Copenhagen Suborbitals joins KSP

Bah, you're making it really hard for me to study today :wink:

On the other hand, the 24 hours of Le Mans isn't helping either

Congrats on the successful flight, I hope you got the data you were looking for :)

Blink and you miss it!

Annoyingly, thats exactly what I did!

It sounds like your GPS was cutting out as they are pre-programmed to do. (legal restrictions on their operation) although you was far below cut off speeds and altitudes, they can be a bit variable and some cut off much much sooner. Alternatively, might have been knocked out by shock on engine cutoff/drogue deploy. It'd be a good idea to test the performance of a few modules.

Still, I'm suprised you didn't use the IMU telemetry for tracking position instead of the GPS (or at least thats what it sounds like was being done with the voice over on the launch), which off the shelf modules tend to be unreliable in extreme conditions. If the IMU is capable of guiding the rocket, I'd expect the accuracy to be sufficent to track it. (aircraft all used to be guided this way)

Great to see another Peter Madsen engine, I love his work. Also props to your guidance control computer designer for getting it to go in the direction it was supposed to be going! (though I'd have done the tracking differently) I think you guys are gonna have to really rethink your recovery techniques though. Heat1X didn't deploy, Sapphire did not appear to deploy, and LES test didn't give enough time to see how it would have behaved (but did seem to work).

Think your next test needs to be a quick and dirty parachute experiment. Also consider fitting an alternate, different parachute redundancy, so they can't fail in the same method.

EDIT:

Hearing from a few more people on the youtube (probably danish speakers) It sounds like it was a telemetry error, where the altitude was slated to be increasing when the rocket was falling. A timer or static pressure sensors could be potential ways to prevent this occuring again. Hopefully a lot of lessons have been learnt aside from checking the guidance!

Edited by TouhouTorpedo