What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Built an interesting ship with the TCA mod. It flies like a pig and eats through fuel, but just the fact that it can even get off the ground makes me so happy.

http://imgur.com/a/7DN6Z

... ♫ and you can't take the sky from me. ♫

Myself, I just did a aerial survey for pressure readings. Naturally I botched the plane landing of the one I had to try to get on the ground to get full credit for the contract, so I get to try for that one again. Still have yet to make a VTOL survey craft that flies well in VTOL mode, this despite following the usual guidelines.

It's has a certain je ne sais quoi. A faint smell of vodka and squatting emanate from my PC as I view this. I am having naughty thoughts about tracksuits too, what's going on!
A few others have been built, to my knowledge, but they're pretty rare.
I wonder how fair Ferram's Better Buoyancy would handle it actually skimming the water.
If it changes part tolerance, probably okay. I think I'll look into that...

Sadly, I lost a 2 crewed lander at Tylo, they were coming in from Bop, and I had a SOI capture,

however (Doh) I warped just a little fast, and came out lower than expected _IOW not a low AP, but going down to the surface hehehe),

with not enough time to blast out into orbit, just poor planning on my part.

I't been a blast with .90, I'm looking forward to 1.0 to begin yet again :)

Today in KSP (well, late last night) I reinstalled RSS/RO on my MacBook (yay stock 1/2 res texture support!) and set up all the related mods (minus RemoteTech, which I'll get to eventually). Built a quick and simple launcher, the GP-0, and dropped two basic satellites into 300km and 500km orbits.

CuK3zfd.jpg

With qualification and testing of the launch vehicle complete, I decided it was time to send up Jebediah. And thus the Adventure 1 was born. It's a Mercury-like orbiter with a dedicated reentry package, and used the GP-0 booster with a slightly upgraded second stage. Jeb was launched from Wallops Island with spectacular views of the East Coast, much to the delight of no one as there are no cities in my RSS.

a4yjzyG.jpg

He made it to space, but was several hundred m/s short of orbital velocity. Not sure yet if that was due to a poor ascent trajectory or poor calculations. Might also have to do with the improperly-installed launch escape system. Or maybe Jeb ate too many enchiladas the night before launch. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the reentry package failed to ignite. Had Jeb made orbit, he would have died there. Regardless, the EVA was green-lit, so he was happy. Kerbals are easy to please.

XggwV2W.jpg

Sadly Jebediah Kerman did not survive reentry. His parachute system burned up and exploded, and the craft and crew were lost somewhere in the Eastern Atlantic (or maybe the Mediterranean). RealChutes was promptly installed following that debacle. Spaceflight operations have now transitioned to Brownsville, TX, where tonight Bill will be attempting to reach orbit in the Adventure 2 atop a new and barely tested GP-1 booster.

Udyc8lD.jpg

As an aside: does anyone have a suggestion for a small orbital engine in the 5-50kN range that is also RO-configured? (Or a configuration for such?) Doesn't need to be hypergolic - even KeroLox or LH2 would suffice. I'm not overly thrilled with the "stock" options, and the only engine pack I'm using at the moment is BobCat's old Soviet one. Thanks.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

I had grown bored with KSP, so I decided try RSS with the real planets. I went to the RSS thread and realized that I would have to install a lot of new mods with it. It might be easier to install the entire RO at the same time, which of course meant installing even more mods. Luckily there was a CKAN installation option available, so I went to download CKAN. Then I realized that I didn't have Mono installed on this Mac, so I had to install it through Homebrew to run CKAN.

When I finally got to run CKAN, it just crashed with a huge error message. At that point I quit, because the whole thing started feeling too much like my day job.

As an aside: does anyone have a suggestion for a small orbital engine in the 5-50kN range that is also RO-configured? (Or a configuration for such?) Doesn't need to be hypergolic - even KeroLox or LH2 would suffice. I'm not overly thrilled with the "stock" options, and the only engine pack I'm using at the moment is BobCat's old Soviet one. Thanks.
KW, AIES, and FASA are vital. There are some decent hypergolic engines configured from AIES. Alternatively, make some of your own (the route I will eventually take because there isn't a ton of variety right now.)

