I never like to kill the Kerbals

Bradvh97

In my latest flight to the mun with 3 Kerbals I immediately knew that there was not enough fuel to return to Kerbin after I landed on the munar surface. I sent out a rescue ship but after so long of waiting for sunlight to hit the rescue spot I tried to land. I landed about 88km away from the rescue site. I luckily had installed 3 seats on my 2 rovers I took to the mun. After several quicksaves and loading back up again the furthest I'd traveled from my original spot was 5km, the surface was just to hilly and I kept crashing. After careful consideration I decided to terminate the flight and return home with the 1 Kerbal aboard the rescue ship I had sent to save the other 3.

Moral of the story is, I don't like killing Kerbals.

I consider Kerbals trapped in space without adequate fuel to get them home as much as a failure as killing them.

The only place I can forgive myself when that happens is Laythe.

At least they can breathe and fish for food.

To keep the mortality rate low, send probes until you get good at completing the mission. Eventually, Career Mode is going to make it difficult for you to recruit Kerbals for missions if they become afraid of being killed on a mission. But, for now, just keep building, testing, and flying.

You can always send supply ships to the stranded ones until you can send them a rescue ship.

I don't have Kerbals 'die' on me often. But when that happens, I'd like to pretend that they got 'fired' instead of being killed for their bad piloting skills and that's why I don't see them in the roster anymore.

"Spaceflight will never tolerate carelessness, incapacity, and neglect. Somewhere, somehow, we screwed up. It could have been in design, build, or test. Whatever it was, we should have caught it. We were too gung ho about the schedule and we locked out all of the problems we saw each day in our work. Every element of the program was in trouble and so were we. The simulators were not working, Mission Control was behind in virtually every area, and the flight and test procedures changed daily. Nothing we did had any shelf life. Not one of us stood up and said, 'Dammit, stop!' I don't know what Thompson's committee will find as the cause, but I know what I find. We are the cause! We were not ready! We did not do our job. We were rolling the dice, hoping that things would come together by launch day, when in our hearts we knew it would take a miracle. We were pushing the schedule and betting that the Cape would slip before we did. From this day forward, Flight Control will be known by two words: 'Tough' and 'Competent.' Tough means we are forever accountable for what we do or what we fail to do. We will never again compromise our responsibilities. Every time we walk into Mission Control we will know what we stand for. Competent means we will never take anything for granted. We will never be found short in our knowledge and in our skills. Mission Control will be perfect. When you leave this meeting today you will go to your office and the first thing you will do there is to write 'Tough and Competent' on your blackboards. It will never be erased. Each day when you enter the room these words will remind you of the price paid by Grissom, White, and Chaffee. These words are the price of admission to the ranks of Mission Control."

Gene Kranz

All one needs to remember if you wish to save Kermen lives.

Edited by Camelotking524

I'm just about to go rescue two of my Kerbals, I put my docking port on backwards, and now they don't have one... Hoping I can EVA them to their rescue ship.

I have another one 'stranded' on a small base at Minmus, but I figure he has enough resources to wait for a while until I go get him haha.

Since 0.21 came out, I've only killed one Kerbal, and it was today. You see, all was well. Jeb was descending with one of those Vanguard parachutes. The parachute opened, and I did the usual force time accelerate to get to the ground faster, then I alt-tabbed, which is what I usually do. Problem is I forgot what I was doing, so while I was alt-tabbed, the accelerated physic killed Jeb when he touched down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.