What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

In my grand career reboot (using tougher settings and KCT), sent probes to the Mun and Minmus, and made my first orbital rescue (in this campaign).  Tough when having to make a rendezvous 'manually' (using just the navball, stock nodes and information in the Map screen) and no RCS control-- but not impossible.  [Achievement unlocked! :D ]

Got this probe into Duna orbit.

l8E5RCt.png

The mission/design of it was originally based off the Mars 2 Orbiter and Lander. This Duna orbiter here had a lander attached to the top, but since I'm new to interplanetary travel and the characteristics of Duna, I didnt account for the weak atmosphere of Duna and the lander crashed :(

Yesterday I was about to toss the Gilly Orbiter mission manual in the bin.  The transfer stage had burned out 650m/s short of Eve capture, & we had only 72 units of fuel with the probe's maneuvering Ant thruster.  However we'd spent $160,000 to get it there, we may as well try until we fail.

Step 1, 650 m/s burn to get capture- check, and hey there's fuel left.

Step 2, 450 m/s plane change to match Gilly- check.

Step 3, ...well holy crap; what luck. Only a 47 m/s burn gets me an encounter!

Step 4, 400 m/s to capture-- and 12 units of fuel left!?!  We did it!!

I will never again look down on the lowly Ant.

Probably I am  of the few that think that KSP is making an improvement on planetary atmospheres. When I send the firs ship (an automatic probe) to a planet with atmosphere I try to make a plane to check several locations for the future crewed missions.

So I wanted to make a plane for Duna, In the past electric engines, or Karbonite engines, were able to fly in Duna. But in this new version al these engines don't have enough power for a practical plane... But this is more realistic behavior... Duna only have the 5% of the atmospheric pressure of Kerbin. At that altitude, when the pressure is only 5%, in Kerbin the jet engines don't have power, and the propeller blades don't have enough air to impulse the plane... I was thinking on make a rocket plane with enough fuel for a 15min autonomy... At this moment I saw the ION engine, high ISP low power... But  the pressure in Duna is almost like don´t have atmophere, so the power and the ISP are reduced only about 5% in the worse conditions...      

17 minutes ago, obi_juan said:

Probably I am  of the few that think that KSP is making an improvement on planetary atmospheres. When I send the firs ship (an automatic probe) to a planet with atmosphere I try to make a plane to check several locations for the future crewed missions.

I'm the same way.  I'd much rather fly if possible than drive around a planet :)  I haven't tried flying on Duna yet in 1.0.5 (been too busy messing with Tekto in OPM).  Thanks for the heads-up on the new conditions there.

Awesome ion plane, BTW.

Still some details to add, but I have a Saturn S-1C flyable. Yes, that's a 1.25m probe core attached to the fuel tank. :)  It's also using the Rhino's flame effects for now. But it needs something bigger, so I'll make that too at some point.

Edited by NecroBones

Spent some more time working on my old rocket plane, the Fermion. It's part of my ongoing vendetta against side-mounted shuttle orbiters, and it performs better than I could have hoped. Right now I'm throwing a little station together to put it through its paces, and then I'm gonna integrate it into my career fleet.

adsUDOR.png

AltjnEh.png

I had some technical difficulties with the fireworks display... Anyways Happy 2016 everyone!

Cdhqyz3.png

I didn't even know such a big explosion was possible...

EPjgZhY.png

oQ7pwqx.png

Judging by this last picture I estimate only about 30% of the fireworks went off. Shame.

Edited by RocketPilot573

Just as the new year rolled in, I sent my Duna mothership on its way out of Kerbin's SOI:

4mESCKE.png

The "Dunaginata" is a much more modest craft than Kidonia, weighing in at a comparatively light 511 parts and 215 tons, but is nevertheless a weighty beast. Inside its main cargo bay is a lander for Ike and an advanced portable station that includes a survey probe, scientific probe, and ISRU mining bot; attached to the tail are the portable station expansion kit (which upgrades the station to include an artificial gravity ring) and a lander/ISRU refinery for a contract. Since Duna only has one moon, far fewer components are needed for this mission than for Kidonia's, which is the primary reason for the smaller size, mass, and part count.

6 hours ago, Red Dwarf said:

Spent some more time working on my old rocket plane, the Fermion. It's part of my ongoing vendetta against side-mounted shuttle orbiters, and it performs better than I could have hoped. Right now I'm throwing a little station together to put it through its paces, and then I'm gonna integrate it into my career fleet.

adsUDOR.png

AltjnEh.png

Now that's a nice looking shuttle.  Do you have a thread on this one?  Alternatively can you give any more information.  I'm interested in alternatives to my Buran and other's shuttles also!

I went wing-suit flying on Kerbin today:

MOQs6cd.png

SM

Few weeks back I build an X-Wing. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp-today/&do=findComment&comment=2326720). Today I tried my luck at building a B-Wing.

screenshot7.pngscreenshot8.pngscreenshot9.png

Like its movie counterpart it's very manoeuvrable. Just don't expect it to fly in the direction you want. Admiral Ackbar was right: "It's a trap!" It's a flying death trap! 100% stock and 100% deadly ... for the unfortunate pilot.

Edited by Tex_NL

59 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Few weeks back I build an X-Wing. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/27292-what-did-you-do-in-ksp-today/&do=findComment&comment=2326720). Today I tried my luck at building a B-Wing.

screenshot7.pngscreenshot8.pngscreenshot9.png

Like its movie counterpart it's very manoeuvrable. Just don't expect it to fly in the direction you want. Admiral Ackbar was right: "It's a trap!" It's a flying death trap! 100% stock and 100% deadly ... for the unfortunate pilot.

Nice work. Fits very nice with the Star Wars O.D. I've been having this vacation :D