[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

On 12/11/2021 at 8:08 AM, MrPoker said:

Hi my .MU file is not exporting at real size. I exported 2 format. (FBX and MU). it appears as FBX is 9MB but the MU is 289Kb. Any ideas how to fix this? 

I dont remember exactly what the problem was, or exactly how to fix it, but wayyy bac, when i 1st started using Blender, I had lots of problems with exporting .fbx, for use in Unity. I then found out Unity can read/use .blend files directly, so i stopped using .fbx at all.

IIRC, its something where my .fbx's were exporting into Unity, then in-game the models would would be tiny... like 100x smaller.
You can do something by adjusting the export of the .fbx in the export settings... there was an actual input box for scale, and/or a checbox you had to adjust, on *every* export...
Half the time I would keep forgetting...

It was sssoooooo much easier just using the .blends directly in Unity. I dont know if you are exporting .fbx for use in Unity??

Edited by Stone Blue

@taniwha

Hi. It feels as if you may have given up on finishing this plugin and moved on to other things. Could you please confirm if this is the case or not?

If it is the case, can other programmers take over from you and if yes, can you recommend anyone?

I know that newer versions of blender stopped being able to use the addon, but BforArtists2 version 2.70 still is able to use it and has more than enough features that mean you don't have to have the newer versions of blender to be able to make parts for KSP. (and you can still download that version easily.)

Would be very much appreciated if you could just let us know.

Thank you.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, horace said:

does it work for blender 3?

No it doesn't and since we are still waiting to hear from the author it does not look likely soon. The last known to definitely work fork of blender is BforArtists 2 version 2.70. If I read it right it is based on Blender 2.93 alpha and so in theory should be the last to work. Follow the link and read to make up your own mind. If you choose to download and use it then you activate the plugin under the "Testing" section in preferences once you have placed it in the right folder. Example: C:\BforArtist2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons_contrib\io_object_mu-master

You will notice it is directly on the drive and not in "ProgramFiles."

Here is the link.

https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/releases/tag/v2.7.0

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

No it doesn't and since we are still waiting to hear from the author it does not look likely soon. The last known to definitely work fork of blender is BforArtists 2 version 2.70. If I read it right it is based on Blender 2.93 alpha and so in theory should be the last to work. Follow the link and read to make up your own mind. If you choose to download and use it then you activate the plugin under the "Testing" section in preferences once you have placed it in the right folder. Example: C:\BforArtist2\2.7.0\2.93\scripts\addons_contrib\io_object_mu-master

You will notice it is directly on the drive and not in "ProgramFiles."

Here is the link.

https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/releases/tag/v2.7.0

And if on Windows, do NOT install it into the normal location, you will have problems with the plug-in if you do

@OrbitalManeuvers@Stone Blue@OrdinaryKerman@AtomicTech@Concodroid

I am moving my discussion here as it is more relevant and may assist future readers.

I have added tags for 2 members who have knowledge in using blender for texturing and may be able to provide insight.

My dilema is I do not know how to get BforArtist 2 (equivalent of blender 2.93 alpha) to change which images the *.mu file looks for to texture parts of a model, without having to use a Hex editor, and as such I am limited to the number of characters the original texture file had as it's title, as I am afraid to change the number as it might damage something. Following OrbitalManeuvers instructions I thought I had found the right section, but even though I edit in program and it looks right, it reverts to the original texture names when exporting as an mu. I am missing something that makes the edit to new texture files permanent. I feel that I have gleaned a lot more about how the texture/shading is handled, but just can't make it stick.

If anyone can help to tutorial how to make it work, it would be appreciated.

@ColdJ Actually, you are *NOT* limited to the original number of characters in the filename... or the file extension, either

If using a hexeditor to change the filename, count your character length (I cheat.. I copy paste the filename+extension, and use this website: https://charactercounttool.com/ )...
Then take the character length, convert to hex (I cheat again & use this website: http://www.palmantics.com/html/hexadecimal/ )

Then take the hex for the length, and edit it to the character right in front of the filename, as highlited here: (thats a field that contains the expected character length for the immediately following texture file name)
9YQuS2a.jpg

Do this for *each* texture file...

Optionally, also, if you *add* or *remove* texture files, edit *this* value to = the total number of textures assigned to the .mu (its always the 5th value ahead of *only* the first texture :
AxwUz9y.jpg

Heres one with *three* textures:
vutCa87.jpg

That should do it for the hexeditor method. A BIG THANX to @cineboxandrew for teaching me that... I *think* I remembered that all correctly :P

I still am workking on getting my BFA install setup, to explain how to do it in there.

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I still am workking on getting my BFA install setup, to explain how to do it in there.

