FTX-2 for Fuel Transfer. Question.

Playing with fuel transfer limitations like no transfer through heat shields, I am testing out using EVA construction to fit the FTX-2 External Fuel Duct to transfer fuel between 2 tanks with a heat shield between them. What I found was, with only 1 ducs fitted, I can not transfer fuel but with 2 ducts, 1 going in the other going out, I can transfer all day long. Is this intended? It makes no sense to me as 1 way is all you need for say, the old aspargus staging.. Anyone have any thoughts?

On 5/1/2024 at 10:05 PM, LN400 said:

Playing with fuel transfer limitations like no transfer through heat shields, I am testing out using EVA construction to fit the FTX-2 External Fuel Duct to transfer fuel between 2 tanks with a heat shield between them. What I found was, with only 1 ducs fitted, I can not transfer fuel but with 2 ducts, 1 going in the other going out, I can transfer all day long. Is this intended? It makes no sense to me as 1 way is all you need for say, the old aspargus staging.. Anyone have any thoughts?

fuel transfer ducts are diretional. they can only transfer in one direction. if you can't transfer fuel, mount it in the opposite direction

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

fuel transfer ducts are diretional. they can only transfer in one direction. if you can't transfer fuel, mount it in the opposite direction

Like I said, I need to fit ducts going both ways. That's the core ofthe issue I'm having. I was expecting 1 would be enough but nope, I def need to fit one for each way.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 10:05 PM, LN400 said:

For me, it doesn't make sense too. If you want to transfer the fuel only in one direction, one duct should be enough. But it is, like it is. I needed an extensive search on the forum, as I ran into the same problem at my Eve mission. I wanted to transfer fuel from a fuel tank, which I left in orbit, and which I detached later, through the command pod, and was frustrated, why I couldn't do it with a single duct.

hJR4bgQ.jpg

Edited by DennisB

I wonder if it's related to the fact that the KAS resource pump doesn't work when the 2 ships, the tanker and the one in need of fuel, are in any way docked to one another. It works when the 2 are floating around freely near each other but unless the orbits are 100% in tune, that fuel pump will be ripped off the tanker pretty quick.