List of KSP 1 Mods for those who ask

Posted (edited)

A continuation of my previous post on Reddit, which I had to abandon due to Reddit being Reddit. Im hoping this post gets approved fast so I can share the link on my old post.

Im guessing some of you had this post "What KSP 1 mods to install", "What cool weapon mods to annihilate my pc", etc. and then you go deep inside your brain to think of every single mod for KSP. I guess not anymore now because I made this list to make you next time just send a link and you can move on. This list is basically a database of mods that are actually known and used by players, so you don't have to worry about installing a random obscure mod from CKAN.

Feel free to comment what to add/change/remove. As always, use CKAN!

Im going to use a table since I found out Its smaller than a bullet list, clearer and you can have more content in a smaller space.

* - Mods with this symbol means that they are incompatible with eachother (this applies to only mods in the same column).ㅤㅤ** - MJ is quite controversional, you should only use it as your assist tool, dont main it or part of community will be angry at you. BDArmory requires PRE which is kind of broken, set the simulated area in in-game config (on toolbar) to 50km, only increase If you have to.
Planets Systems General Graphics QoL (No Parts) Utilities (Parts/Overhauls) Part Packs
RSS* Outer Planets Parallax KSP Community Fixes HeatControl Planetary Base Systems
Grannus Kerbal Star Systems TUFX Docking Port Alig. Indicator Kerbalism KIS
Galileo Kcalbeloh Waterfall Trajectories KSP Interstellar Extended KAS
KSRSS* Galaxies Unbound Waterfall Restock Config Kerbal Alarm Clock MechJeb** Near Future mod series
Quackpack Distant Skies AVP* AtmosphereAutopilot Procedural Parts Far Future Technologies
Silan More Real Exoplanets Spectra* Kerbal Cons. Time Realism Overhaul Restock+
Snazzy's OPM   Restock Time Control SCANsat Hangar Extender Extended
Asclepius*   Chatterer/+ TweakScale System Heat KW Rocketry
JNSQ*   PlanetShine Waypoint Manager Universal Storage Extraplanetary Launch Pads
Linbol System Rebirth*   Sunflares of Maar RCS Build Aid Principa Mk2/3 Stockalike Expansion
Neidon Plus*   Kopernicus Expansion Continued-er Parking Brake kOS Kerbal Foundries
Minor Planets Expansion   Distant Object Enhancement Community Tech Tree Kerbal Konstructs Bon Voyage!
Alternis Kerbol Rekerjigged*   BlackRack's Volumetric Clouds* Speed Unit Annex Kerbin Side Remastered BDArmory Plus**
Jool's Surface   Rareden's 8k skybox* The Janitor's Closet   Better SRBs
    Poodmund's skyboxes* Toolbar   Bluedog Design Bureau
    Reentry Particle Effect Renewed Easy Vessel Switch   Soviet Parts and Rockets
    Textures Unlimited ScienceAlert ReAlerted   Lithobrake Exploration Technologies
    Scatterer* BetterTimeWarp Continued   DeepFreeze
    EVE: Redux* BetterBurn Time   CryoTanks
      Textures Unlimited   B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings
      Textures Unlimited Recolour Depot   OPT Spaceplane Continued
      Rocket Sound Enhancement   Modular Kolonization System/WOLF
      Toolbar Controller   Near Future Spacecraft
      AntennaHelper   Tantares
      Contracts Window+   Missing History
      KRASH   Progressive Colonization System
      HyperEdit   Starship Expansion Project
      Dynamic Battery Storage    
      Tracking Station Evolved    
      CommunityDeltavMaps    
      Unkerballed Start    
      Transfer Window Planner    
      Free IVA    
      Soundtrack Editor    
      Ztheme    
      Naztheme    
      Precise Maneuver    
      Gravity Turn Continued    
      Kerbal Joint Reinforcement    
      Click Through Blocker    

Edited by kicek_kic
Added Starship Expansion Project

Some Planet Packs:

Quackpack, Silan, Snazzy's OPM, Asclepius, Linbol System Rebirth, KSRSS, Neidon Plus, Minor Planets Expansion, Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered, Distant Skies, More Real Exoplanets, Jool's Surface

Puzzled as to what you are saying about MJ. I've no interest in arguing about it or about why I would care who might be angry at me for using it. I'm just trying to figure out what you mean when you say not to "main" it, but only to use it as an assist tool. An assist tool is what it is, so yes, that's what it tends to be used for. But I have no idea what you mean by "maining" it. (After the first thousand or so launches, I know perfectly well how to do things like boost up to a particular orbit; it has just become tedious instead of fun).

Speaking of by passing tedium, Gravity Turn Continued is another mod I use (I find its automated launch handier than MJ's). And Default Action Groups takes care of a trivial bit that I otherwise need to do on almost every vehicle build. And Precise Maneuver for many reasons (again MJ has something similar, but I personally prefer Precise Maneuver).