Thank you for that. I was always worried that if I changed the length I would mess up the field. It seems that counting is straight forward, Begining of title to last letter of suffix. I have taken a picture of the Hex page so I can consult the chart offline. I had no clue there was a value for the length in there, that is very valuable to know. and then a value for the number of images. Never would have guessed that either. It is all hexidecimal to me. (Greek)

Taken a pic of your post so I can easily reference it. I will let you know if I do it successfully.

I also note that there must be 4x 0 before and after  each text file too. (hexidecimal 00) or 3 then the character count,then the hex characters, then the 4 zeros.

What me confused :cry:

Edited by ColdJ

@Stone Blue

Ok, I have successfully used your Hex editor info to change the texture file names to ones that have a different character file length and have it show up properly in the 3d editor when the model is loaded in again. There appears to be some background data cache in the program that I am failing to clear and reset to my new input before exporting, I have tried many ways to have the change take, including completely removing the main texture in the shader section and then adding a new one of my own. (I think, I had an image texture and the right colour node but the title wasn't "_maintexture" so I am not sure it was correct.) But as yet I am still lost in translation.

Really strange is that somehow the one I edited had the texture wrap a *.dds image the right way even though the program doesn't flip *.dds images to match things like png or Jpg, and so displays them upside down, which means the UV map doesn't line up. And yet somehow it lined it up. The universe just likes to play mind games I reckon,

I think I have worked out how to change the texture files the model looks for in the 3D editor now.

Under "Materials" if you scroll down far enough you get "MU Shaders". Inside this section is a Texture section drop down and inside it are the texture node labels. In this example "_MainTex" and "Emissive". When you click on one of those a further section appears that has the image file name associated with that node. You can edit that name to change the image file that is referenced. It seems to have worked for me so cross fingers I have it now. 2K_Pod is the image name for the main texture and 2K_PodE for the emissive.

dqTILgV.png

gsWYl91.png

On 1/16/2022 at 6:14 AM, ColdJ said:

I am moving my discussion here as it is more relevant and may assist future readers.

I have added tags for 2 members who have knowledge in using blender for texturing and may be able to provide insight.

My dilema is I do not know how to get BforArtist 2 (equivalent of blender 2.93 alpha) to change which images the *.mu file looks for to texture parts of a model, without having to use a Hex editor, and as such I am limited to the number of characters the original texture file had as it's title, as I am afraid to change the number as it might damage something. Following OrbitalManeuvers instructions I thought I had found the right section, but even though I edit in program and it looks right, it reverts to the original texture names when exporting as an mu. I am missing something that makes the edit to new texture files permanent. I feel that I have gleaned a lot more about how the texture/shading is handled, but just can't make it stick.

If anyone can help to tutorial how to make it work, it would be appreciated.

Hmm. Why not try and use normal blender to getting the parts right, and then transfer it over to BforArtists?

I don't know much about BforArtists, but I expect it should at least be able to import working objects from normal blender.

2 hours ago, Concodroid said:

Hmm. Why not try and use normal blender to getting the parts right, and then transfer it over to BforArtists?

I don't know much about BforArtists, but I expect it should at least be able to import working objects from normal blender.

Very glad to see you. I would love some basic text and pic tutorials from you. You are well advanced compared to me.

Couldn't find links to older Blender builds and the new ones don't work with the plugin. BforArtists 2, 2.70, is basically Blender 2.93 alpha with a nicer interface, so it is Blender.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:37 PM, ColdJ said:

Very glad to see you. I would love some basic text and pic tutorials from you. You are well advanced compared to me.

Couldn't find links to older Blender builds and the new ones don't work with the plugin. BforArtists 2, 2.70, is basically Blender 2.93 alpha with a nicer interface, so it is Blender.

The last one that always works in my experience is Blender 2.83 LTS. Alternatively, just follow my tutorial, it has the link to it lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Figured it out. My own fault as usual.

If you find yourself having issues importing .mu files for models with normal(bump) maps, use blender 2.83 (ignore that +) and it will work fine.

Edited by Randazzo

1 hour ago, Randazzo said:

EDIT: Figured it out. My own fault as usual.

If you find yourself having issues importing .mu files for models with normal(bump) maps, use blender 2.83 (ignore that +) and it will work fine.

Never saw your original post but seeing as I am using the equivalent of 2.93 alpha and I can import models with bump maps you should be able to use up to that.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about with the latest blender, but it does not work with 2.93alpha. I just tried it and got the error window come up and no model. I have gone back to the version I had installed and that still works.

@taniwha

@taniwhais it normal, that fairings dont get properly imported? when i import an ssto that uses fairings as a body/engine podsit comes out all wonky, same as flags and other parts with variants

PS: do you have a discord? if not you can find me on Gameslinx's discord

Edited by Benjineer
added the @ mention

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, OCLASTAX said:

Hello! I recently downloaded you adding and i've been loving it so far, i had a few issues tho so i was wondering if i could maybe ask you a few questions on discord if your open to that,

Thx in advance!

No need to ask permission to ask questions :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask.