What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Triop said:

Space can wait, I just want to enjoy this game for the next 10 years. &)

My first three years in KSP were in haste to get to Jool.  Recently, I finally landed on Vall.  Since then, the pressure has been off and I don't think I've gone further than the Mun.  I seem to spend my hours now traipsing over Kerbin, looking for flowers or coffee beans to smell.  :)  It's gonna be a long, looong time before I finish KSP!

3 hours ago, Triop said:

... Fokker F27 Friendship...

I might steal use that idea :ph34r:

Now, I can't resist a confession.  Whenever I see a screen-shot of an airplane that looks really nice, I can't help myself.  Like this little beauty I saw recently:

yK0yAaU.png

(Once can learn heaps from good old-fashioned reverse-engineering.  :)  )

Edited by Hotel26

18 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

My first three years in KSP were in haste to get to Jool.  Recently, I finally landed on Vall.  Since then, the pressure has been off and I don't think I've gone further than the Mun.  I seem to spend my hours now traipsing over Kerbin, looking for flowers or coffee beans to smell.  :)  It's gonna be a long, looong time before I finish KSP!

Now, I can't resist a confession.  Whenever I see a screen-shot of an airplane that looks really nice, I can't help myself.  Like this little beauty I saw recently:

yK0yAaU.png

(Once can learn heaps from good old-fashioned reverse-engineering.  :)  )

Nice, do you like how it flies ?

You could  make the wings a bit shorter by clipping it more into the fuselage as I did.

Glad you like it. ^_^

30kNyhm.png

Edited by Triop

7 hours ago, Triop said:

Nice, do you like how it flies ?

You could  make the wings a bit shorter by clipping it more into the fuselage as I did.

Glad you like it. ^_^

I do!!  That's the part I can't resist: I have to slide into the cockpit and take the little gems for a spin to see how they fly; I can't just look.

I'm gonna follow your instructions about the wings, Master.  I ain't NEVER gonna copy your color schemes though, and that's a PROMISE!  :)

Most recently, I also rev-eng'd a Rutan design posted in this topic way back earlier this year, but my general policy is not to publish airplanes I've copied, or even screenshots of them, without express permission from the original author.

After accidentaly stumbling upon Baikerbanur (a few pages back), I launched a mission to explore the surrounding mountains - in style.

yHaSjPF.png

OMwwONs.png

Dropping a temporary base from the plane

0hx2f76.png

unloading the rover

Qf8nUs6.png

Expedition ready, we're setting off into the mountains the next morning.

May I casually break the "Most images in a post" record? In other words:

WARNING: VERY picture heavy post!

I've followed my own suggestion and took the time to quickly put together a plane and explore Kerbin's landscape. Flies surprisingly well for how little time I spent building it.

So I began flying west and took "some*" screenshots of the landscape. *25 images in total

I started in the middle of the night, in the hopes of catching the sunset (from Kerbins perspective, not mine).

Ywiimtm.png

UAeOyrZ.png

I arrived at the big crater, still in the middle of the night. I decided to land on the island in the middle. That took 2 attempts. Taking off took a few attempts, either because of my stupidity or the plane deciding to tilt to one side and lose a wing.

W4wh78d.png

Then there was just ocean, so no screenshots of interesting landscapes there. However, I did take screenshots of the sun rising during sunset:

Spoiler

I think I see a brown tint on the horizon!

8V9RRwO.png

Q5HkkIo.png

l6lJ8HE.png

5DvXsAS.png

The sky is slowly turning blue:

Q3hY5ZZ.png

RIi1IMH.png

I liked the brown gradient between night and blue sky so much that I took 2 screenshots of just them:

2r9QaBH.png

Here it's a bit later and from the outside:

n7Y5F9u.png

The Sun starts peeking over the horizon:

38I31Ip.png

6cZ5YaY.png

And as the Sun comes, the Mun goes: Munset!

WmeKYzE.png

Jj5oH3v.png

Back to the, much more interesting, Sun. Now fully above the horizon...

PT3qPfS.png

...And the cockpit panels:

1mPdmNz.png

Fittingly, after the Sun fully rose, interesting terrain (more specifically: mountains) started appearing.

MfEgzz3.png

WSb3byj.png

ISc24Yh.png

At that point I still thought these were simply some mountains in the middle of nowhere. I was proven wrong...

NzFIP6Z.png

xwVsPml.png

After another while of flying I got down to 200/900 units of fuel. Fearing that I'd have to ditch the aircraft I decided to land.

Wu9kBTT.png

kTanyIV.png

And this is how far I've made it around the planet. Both KSC and craft are in the foreground, not behind Kerbin. Reminder: I travelled to the west, so clockwise, not counterclockwise:

EFwpMqh.png

Edited by Delay
Minor correction

My Grand Tour is officially underway, but getting to minmus was a pain.

I used a Mun Gravity assist, because even after 3 burns at Periapsis, it wasn't reaching anywhere, but that's what you get, pushing a 650+ton craft with a single NERV.

(Max. acceleration = 83 mm/s2, yes millimetres)

But, I got to Minmus and landed without a hitch, so I refueled, planted a flag, and went on my way to the Eve transfer window.

14 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Most recently, I also rev-eng'd a Rutan design posted in this topic way back earlier this year, but my general policy is not to publish airplanes I've copied, or even screenshots of them, without express permission from the original author.

I can't see Bert Rutan showing up and complaining though :D  I had a go at a Vari-Eze when I was messing about with electric props some time back

0ZaliNP.png?1

26 minutes ago, Delay said:

Build a sounding rocket?

A wut ?

Sounds cool, but I haven't got a clue . . .

As we speak I'm returning from the North pole, hope I'll have enough science for some rover wheels.

kORgVxp.png

I love seeing Jeb in his cockpit, wondering what he is thinking about . . .

G8Ruywn.png

^_^

Edited by Triop

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

wut ?

Sounding rockets, in simple terms, are suborbital probes for scientific purposes.

For KSP, this means: Probe core, antenna, SRB, science.

As long as you're outside the atmosphere you can collect "in space around Kerbin" science. You don't have to go into orbit.

6 minutes ago, Delay said:

Sounding rockets, in simple terms, are suborbital probes for scientific purposes.

For KSP, this means: Probe core, antenna, SRB, science.

As long as you're outside the atmosphere you can collect "in space around Kerbin" science. You don't have to go into orbit.

I kinda did that while taking tourists up, so I did went into space, but I guess soon I have to make orbit to continue my career...

GPduOFI.png

Thanks for following my adventures btw. &)

Edited by Triop

15 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

but my general policy is not to publish airplanes I've copied, or even screenshots of them, without express permission from the original author.

Just give credit and no one gets hurt . . . :ph34r:

Yesterday was rather boring - double rescue in Kerbin orbit followed by a training flight to Mun - but today is a little more interesting so far.  I tested an Atlas-ish launcher.  First flight was unremarkable, second took a Mk 1 pod to orbit & the "big" test was to launch a Probes Plus Surveyor lander with small NERV transfer stage to orbit in preparation for a Dres window.  I was pleased with the lack of explosions.  The booster section still needs work for looks, but functioning is quite good.

Atlas-Surveyor liftoff:

Le7LgFX.png?2

Sustainer pushing on to orbit:

xxN78Ud.png?2

Surveyor in orbit - it was short of dV in the launcher, but I had over 6k in the transfer stage, so no problem:

EBvpAwF.png?1