Missing History is a parts mod that really ought to have been part of the Making History DLC as it fills such clear holes.

I don't get the impression that Progressive Colonization System is widely used, but I personally use it a lot. Gives some objectives for the late game. Extraplanetary Launchpads definitely. And Lithobrake Exploration Technologies, mostly just for decent length ladders in my case. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (either variant - I use the "next" one) because without it planetary bases are annoyingly prone to self destruct on scene changes. Strategia.

Module manager is required for a bunch of the other mods, but as long as you use CKAN, it will be pulled in for you; and it doesn't do anything useful that I know of just on its own, so might make sense that you don't bother to cite it. Likewise for Click Through Blocker. I don't think Toolbar Controller is technically required for Toolbar, so CKAN might not pull that one in automatically, but it's useful.

I highly recommend the WOLF colonization system from the USI mods, it provides a lot of the general promise of the KSP2 colony system - resources over time, ease of access and use, etc. It does so by teleporting the colony elements into the void, and using depots to pull resources out of it. Very performance friendly, takes some investment and setup, and interfaces well with most other major mods like EL to build ships off the homeworld.

@kicek_kic Howdy. I have an issue with the column name "Utility/No Parts mods." I would expect that the mods here are all QoL (quality of life) mods which specifically don't add parts. There a lot of players who love utilities and hate parts and would have the same problem I'm pointing out. Please split this column into utilities (parts) and QoL (no-parts). The parts mods so far:

• Heat Control (Radiator pack)
  • Kerbalism (Gameplay overhaul)
  • KSP Interstellar Extended (Gameplay overhaul and mega parts pack)
  • MechJeb (The MJ core is a part)
  • Procedural Parts (of course)
  • Realism Overhaul (Gameplay overhaul and mega parts pack)
  • SCANsat (scanner parts pack)
  • System Heat (Adds a few parts but they can be ignored entirely)
  • Universal Storage (Cargo parts pack)

"Kerbal Constructs" is actually Kerbal Konstructs.  KK and Kerbinside Remastered aren't actually parts mods, as they add no parts. They do have an impact on system resources, but they're closer to a utility than a parts mod.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:11 PM, rmaine said:

Puzzled as to what you are saying about MJ. I've no interest in arguing about it or about why I would care who might be angry at me for using it. I'm just trying to figure out what you mean when you say not to "main" it, but only to use it as an assist tool. An assist tool is what it is, so yes, that's what it tends to be used for. But I have no idea what you mean by "maining" it. (After the first thousand or so launches, I know perfectly well how to do things like boost up to a particular orbit; it has just become tedious instead of fun).

Some users, apparently, with absolutely no knowledge or any skill install MJ and then become addicted to it because they can't do anything right without MJ. That's what I heard at least.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:38 PM, chefsbrian said:

I highly recommend the WOLF colonization system from the USI mods, it provides a lot of the general promise of the KSP2 colony system - resources over time, ease of access and use, etc. It does so by teleporting the colony elements into the void, and using depots to pull resources out of it. Very performance friendly, takes some investment and setup, and interfaces well with most other major mods like EL to build ships off the homeworld.

I added Modular Kolonization System (MKS) - If that's not what you meant then please give me link to the mod you mean.

23 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@kicek_kic Howdy. I have an issue with the column name "Utility/No Parts mods." I would expect that the mods here are all QoL (quality of life) mods which specifically don't add parts. There a lot of players who love utilities and hate parts and would have the same problem I'm pointing out. Please split this column into utilities (parts) and QoL (no-parts). The parts mods so far:

• Heat Control (Radiator pack)
  • Kerbalism (Gameplay overhaul)
  • KSP Interstellar Extended (Gameplay overhaul and mega parts pack)
  • MechJeb (The MJ core is a part)
  • Procedural Parts (of course)
  • Realism Overhaul (Gameplay overhaul and mega parts pack)
  • SCANsat (scanner parts pack)
  • System Heat (Adds a few parts but they can be ignored entirely)
  • Universal Storage (Cargo parts pack)

Updated! I was also thinking of separating certain mods into their own category from Utility/No Parts but since no one was talking about it, I thought it was fine. Well, thank you for giving me a green light.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi, sorry to bother. I'm currently going through and installed a lot of the mods but some of them aren't showing up on CKAN? (This is my first time installing mods for KSP) Two of the mods that I have noticed which don't show up so far would be Principa and SCANsat. Do you know why that might be and where I should install them instead?

EDIT: I have finished with all the mods that I wanted to install (everything except for additional planets and systems) and here is the list of mods that I found which are either just not listed in CKAN or are stated to be incompatible with the most recent version of KSP. 

