea in KSP1.   Big tanks - drills - refinery  - on wheels - to roll up to craft, connect with the extendable grabber and refuel.

I was a cheap SOB and sent the rockets to the pad empty.   (please disregard the cost of the refueler itself and the blacked out line item in last years budget)

G4DQ7wc.png

Edited by DaveLChgo

I love the gravity rings, great work with those. However, I'm conflicted over many parts' boxy appearance. If it's holding resources or something I would much prefer spherical storage. And if it's kerbal storage I want to stick to cylindrical parts. I don't mind, but it goes slightly against the kerbal aesthetic for me.

Also- what will differentiate between an orbital colony and a space station? They are functionally the same to me.

On 3/20/2024 at 11:40 AM, Infinite deaths said:

We could do with some kind of landing mode. This could have a visual indicators for projected landing sight, craft direction of travel, horizontal & vertical velocities. Could also maybe have more SAS options like east west & degrees of tilt from pointing up. Just in general more information and control options.

Mechjeb has an trajectory tool who show estimated trajectory also after an node. It even works in atmosphere but is obviously less accurate here and depend on orientation but still very useful more so if you have experience with craft. It also an independent trajectory mod for KSP 1. 

9 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

Also- what will differentiate between an orbital colony and a space station? They are functionally the same to me.

Only time will tell, but I expect the key difference will be 'automated supply routes' (eventually) and the fact that you can build (and probably edit?) craft/base-expansions on-orbit, without needing to launch them from the KSC to rendez-vous with the station.

11 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

I love the gravity rings, great work with those. However, I'm conflicted over many parts' boxy appearance. If it's holding resources or something I would much prefer spherical storage. And if it's kerbal storage I want to stick to cylindrical parts. I don't mind, but it goes slightly against the kerbal aesthetic for me.

I think colony will be used to describe an assembly that has population-dependant mechanics 

Will we be able to build these and send them up from kerbin and assemble in space or do we just "buy" them as-is and they just appear in space?
I don't see docking ports connecting the pieces and I am pretty sure it would not be easy to fly them up whole.

The more I contemplate this, the more nervous I get. 

are colonies designed to primarily be large space stations? Or are you giving ground colonies some love too? 

I would love love some sneak peaks at a ground based operation. Ground based activities need so so much more love than it currently stands. 

id love to setup a ground base, and it actually have a reason to exist. 

45 minutes ago, Icegrx said:

The more I contemplate this, the more nervous I get. 

are colonies designed to primarily be large space stations? Or are you giving ground colonies some love too? 

I would love love some sneak peaks at a ground based operation. Ground based activities need so so much more love than it currently stands. 

id love to setup a ground base, and it actually have a reason to exist. 

As far as we’ve been told, orbital and surface colonies are both planned (launch trailer shows at least two such ‘examples’… one on Duna and one on a totally new/alien world)

On 3/23/2024 at 8:44 PM, voidhofer said:

Will we be able to build these and send them up from kerbin and assemble in space or do we just "buy" them as-is and they just appear in space?
I don't see docking ports connecting the pieces and I am pretty sure it would not be easy to fly them up whole.

That's the million dollars question.

2 minutes ago, Spicat said:

Not so fast, here one in 2021 when Intercept Games existed:

Still want my money :grin:

Would you consider signing over your 'winnings' so IG can hire another CM and 1-2 more devs?

3 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Would you consider signing over your 'winnings' so IG can hire another CM and 1-2 more devs?

Please don't, those 1-2 devs will take 1-2 devs off of active work for months to train, then take more months to become productive members themselves.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:44 AM, voidhofer said:

A simple explanation would be that the 'Orbital VAB' is part of the Colonies update. Building larger ships in orbit, rather than launching in pieces would negate the need for Docking Ports altogether.

Just now, stephensmat said:

Building larger ships in orbit, rather than launching in pieces would negate the need for Docking Ports altogether.

Not altogether, as there are still uses for landers, resource gatherers, etc.