Weekly Challenge #50: Set the Record

• Community Manager

Challenge50_SetTheRecord_Landscape.png

This week we're going to be pushing jet engines to their limits!

You'll be trying to set the highest speed (surface) and highest altitude (above sea level) records for aircraft powered by each of the jet engines: the Whittle, Wheesley, Panther, Goliath, and Whiplash. No rockets, no boosters, and yes, no Rapier allowed (not even in jet mode). Your record-setting vehicle must:

• Carry at least one kerbal pilot,
  • Take off horizontally from the runway, and
  • Land on the runway and be recovered intact after its mission for the record to be valid.

The altitude and speed records are not limited to level flight! You may climb or dive to attain higher values... just remember to pull up in time!

Game on...

I haven't made videos yet because there will be a lot of iterative improvement but so far I'm getting about 150km and 1450m/s with the Whiplash. So there is a starting point for that one. I'd love to get a good competition going on this one. 

Edited by ralanboyle

28 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

I have not found the number of engines to be the biggest factor in jet top speed. I might be wrong but I doubt the winning ships will be enormous. 

Thank you! This makes me way more interested. 
I’ll give it a go tonight! 

19 hours ago, Poppa Wheelie said:

, you might want to address this in the rules for this challenge

Ah yes, that certainly is glitch exploitation! While it would be good to explicitly outlaw it, I think its generally assumed. 

17 hours ago, Mikki said:

But clipping isn`t nice really, it diffuses the given public challenge.

Alright. I repeated the numbers without engine clipping. 

Edited by ralanboyle

@ralanboyle :D Ahh yes i watched your new clip (...;)) and it is a true Kerbal vehicle and expert flying demo. Looks like your craft breaks the fourth wall at 2:45, i did not try this due to lack of time, but tommorow i`ll force my Kerbals to do some work and exploit the living daylights from those pesky airbreathers.... Cheerz!

BURN BABY BURN

20 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Ah yes, that certainly is glitch exploitation! While it would be good to explicitly outlaw it, I think its generally assumed. 

Alright. I repeated the numbers without engine clipping. 

Very nicely done!

Moving onto the Panther. I got 104km high and fell at 1139m/s with my single engine design. I found that multi engines had a lot of trouble with consistent airflow at high altitude. I think maybe bigger is not better with the panther. 

20 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Moving onto the Panther. I got 104km high and fell at 1139m/s with my single engine design. I found that multi engines had a lot of trouble with consistent airflow at high altitude. I think maybe bigger is not better with the panther. 

Noticed all of your posts and that you've got quite a few badges in your signature. Figured your deserved one more.

AcxpY0.png

Edited by Devblaze

Just letting developers know that Weekly Challenge #50 and #49 in the private division launcher take you out of the launcher and to the website, challenges before #49 open inside of the launcher. Just to let you know :)