[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hi, I'm still learning here, but can someone help me understand why my payload is hanging out like someone who's had way too many beers?

http://i.imgur.com/ur7djJh.jpg

You don't have a single strut on that vehicle. It's not just your payload, your SRB's are wobbly.

That said, make sure you have the latest version of Procedural Fairings. It's supposed to auto-strut payloads. How well it works I don't know yet but it cant hurt

It seems that you're:

a) Using improper fairing base size. You should set it to 2.5m to get a streamlined rocket. Especially with FAR.

B) Using tiny decoupler to attach your payload. Never use it with anything heavier than 1 ton - it meant for small satellites, not for manned vehicles. Use 1.25m and couple of struts.

If nothing helps: use KJR.

You don't have a single strut on that vehicle. It's not just your payload, your SRB's are wobbly.

That said, make sure you have the latest version of Procedural Fairings. It's supposed to auto-strut payloads. How well it works I don't know yet but it cant hurt

It seems that you're:

a) Using improper fairing base size. You should set it to 2.5m to get a streamlined rocket. Especially with FAR.

B) Using tiny decoupler to attach your payload. Never use it with anything heavier than 1 ton - it meant for small satellites, not for manned vehicles. Use 1.25m and couple of struts.

If nothing helps: use KJR.

I was using the auto-struts, but those didn't seem to be helping me. I redid my payload to have all the inner parts attached to a metal strut which seems to have help.

Also I was using the decoupler because the description of the fairing base said "decoupler sold separately." To a newbie like me I thought that meant I needed to add a decoupler.

Also I was using the decoupler because the description of the fairing base said "decoupler sold separately." To a newbie like me I thought that meant I needed to add a decoupler.

That is what it means. It has no decoupler. I think what bio is saying is that your decoupler is too small but that has nothing to do with floppy payloads. Nor does far or (AFAIK base size)

Hi, I would like to remove the fairing bases and keep only the thrust plate adapter and the procedural interstage, but I can't figure out what files I need to delete... a little help, please? :)

Hi, I would like to remove the fairing bases and keep only the thrust plate adapter and the procedural interstage, but I can't figure out what files I need to delete... a little help, please? :)

What I do is look through the part.cfg files, find the description, and if it matches the part I want to delete, I delete the .cfg!

So i was having the issue where the PF parts would not show up anywhere VAB/SPH/Career/Sandbox

Seems Tweakableeverything did something to it because it was ok once i removed said mod

Seems like the pFairings do not work well with part shielding of the latest FAR version.

<ferram4> acc: I think this problem is on pFairing's end. It seems to have to do with resizing the fairing.

For more informations see here and here

Gentlemen, I've encountered A PROBLEM.

So I unlocked 2.5 meter fairings upgrade. But when I right-click on the fairing base it elarges the base only to 1.5 meter.

That is weird, can somebody help me?

EDIT.

Read thw FAQ. Well, I'll have to unlock one more node

I ran into a minor problem in career mode (up-to-date pFairings 3.10). Atm i am in early career and the standard 1.25m base and hull parts don't have any unlock costs (credits) unlike all the other parts. I assume that would be the case on the "diameter upgrade parts" as well. A quick view into the base.cfg revealed that there is no entryCost.

If guess adding "entryCost = <amount>" would fix this, but pFairings has a somewhat uncommon cfg structure for the diameter upgrades. Where would i put the extra code line to get individual unlock costs for each upgrade?

Diameter upgrade "parts" are purely informational, the upgrade is unlocked when the tech node is researched, you don't need to buy the upgrade part to unlock the upgrade, so there are no associated unlock costs.

You could build an unmanned ( Yes. You ghoul! ) ship of moderate cost, whatever you feel is fair, SMASH it into Kerbin and consider that the unlock fee. Sort of a quasi-religious, sacrificial ceremony.

You could build an unmanned ( Yes. You ghoul! ) ship of moderate cost, whatever you feel is fair, SMASH it into Kerbin and consider that the unlock fee. Sort of a quasi-religious, sacrificial ceremony.

Very entertaining idea. :) However, i think that at least the initial unlock for pFairings should force the unlock fee because it is a new part in the tech tree. I might go with the free upgrade unlocks later on.

hi, it's been a long time since i've used PF in any form, so could anyone explain to me how buy-in works (or doesn't work) in career right now? i started a new game lately for 0.25, hit a few basic nodes before installing PF and the problem i'm running into is that if i go into the tech "flight control" node and buy into the 1.25m PF parts and fairing walls (well, activate, since it's 0 funds) in the tech tree, go back to the VAB/SPH, and go to use the parts, the walls show up as still requiring their entry purchase although i clearly did that, and the fairing bases don't allow any tweaking to 1.25m either. also tried with the deprecated parts folder removed but it's clearly stuck this way.

slightly clearer diagram:

problem.png