boulders

SofusRud

Yea, if all the boulders had collision meshs, then I'm sure even the most powerful computers would explode unless the game was optimized.

depending on how its currently done adding collision mesh doesn't have to mean the game will require more power to run since they aren't actually rendered - as in the only added thing from a collision mesh is telling parts that they can't pass through it

which again depending on how its currently done could mean as little as 10 or 20 extra physics models at any given time if we were to go the way of only activating physics models for any ground clutter object within lets say a 10m radius (which should be possible given that they're static so you only really need them when you bump into them - if we want them to move around as well then yes it would require a heck of a lot more power to calculate everything)

really we'd only need the actual collision models (as files sitting in the game folder waiting to be used), a bunch of nodes tell the game where a boulder is (which is really already there since there's visual model already that we could use) and then some form of range coding to trigger visual boulders into physical ones if they're in range of the currently controlled pod (maybe the physics activator for ship that already exists could be used for that?)

that's my theory anyway i'm not 100% on how unity does things or how flexible it is with this sort of thing

Perhaps an algorithm that "activates" a bounding/collision box or sphere if you're at a certain distance from it (kinda like LOD), and turns off the box if you're further way, can help in not making the entire thing a processor hog. But then being a non-dev I can only speculate.

UPDATE: Ooops, I didn't realize that this is what Uocjat was already talking about above, but then I didn't see his post while I was typing mine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.