[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

Once you get the directional gravity with actual walking inside the ship done, could you make a optional version/part which does include the orientation to the ground but not the gravity?

Whoa there cowboy. I'm thinking it will be quite a while until I get gravity worked out. I'll add it to my list though.

Ive noticed your smoothing is a bit er...borked? it could be intentional but as a seasoned modeler its borked to me, are you using 3dsmax or Blender? it looks like 3dsmax from one image but, both programs have a very similar modelling space it you cut out all the User interface of the program.

Blender. If you're referring to the current pictures I have up, the latest release has 'Edge Split' turned on for a number of the sections which looked a bit blobby. If you've got some advice I'd be glad to hear it. I know I really ought to do some more work on the textures, but I still don't have all of my baseline parts out yet.

• 2 weeks later...

First off ... This is a great mod. Thanks!

I am trying to build a large ship out of it but I am having problems with the rectangular docking ports ..... they won't join up.

Is there something I don't know about? Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help please?

First off ... This is a great mod. Thanks!

I am trying to build a large ship out of it but I am having problems with the rectangular docking ports ..... they won't join up.

Is there something I don't know about? Am I doing something wrong? Can someone help please?

Same here ;.; the only way they connect is end to end. this a great looking mod just whish i could make something with it.

Oh wow. I could finally build a Spaceship with this. All it needs is a plugin for Kerbals to have a first person view.

Does this have a large, central area with four openings?

Same here ;.; the only way they connect is end to end. this a great looking mod just whish i could make something with it.

Sorry guys, I've got a bunch of stuff going on so I haven't had a chance to work on it lately.

I will say however that the node restrictions are a part of the KSP code which I can't change. Only two nodes can be used as 'root' points. These two nodes are the last two listed in the .cfg file. I'm not sure how familiar you are with it, but it would be fairly trivial to copy the parts you're missing and re-order the nodes. A bit of simple research will get you there, and if not feel free to message me and I'll provide specific examples.

I don't have a bunch of varieties for the node placements, because I don't want to duplicate a ton of parts.

Also the Lazor mod has a first person POV option I believe, however I find that zooming in usually is better since you are less likely to get disoriented.

So I just tested the parts. Got some problems that need to be ironed out of this mod; a mod I hope is still being worked on by the author and not dead because this thing is the best thing since this game (for me).... *breath*

- Can't seem to get the airlock door to work. I'm thinking that "VG-Plugin" folder plays a part.

- When exiting a chair in the cockpit, my Kerbal goes through the roof and appears outside, over it instead of in the cockpit.

- Parts seem too heavy. I made a simple horizontal-shaped ship with engines in the back, and the CoM caused the ship to lift up, even with RCS/ASAS enabled and installed on it via cubic struts.

Again, I pray this mod is still being worked on. This is the first ever Sci-Fi attempt of having interplanetary ships at this game that I've seen (that all you have to do is connect the hull pieces together).

Well I'm getting married in a month, so a ton of my free time is going to that right now. I've been meaning to make a cockpit w/ IVA, but I need to just kick something out w/o IVA.

The stock seats have a kind of wacky ejection mechanic, which I thought I'd resolved w/ the built in seats. Part of the problem is that I have 0 time to play KSP these days, and usually just do a very cursory inspection of parts before release. So specific lists of issues (as Benie provided) are a godsend.

The VG-Plugin is the Vanguard Plugin and is needed for all of my animations in order for them to be usable in EVA. If it's not included in your folder then the .cfg file points to a non-existent module.

RadiatorArray - Have you read through my previous comments on issues with nodes? Is it affecting all of the parts or just the various 'hull sections' which have more than 2 nodes?

Congratulations, for one thing! Happy for you. :)

Second, my Kerbal Engineers were playing with the 4m parts, as there isn't a lot of 2m parts to play with. They told me that there also isn't any 2m to 4m part connectors. As for the seats, they were using Stock seats.

Also I found out Seasickness Cure doesn't work when in space. This isn't a fault with your parts, and I don't blame the author of that mod either.

have you considered trying cinema 4d for texturing? (and maybe modeling?) I know most people don't like to use c4d for whatever reason, but it really makes some things a lot easier. you can texture as you go and don't have to draw every texture by hand. there's quite a bit built into c4ds texturing system to start with, and texture mapping is basically 1 button.

unity fully supports c4d, so by the time you're done modeling, you can basically just hit "bake texture" then export as obj. and you're all set for unity

• 2 weeks later...

I happen to have a brief lull in the madness and as such will attempt to pump out a few parts. Improved texturing and IVA are not on the table at the moment. I'll look into the cinema 4d, but doubt it will be something I actually try to use until September (after honeymoon).

Right now I'm going to try to rough out:

- 3 or 4 cockpits (no IVA)

- A single 2m to single 4m adapter

- Quad adapters

- 90 degree elbows

- Perpendicular variants of the 4x Hull section

I can model things very quickly, so if someone wants to make a request I would be willing to model it if they will help out on the .cfg end.

I'm not planning on doing 1m parts, they'd be too small to move around in. Kerbals are about 1m tall. Even w/ a first person view your camera would be clipping through the sides all the time.

Sorry. :P

If you did learn .cfg edits, you could easily modify the sections to any scale you'd want.

Thanks Alskari, I love this mod for being able to see my guys inside my new orbital hotel.

I have a problem though. After successfully entering a 'Crew Cap 2m" part, when I try to leave it I get a message saying the door is obstructed. So my guy is trapped inside forever.

Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Thanks! And I don't know what the issue might be with the 'Crew Cap 2m' but I know the crew deck was a bit narrow, and some colliders were turned on that shouldn't have been. It's been widened.

Also mod is updated! Thinking of moving it to released before long, so any small problems would be welcomed!