[0.21.1] StretchyTanks v0.2.2 (updated 8-26-13)

AncientGammoner

A jet fuselage pattern would be fantastic. The worst part of spaceplanes is that the fuel causes the center of gravity to change over time as the tanks deplete.

Thanks for doing this, this is way overdue. I can't wait to see one or two more texture options in the future.

I'd really like to see independent radius adjustment on both ends of the tank (with snapping to standard sizes, for easy adjustments). Also, more texture options would be nice (orange, KW-style white).

I wonder if it's possible to program this so while actually in flight, the fuel tank will shrink as the fuel depletes and increase in size as it is refuelled. Would be an exiting concept to see, but great mod; I personally have no use for it but i can see how others would.

Modules are non-destructive. You can easily add "reflective" MFS support to this by adding the MFS module, and stock KSP will ignore it.

Check how ProcWings handles FAR integration.

Awesome mod, btw--I'll try as soon as I get back to desktop. Been waiting so long for this!

It's not just a matter of adding the module though, the volume property of ModuleFuelTanks would have to be set on the fly as it's resized. If that's done then it ought to work just fine.

(I had some interesting results when I tried adding it by config file alone. MFS recognized mass changes and reported the volume increasingly negative as I increased the size. Probably because it saw much more fuel in there than what it had been told was in there)

This mod is fantastic and seems really well balanced to the stock parts which is great. My one and only complaint is that the texture looks a bit like the walls of a padded cell :P

Totally understand the reasons for the repeating texture though.

Honestly guys, the texture is not bad at all, and its much like actual tank insulation used RL (though im not sure if its used for rockets, but for many industrial gasses).

Also before you nitpick to much about the texture load up GIMP or APS or anything like that, load any picture at all, and streach it along a single axis........THATS the nightmare of texturing these tanks.

Just wanted to share how truly badass this mod is:

My biggest lifter was all stock parts and could lift 160tons into LKO with little effort. Just the launcher was 342 parts total(plus ya have to add payload...). Today I rebuild that launcher using Proc-Tanks.....EXACT same amount of fuel and DeltaV per stage, exact same performance and flight characteristics.........ONLY 56 PARTS!!!!!

You good sir, are a genius! Aesthetics aren't too much of a concern in my opinon when you have tanks you can CUSTOM SIZE ON THE FLY! Brilliant!

In terms of texture, maybe a simple two-colour base for the tanks that'll not really look that odd while stretched, forego logo. But all in all, not a big issue, love this, you just made a wonderful thing. XD

Edited by Gaiabladegold
Clarification

First (procedural tanks) bug report time! I seem to have them vanishing in orbit occasionally when loading/saving/going vehicle view -> map view -> vehicle again, causing the camera to bug out.

Edit: I'll add details as I get better at reproducing this.

Edit 2: First I gotta rescue Bill and Jeb though.

Edited by Reddot99

ermmm. Is this working as intended?

A 200kn engine running on a 14 ton rocket with the P tank produces alot of acceleration. While the same craft without the P tanks doesnt accelerate as fast.

Oh and BUG REPORT: While launching a rocket with the tanks, the camera gets messed up.

Edited by rasheed

Excellent. As stated repeatedly variable content via MFS or similar is greatly desired.

Regarding texturing, is it possible to tile or modularize and not stretch? Maybe a texture top and bottom with a stretched or tiled filler between? I don't know what's really possible here.

Has anyone had any issues with tanks refilling themselves? I had that happen to me today with a stretched 2.5 tank. I got my craft to orbit and then saved a maneuver in Kerbal Alarm Clock. Switched back to my spaceport to do some time warping and when I switched back to my craft the tank was magically full! I'll try and replicate the issue and post any findings.

Has anyone had any issues with tanks refilling themselves? I had that happen to me today with a stretched 2.5 tank. I got my craft to orbit and then saved a maneuver in Kerbal Alarm Clock. Switched back to my spaceport to do some time warping and when I switched back to my craft the tank was magically full! I'll try and replicate the issue and post any findings.

I noticed this once or twice so far, yeah.

Oh great!... Now I've got to try to find room for yet another "must have" mod... This is getting insane, I mean every time I turn around it seems that there's a new mod that I just have to have, and can't live without... Great job on the tanks BTW, I love them and can't live without them!

I noticed this once or twice so far, yeah.

Ah yes thanks guys I found the bug, it will be fixed in the next update which will be soon.

Ran into a bit of a problem. These tanks don't seem to play nice with struts.

1wjrEGD.png

those struts are about 12km long...and its acting as if the whole length is part of the ship.

There was nothing in debug window, I did dump to an output log, lemme know if you want that.

This started at about 7km, was 2nd stage i dropped. The were instantly about 800meters or so ad started streatching. Not sure if they stopped, got to hard to judge with the camers messed up so bad and no spent stages behind me to gauge distance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.