Principa

SCANsat

far future technologies

Hanger

Mk2/3 Stockalike Expansion

bluedog design bureau

soviet parts and rockets

cryotanks

opt spaceplane continued

modular kolonization system (doesn't appear)

near future spacecraft

tantares (which one?)

missing history

progressive colonization system

Edited by YourPleb
Addition

On 5/5/2024 at 3:35 AM, kicek_kic said:

I added Modular Kolonization System (MKS) - If that's not what you meant then please give me link to the mod you mean.

I believe he is talking about the WOLF system bundled inside MKS. It doesn't actually depend on MKS for anything. To clarify: inside GameData/USI, there is a WOLF folder, which can be used standalone. WOLF provides abstracted logistics: you take wolf parts to a biome, connect them to said biome, and you now have a WOLF 'base' there. This produces virtual wolf resources, which you can bring into the main ksp world with wolf hoppers.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:07 AM, YourPleb said:

or are stated to be incompatible with the most recent version of KSP.

I thought everyone knows this... but go to Settings -> Compatible Game Versions, and check all versions all the way down to 1.8. That should fix the incompatible game version issue (all the mods designed for 1.8 should work with 1.12.5).

- For Hanger mod, just use Hangar Extender then instead.
- Note the "/" between 2 and 3 in Mk2/3. The "/" here represents different mods. There is "Mk2 Stockalike Expansion" and "Mk3 Stockalike Expansion". Did the same thing to Chatterer.
- Ahhh Its actually "Soviet Probes and Rockets", my bad. Also in CKAN just search "Soviet Rockets".
- Just separate the cryo from tanks and it should give you the mod, Im copying the mod names from their homepage, so Its always worth experimenting a bit since CKAN names are not always the same.
- Its "Tantares - Soviet Spacecraft". A note in future is to look at the names, you are obviously looking for the main mod, so "Addition to Tantares" is already out of the question, next, also look If the mod name itself actually contains the main mod name, so mod "BDB Now in Colors!" is also out of the question. Finally, when you eliminate all the mods that you are sure are not them, click them and in description click the link to Its home page and check If Its what you're looking for.
- The same thing as with cryotanks, but now you actually have to connect both words. As I said, always experiment.

Any other mods is just not having the compatible versions checked. About Principa... apparently Its one of those mods that you can't install in CKAN, here is the official guide made by CKAN to install it though:
https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Installing,-reporting-bugs,-and-frequently-asked-questions

13 hours ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

I believe he is talking about the WOLF system bundled inside MKS. It doesn't actually depend on MKS for anything. To clarify: inside GameData/USI, there is a WOLF folder, which can be used standalone. WOLF provides abstracted logistics: you take wolf parts to a biome, connect them to said biome, and you now have a WOLF 'base' there. This produces virtual wolf resources, which you can bring into the main ksp world with wolf hoppers.

Interesing, well, I never used that mod. Though I feel like this information won't fit well in the table, so Im just going to make it MKS/WOLF. If someone gets confused, he'll find his answer here and Im sure most of the players check comment section when they have a problem with a mod.

16 hours ago, kicek_kic said:

I thought everyone knows this... but go to Settings -> Compatible Game Versions, and check all versions all the way down to 1.8. That should fix the incompatible game version issue (all the mods designed for 1.8 should work with 1.12.5).

- For Hanger mod, just use Hangar Extender then instead.
- Note the "/" between 2 and 3 in Mk2/3. The "/" here represents different mods. There is "Mk2 Stockalike Expansion" and "Mk3 Stockalike Expansion". Did the same thing to Chatterer.
- Ahhh Its actually "Soviet Probes and Rockets", my bad. Also in CKAN just search "Soviet Rockets".
- Just separate the cryo from tanks and it should give you the mod, Im copying the mod names from their homepage, so Its always worth experimenting a bit since CKAN names are not always the same.
- Its "Tantares - Soviet Spacecraft". A note in future is to look at the names, you are obviously looking for the main mod, so "Addition to Tantares" is already out of the question, next, also look If the mod name itself actually contains the main mod name, so mod "BDB Now in Colors!" is also out of the question. Finally, when you eliminate all the mods that you are sure are not them, click them and in description click the link to Its home page and check If Its what you're looking for.
- The same thing as with cryotanks, but now you actually have to connect both words. As I said, always experiment.

Any other mods is just not having the compatible versions checked. About Principa... apparently Its one of those mods that you can't install in CKAN, here is the official guide made by CKAN to install it though:
https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Installing,-reporting-bugs,-and-frequently-asked-questions

Interesing, well, I never used that mod. Though I feel like this information won't fit well in the table, so Im just going to make it MKS/WOLF. If someone gets confused, he'll find his answer here and Im sure most of the players check comment section when they have a problem with a mod.

It's my first time ever modding, sorry but thank you!

• 2 weeks later...