I am taking a look at lifters. Below is my HL-3 lifter design. A bit lighter then the HL-2

kO3QYv6.png

Used the HL-3 Lifter to deliver several Emergency Habitats around the Mun. It works very nice :-)

WhDCU8P.png

Edited by BJ Quest

KW, AIES, and FASA are vital. There are some decent hypergolic engines configured from AIES. Alternatively, make some of your own (the route I will eventually take because there isn't a ton of variety right now.)

I may eventually just make my own, models and all. It's been 15 years since I did any serious 3D work, so maybe it's time to break out Blender or similar. This game needs more really-tiny parts.

AIES was one of the things I downloaded last night, just didn't have the time to filter through all the parts for those I want to use. Guess I'll go back and take a look at FASA and KW, too. Available memory seems to no longer be a major concern, given I can't run full-res on an Intel HD4000 anyway.

When I first started setting this up I wasn't sure if it'd work at all. Stock KSP with full-res textures sits around 3GBs on my MBP, so I was pleasantly surprised when RSS and 1/2-sized textures only rang up about 2.2GBs. Got even better when I dropped all the stock parts made irrelevant by the various procedural ones. I'm thinking now I might even be able to work in the Outer Planets Mod for Saturn, maybe some simple EVE cloud layers for Titan and Venus, etc. Nothing too greedy.

Thanks.

I haven't played KSP in two days (busy, Work and Arma 2 got in the way) but I have been planing a hub station that will be placed around Minmus so that I no longer have to split my long range tug (the 15k d/v thing) and the lander when I want to refuel the tug.

It'll probably use a lot of Near Future Construction parts (see here). Octo-girder octo-hub as, well, a hug. Some docking ports Sr., some adapters, a bit of RCS control, a probe core or SAS for better authority.

Actually, this is pretty nice. I might have to appropriate (read: steal) this design and try to incorporate a karbonite drill and converter for a Laythe hopper.

Real nice.

My whole hub thing for minmus is going along great as far design go but I'm a bit short on funds and while I wait for some missions to complete I'll be able to test some things.

Actually, this is pretty nice. I might have to appropriate (read: steal) this design and try to incorporate a karbonite drill and converter for a Laythe hopper.

Real nice.

My whole hub thing for minmus is going along great as far design go but I'm a bit short on funds and while I wait for some missions to complete I'll be able to test some things.

Here you can find the german forum threat with german description and craft file download -> http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.de/index.php?page=Thread&postID=40044#post40044

I've been playing a little bit, trying to improve my crappy maneuvering skills (not today, but these past days).

Returning from Duna to Kerbin in a single shot (first attempt).. Gravity assisted and aerobraking

4Z9ORPV.png

Returning from Duna to Kerbin in a single Burn (small on course correction).. this time aerobrake will make sure the probe hits the ground!

GQDweUV.png

I've been playing with small orbiting "aids", not trying to reach too far:

Being assisted by the Mun to get a Kerbin orbit close to the Mun (this was a test for a mission I'm planning):

JRvNrC7.png

And the infamous "single safe shoot to Mun orbit":

ieF1f1s.png

Not too impressive in the visuals, I know, but quite fun!!!!

I spun up my very first Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul install and promptly got my butt handed to me. Newbish errors commited while unlearning the things KSP has taught me:

1. Forgot to put fuel in a tank.

2. Used an engine with poor atmo Isp for the first stage, thrust scaling brought the TWR down to 0.8 or so and it sat there burning away.

3. Failed to supply ullage to the upper stage, no ignition.

4. Forgot launch clamps and had the simple single-stack rocket collapse on the pad.

5. Had the rocket tear itself apart in atmo due to aerodynamic forces that I couldn't reduce because the throttle, it does nothing.

However, for all that frustration and head smacking, I finally put a Gemini capsule into low Earth orbit using a Centaur/2xRL10 upper stage and a Titan/LR-87 lower stage (the RO veterans are cringing right now :)). It has been a long, long time since I felt so much satisfaction from just getting to low orbit.